New Orleans Review

twotall

From the hotel that you stayed at, approximately how far of a walk was it to the streetcar station and how far to Bourbon Street and the surrounding area?

The Drury Inn is located directly on the St. Charles streetcar line. Streetcars run one-way along Carondelet St. towards the end of the line at Canal St. They then run one block down Canal and then turn back onto St Charles which is one-way towards the Garden District. It's a short one block walk from the Drury to the St. Charles St. stop. Very convenient.

We timed it one evening and it took us exactly 7 minutes walking from Drury's front door to the intersection of Bourbon and Canal. It's about a 15 minute walk from Drury to Jackson Square and Cafe du Monde.

We will have a vehicle, but I think you said that there was no parking onsite - how does that work at this hotel?

You need to call the hotel for the latest details but I believe they are offering valet parking off-site during construction. You really don't need a car to explore the downtown area. It's very easy to walk most places and the streetcars can get you to locations farther away.

Also where did you get the walking tours that you e-mailed to the phones? That is a handy trick for sure!

I'm not sure if I allowed to mention the site ;)...F r o m m e r ' s

• 4 weeks later...

This is the best review I have read on cruise critic! Thanks for posting the review and the pictures. I will put up a link to this review on my current roll call. We are doing a repositioning cruise from NY to NOLA in October.

Thank you very much Twotall for the great review.

We will be doing the NCL cruise next April and will be spending 7 days in NOLA before the cruise. We were there for 3 days in May 2004 before Katrina. That cruise was a Mississippi Paddle Wheel River boat upstream to Memphis.

Thank you again for all the information.

Norine

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your awesome review! Enjoyed reading it very much. We cruised out of NOLA in 2011 and are about to head back there to cruise on the Carnival Elation the end of this month. Your review has given me some new ideas on what to do prior to our cruise - so thanks again!

Thanks for the amazing review, Twotall. Like your wife, I have always wanted to visit New Orleans and we will be doing that in February of 2013 as my retirement present to myself. I've allotted 5 days pre-cruise for the visit but after reading your reviews, we might just have to add a few more days.

Your pictures, descriptions, and helpful hints are fantastic and add to the anticipation of our visit.

We headed up Esplanade Ave. and turned right on N. Rampart St. which turns into St. Claude Ave. We followed along St. Claude, drove through the Upper Ninth Ward, crossed over the Industrial Canal, and proceeded to the intersection of St. Claude & Angela Street. This placed us in roughly the center of the Louisiana National Guard complex. We turned left on Angela and left again on Claiborne Ave.

This is one of several brand new National Guard buildings that were constructed after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

P1060355.jpg

I work in that building on my drill weekends. Awesome review, glad you had such a wonderful time in N.O.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you once again to everyone for your kind words. New Orleans is a wonderful city and we certainly enjoyed our time there. We'll likely explore other vacation spots as our daughter grows up but I'm certain that Kristen and I will return again some day. Who knows, maybe a good spot to retire???

Thanks again, twotall

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the review! I'm heading to New Orleans for the first time in November, and this review was my first "study" of the area. I took lots of notes and appreciate all the details! The only thing missing from the review was food photos. ;)

We're staying in the Garden District at the Prytania Park Hotel. Great rates, about a minute walk to catch the street car, and only 15 blocks to the French Quarter! Saw this place recommended here on Cruise Critic.

We're staying in the Garden District at the Prytania Park Hotel. Great rates, about a minute walk to catch the street car, and only 15 blocks to the French Quarter! Saw this place recommended here on Cruise Critic.

Great little hotel. Not exactly modern, but nice. Even though I live here in N.O., I've stayed there a few times, including my wedding weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree! We will be on the dream in exactly one month! And in New Orleans for the first time the day before. We can't wait to see the french quarter for ourselves. :). Preacher's wife

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...