Herculaneum

Sea42

I have never done the trip from Salerno to Herculaneum, but have researched it for others. The information given by me and by euro cruiser in this thread should be helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1970795&highlight=salerno+herculaneum

Thanks for the information and all your research.

Hi Cruisemom

we were thinking about on our own by train or whatever is easiest from Salerno

thanks Deb

We are looking forward to visiting Herculeneum on our cruise this fall.

However, the port stop has been changed from Naples to Salerno, so, I would

appreciate any advice and instructions on how to get to the site from Salerno on our own.

Thanks for the help.

We will be going from the port of Salerno to Pompeii, Mt Vesuvius, and Herculaneum in early June. From my research it is somewhat challenging to DIY to these sites from Salerno, especially on a Sunday. Some reviews from last season also had problems getting out of the port on weekdays, due to the port being the main loading location for Fiat.

On Sunday's there is limited train service (one ever 30-60 minutes from Salerno in the AM and one every 60-90 minutes to Salerno in the PM). This Cruise Critic review has a photo description from Salerno to Pompeii and return. The first part of the review gives an overview of how to get between the port and train station.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39631292&postcount=255

Also on Sunday there are no car rental companies open. If you are there any other day this is the local Hertz company: http://www.sifracar.com/home.htm

Being that our port day is Sunday and with the limited DIY options we have booked with AP Tours, per reviews by 'texancruzer' on these Port of Call threads.

https://www.sharedtoursinitaly.com/salerno-port/salerno-port-pompeii-herculaneum-mt-vesuvius

Looking to get thoughts/insight on best DIY way to see both Herculaneum and Sorrento while docked in Naples (DIY meaning without a formal tour and only utilizing trains, hydrofoil, etc.). Thanks in advance for insight/tips from those who have done this! We are docking from 8:00am - 6:00pm on a Friday in April.

Is it better to do train to Herculaneum and then continue on train to Sorrento if time allows, with final return to Naples on train - OR - Should we try hydrofil to Sorrento for a few hours, then train to Herculaneum, and back to Naples?

Hold your gasps but...is Sorrento worth the additional trek if we are already on a 12 day cruise from Barcelona to Venice seeing much of the Mediterranean and Adriatic? If we choose the first option from my first question and visit Herculaneum first, we simply don't want to be cutting our time at the ruins short only to go onto what looks to be a beautiful town but one that is potentially very similar to many of the others we will be visiting. Obviously we want to see it all but you have to make decisions right??? We are leaning towards that first option so that if we decide we simply love the ruins, we can just stay there...but then everyone tells us we just HAVE to see part of the Amalfi coast, and I know Sorrento is technically the gateway and on the bay side but...well, we just want to make sure we're not missing out. We figured if we get to the ruins and it's bad weather or we are over it rather quick, we can always just continue on to Sorrento?

Finally, the pizza...I know it's completely touristy, but I have very few must sees/dos on this trip and one of them is having some amazing pizza, so we wanted to leave time to get back into Naples to get some pizza before returing to the ship. Suggestions for best place to go around 3:30pm'sh so we can still get back to ship by 4:30pm for a 6:00pm departure?

• 2 weeks later...
Looking to get thoughts/insight on best DIY way to see both Herculaneum and Sorrento while docked in Naples (DIY meaning without a formal tour and only utilizing trains, hydrofoil, etc.). Thanks in advance for insight/tips from those who have done this! We are docking from 8:00am - 6:00pm on a Friday in April.

Is it better to do train to Herculaneum and then continue on train to Sorrento if time allows, with final return to Naples on train - OR - Should we try hydrofil to Sorrento for a few hours, then train to Herculaneum, and back to Naples?

Hold your gasps but...is Sorrento worth the additional trek if we are already on a 12 day cruise from Barcelona to Venice seeing much of the Mediterranean and Adriatic? If we choose the first option from my first question and visit Herculaneum first, we simply don't want to be cutting our time at the ruins short only to go onto what looks to be a beautiful town but one that is potentially very similar to many of the others we will be visiting. Obviously we want to see it all but you have to make decisions right??? We are leaning towards that first option so that if we decide we simply love the ruins, we can just stay there...but then everyone tells us we just HAVE to see part of the Amalfi coast, and I know Sorrento is technically the gateway and on the bay side but...well, we just want to make sure we're not missing out. We figured if we get to the ruins and it's bad weather or we are over it rather quick, we can always just continue on to Sorrento?

Finally, the pizza...I know it's completely touristy, but I have very few must sees/dos on this trip and one of them is having some amazing pizza, so we wanted to leave time to get back into Naples to get some pizza before returing to the ship. Suggestions for best place to go around 3:30pm'sh so we can still get back to ship by 4:30pm for a 6:00pm departure?

Sorry -- I just saw this. You may already have decided what to do.

Given that you're going in April (great time!), you could really do Herculaneum first or last, as the weather shouldn't be too warm. For someone going in July or August, I'd definitely plan to do Herculaneum first.

The thing to consider with Sorrento is that -- if you are going there to shop, a majority of the stores close from 1:00 to about 3:30 for their lunch. A few of the touristy stores will be open, as will restaurants. So take that as you will....

Some people love Sorrento, but I am not one. I stayed there for a week and while it had some charm, it is very tourist-centric. Good restaurants (e.g., not ones with touristic menus) were hard to find, and if you are not a shopper, there isn't alot more to do there.

I'd do a search about the pizza question. Others have posted some recommendations not too far from the port, and eurocruiser has posted a link to the list of the certified authentic Neopolitan pizzerias -- you can't go wrong if you find one of them. I've been to at least three and all were "ottimo"!

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry -- I just saw this. You may already have decided what to do.

Given that you're going in April (great time!), you could really do Herculaneum first or last, as the weather shouldn't be too warm. For someone going in July or August, I'd definitely plan to do Herculaneum first.

The thing to consider with Sorrento is that -- if you are going there to shop, a majority of the stores close from 1:00 to about 3:30 for their lunch. A few of the touristy stores will be open, as will restaurants. So take that as you will....

Some people love Sorrento, but I am not one. I stayed there for a week and while it had some charm, it is very tourist-centric. Good restaurants (e.g., not ones with touristic menus) were hard to find, and if you are not a shopper, there isn't alot more to do there.

I'd do a search about the pizza question. Others have posted some recommendations not too far from the port, and eurocruiser has posted a link to the list of the certified authentic Neopolitan pizzerias -- you can't go wrong if you find one of them. I've been to at least three and all were "ottimo"!

Thank you!!! GREAT insight and exactly what I was looking for. My gut is we will pass on Sorrento and just split our day between Herculaneum and Naples. And speaking of gut, that will give us more time to sample multiple pizzas!!! : )

If not too late, we would also love to look at your Herculaneum notes. My email is emcollins3@gmail.com and thank you in advance!!!

• 4 weeks later...

We will be stopping in Naples for the day on a friday in August and only want to see Herculaneum. I have looked all over and I can not find anyone who has started in Salerno, stopped at the Trenitalia station in Ercolano (Portici-Ercolano Station), and walked to the site. I know cruiseMom42 made a google map of the path, but has anyone actually walked from the Portici-Ercolano Station to the scavi? Has anyone ever been to the station to know if there are any taxi there?

Everywhere else I have searched has people either: 1) going to Naples to switch lines, 2) going to Pompeii to switch lines. I posted the question elsewhere and everyone seems to confuse the station I am talking about. Everyone always assumes the only station in Ercolano is the Circumvesuviana station.

Based on CruiseMom42's map, the area looks a little shady. for a mile walk, but better than wlaking a mile in Pompeii to switch trains. It just seems simpler.

Cruisemum42 I would be very grateful if I could have a copy of your notes. muse038 at hotmail . com

I wonder if anyone could advise. We're visiting Naples in Aug. After reading this thread I'm just planning on doing Herculeneum by train. My issue is that my son has some minor mobility problems meaning he would most probably be able to walk around the site as long as we take his wheelchair so he doesn't have to walk to and from the train station as well.

So my questions are, would there be somewhere we can leave it at the site? How far and how easy a walk is it from the train station? How accessible are the two stations?

Any general advice?

Hi Cruisemom, could I have your notes as well please? monybrian at gmail dot com

We're docking in Naples twice on our cruise, 15th (we've organised a private tour to Positano, Ravello & Sorrento with other CCers) then again on 26 May. We're still undecided whether to try to visit both sites or to choose one then a short visit to Naples. We haven't been to Naples or this area of Italy before.

Thanks so much and really appeciate all your knowledge. :)

Monica

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...