Herculaneum

Sea42

there is a new visitor centre now with great bathrooms.

Yes, this new visitor center is nice at Herculaneum. We had visited Pompeii on our 1999 four-day land trip to this great area and we wanted to sample Herculaneum on this second visit.

Herculaneum was a nearby luxury resort town for the elite of the Roman empire. Pompeii would still probably be the first-choice as its variety and options are more there. Plus, bigger crowds!!?? Herculaneum was a very nice option to do for our re-visit to this area and it was good to be able to see it without battling large numbers of other people.

Only about a third of this total historic site has been opened up as the other areas are covered over by current housing/suburbs of Naples. I can post more of my visuals, if of interest; or . . . check out more details on the Amalfi Coast, Italy, Barcelona, etc., from the live/blog connected below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 77,224 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We are getting ready to enter Herculaneum's main market area and this is part of the overall view for this section of the super historic town.:

HerculMainPlazaEntering.jpg

For the baths at Herculaneum, this view shows the arched roof that managed to survive the fall-out and coverage by the volcano ash.:

HerculBathsInterior.jpg

This is the interior of the temple or religious area at Herculaneum used by local residents there.:

HerculRelTempeInterior.jpg

For one of the most elite homes in Herculaneum, this was the view from the dining area out towards their enclosed gardens that had an overlook of the coast at that time before the volcano eruption.:

HerculOutdoorGardenResidence.jpg

These were a couple of grain grinding stones/tools used to prepared bread and food at Herculaneum.:

HerculGrainGrindingArea.jpg

This picture shows some of the “pots” used to store food or other items for sale at a shop at Herculaneum.:

HerculPotsFromStoreArea.jpg

There always seems to be a lot of discussion around which of the ancient sites to see: Pompeii or Herculaneum? They are both worthwhile, and are more similar than different, despite the fact that they were "buried" in different ways by the Vesuvius eruption.

Having just spent quite a chunk of time at both sites (2 days at Pompeii, better part of a day at Herculaneum), I thought I'd give my impressions.

Overall, Pompeii has much more to offer as a site. I've read again and again that Herculaneum is "better preserved", but I don't buy that. I think the problem is that Pompeii is a much bigger site and people don't do the necessary research to find the parts of Pompeii that are as well (or better) preserved as anything you can see in Herculaneum. Pompeii is simply staggering in the wealth of things to see. I spent two days there (and had visited before, so skipped some things, like the amphitheatre) and still didn't have enough time to see everything I wanted to see. However, most people don't want to devote 2 days to Pompeii, more like 2 hours. :D

In preparing for my visit, I read numerous trip reports here and on other travel sites. I concluded that guides tend to take people to the same few places in Pompeii, often ignoring the richest houses because they tend to open and close randomly, so you can't "tell" your tour in advance that they can see something, only to have to eat your words. Customers don't like that. Also, a lot of these houses are not large. You can't get a big group of people into and out of them together very easily, especially not during the busier months.

But if you take the time to read the detailed information I posted before on getting the most out of Pompeii ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1609893&highlight=pompeii), you can see many amazing things, even in a half-day visit.

This isn't to say that Herculaneum isn't fascinating and yes, it has some very nice houses as well. Unfortunately, like Pompeii, these suffer from random closings. But on balance -- as an example, the level of decoration in the Herculaneum baths vs. the Forum or Suburban Baths at Pompeii -- there's no doubt that Pompeii's aren't much richer sites.

Herculaneum is ideal for those without a deep interest in ruins or history. You can go through in a couple of hours and feel you've seen a good sampling of what's there. Trying to do the same in Pompeii is an exercise in frustration.

In addition, a few other unique things about Herculaneum include: 1) some wood was preserved, so you can see balconies, large wooden door/screens, a few wooden pieces of furniture; 2) other everyday objects were a bit better preserved as well. However, I was somewhat surprised, having read so much about the objects found at Pompeii, that most of them were not on display there but rather were in the museum.

So for me, I'd say the following:

Herculaneum: For those wanting a "quick" ruins experience, for those who've seen Pompeii already, for those without a lot of time

Pompeii: For those who want a fuller, richer idea of what life was like, for those who can take the needed time to see the site

Terry has posted some great photos of Herculaneum. I invite you to have a look at my Pompeii album just to get an idea of what's there, if you are prepared to find it:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100512912092332646310/Pompeii2012?authkey=Gv1sRgCKaYuIrEvO7SPw#

Edited by cruisemom42

There always seems to be a lot of discussion around which of the ancient sites to see: Pompeii or Herculaneum? They are both worthwhile, and are more similar than different, despite the fact that they were "buried" in different ways by the Vesuvius eruption.

Terry has posted some great photos of Herculaneum. I invite you to have a look at my Pompeii album just to get an idea of what's there, if you are prepared to find it.

Great summary, research and background, as always, by Cynthia. Appreciate her mention of my pictures. She sums up things very, very well. Both are excellent, but different. Much depends on what you seek, need, work with your overall timing in the area, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 77,224 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I had the pleasure of visiting both sites in consecutive years, and I agree with Cynthia there is more depth/breadth, fuller picture of Roman life in what you can see at Pompeii.

However, speaking solely on a very mundane basis but I believe it is something to consider, it is very hard physically on one's feet and ankles to explore Pompeii for many hours due to the large street paving stones. I literally had to force my spouse, who has weak ankles, to leave after about five hours when he fell down for the second time. I spent a lot of time walking on the narrow dirt portions at the sides of the roads, but constantly had to watch my steps. So hands down, Herculaneum was much easier to navigate on the dirt/gravel paths.

I'd say you need a bare minimum of 2 hours to see the site at Herculaneum. Some do it in less, but miss quite a bit. Thinking back, I'd say that we spent 5 hours on site when we went. We had planned to visit Herculaneum in the morning and Villa Oplontis in the the afternoon, but once we got to Herculaneum we realized we'd need longer there than we had anticipated. (I realize most people won't have the same desire to see things in depth.)

Remember to allow about an hour for taking the train from Sorrento to Herculaneum, then another 20 minutes or so from Herculaneum to Naples.

If you decide Herculaneum is a yes, I'm happy to send you my notes.

Cruisemom, would you mind sending me your notes for Herculaneum? The site is on our list for our next visit to Naples. My email address is cruiserscc [@] gmail.com. Thank you so much.

One follow up if I may, at Pompeii there are guides for hire at the gate for 10€ per person. Is that an option at Herculaneum?

Yes there are guides sitting around the visitor centre where you get your tickets. You will probably find they will take you as part of a very small group.

I have to say I'm really impressed how much one can learn from other cruise lovers! Thank you All! We decided to go to Herculaneum as I'm pregnant and as much as we love sightseeing we have to take it easy this time round. Could you please advise how to get to Heraculaneum from the cruise port (on a budget so would prefer to use public transport)? Also if anyone tried pizza in Naples - can you please recommend a good pizzeria? Many thanks in advance :)

Itis very easy, When you come out of the cruise port terminal, walk across to the News stand and ask the vendor for tickets to Herculaneum (Ercolano) on the train. he will sell you the tickets and show youwhere to catch the tram.I have drawn a red line that you need to follow. there is only 1 tram and it will take you up to where the train station teminal is.

Gettoherculaneum-1.jpg

As you travel up you get off at the station shown in the picture. You can see a tram standing at the stop, leave the tram and enter the station, you need to find the platform for Ercolano, ask at one of the windoews and they will tell you the number. When on the train, you will be getting off at Ercolano Scavi. There are route plans on the train, so its easy to spot which station is next and when to get off. When you get to Ercolano Scavi, go out of the station and walk to the right and then left.

Gettoherculaneum-4.jpg

You can see right down the road over the top of the fountain. The entrance is at the bottom of the hill. There are lots of shops on the way down where you can buy water.

Gettoherculaneum-3.jpg

The return is just backtracking, all the trains stopping willtake you back to the station in Naples, Stay on the train until you are right at the end of the line and then take the tram outside of the station where you got off. (going the other way of course). get off again at the end of the line and you are back at the ship.

AndyM - Thank you for the fantastic information. We were planning on taking a cab just to make things easier and to save some time but with your helpful information I'm going to rethink it. It sounds straight forward enough that even I could do it!

Carol

Many thanks Andym for your reply and all the info an photos. I couldn't imagine a better explanation! It does look easy, and I love trams so it would be exciting to take one in Italy. Can't wait for my cruise now. Naples is the last port of call so I have our whole trip organised now :)

Edited by Bitten by the cruise bug

• 2 weeks later...

CornishPastyman, thanks so much for posting your videos. They are fabulous. Not only can I now see how much of Pompeii we missed the first time we were there, I am inspired to see Herculaneium too. Although this is our first port and we will be jet-lagged, I will be making the effort to revisit and can't wait to go now in October!

CornishPastyman, thanks so much for posting your videos. They are fabulous. Not only can I now see how much of Pompeii we missed the first time we were there, I am inspired to see Herculaneium too. Although this is our first port and we will be jet-lagged, I will be making the effort to revisit and can't wait to go now in October!

Thanks for your kind words. If it's of help or interest the full set from that W Med cruise is here http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1633637

I didn't do one for Palermo because I really only went to the catacombs, where photography is not permitted, for understandable reasons. If you want to do this it is a 2-bus job to get there (but only 1 ticket as you will be within the 75 minute limit from when you first validate it)

As you leave the port area you will soon see a small information booth where you can pick up a map. Tell the assistant you want to go to the catacombs and he/she will mark the bus stops and numbers on it. From memory it was the 104 to start, and you get out at the Palazzio de Normanni. I can't remember what number the second bus is, but if it isn't there quickly you can walk there (3/4 mile) going down the utterly unremarkable Via Cappucini until you come to a small crossroads. Turn right into Via Pindermonte, and you will see the Catacombs in 20 yards

If you go straight on instead of turning right, Via Cappucini becomes Via Guiseppe Pitre and you've gone too far so stop and turn around !

Entry to the catacombs costs 3 Euros and it is open 9-12 and 3-7. It's a one-trick attraction but I was very glad I went, and the story is fascinating. Maximum half an hour needed in there. From leaving the ship reckon on an hour to get there. If you get lucky with the buses you could do it in 45 minutes, but time seeps away buying tickets from the tabacchi and locating the nearest bus stop.

Coming back I took that second bus back to the Palazzio and was going to get the 104 back to near the port but at the last minute decided to walk it, and I'm so glad I did as I went into the cathedral and saw a fair bit of intriguing architecture.

I'd say you need a bare minimum of 2 hours to see the site at Herculaneum. Some do it in less, but miss quite a bit. Thinking back, I'd say that we spent 5 hours on site when we went. We had planned to visit Herculaneum in the morning and Villa Oplontis in the the afternoon, but once we got to Herculaneum we realized we'd need longer there than we had anticipated. (I realize most people won't have the same desire to see things in depth.)

Remember to allow about an hour for taking the train from Sorrento to Herculaneum, then another 20 minutes or so from Herculaneum to Naples.

If you decide Herculaneum is a yes, I'm happy to send you my notes.

Hi CruiseMom!

I would love to have a copy of your notes. We are headed there in August. Thanks in advance!

mindybrum@yahoo.com

Hi CruiseMom!

I would love to have a copy of your notes. We are headed there in August. Thanks in advance!

mindybrum@yahoo.com

CruiseMOm-I would love a copy of your notes. We will begin our cruise

5/30/12. Thanks SeaFlorida@Hotmail.com

I am traveling in Provence right now and do not have access to my documents on my home computer. I will send to you when I get home, but that may be too late for SeaFlorida -- sorry.