Herculaneum

Sea42

The name of the port where ships dock in Naples is Mollo Beverello.

Oops, that is incorrect -- sorry about that. Molo Beverello (with one L) is the place where the ferries/hydrofoils leave from and it is right next to the cruise terminal which is Molo Angioino. :o

There's not a great online map that shows both, but here's a link to one that does shoe Molo Angioino.

http://www.planetware.com/i/map/I/naples-map.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cruisemom42

With the info provided in this thead, I have decided to do Herculaneum. If you Herculaneum notes are still available it would be to use them durring our thip end of Oct. Thank you loon1 at Comcast dot net

Hi, thanks to everyone who has been very informative on this thread. It is a very useful font for me to digest. I have been undecided which to visit with my sons who will be aged 9 & 7 when we go (next June).

I am about 90% certain I will be going with Herculanem as this seems to best for me with kids and the dodgy knees!!!

I would love to receive a copy of your notes please "Cruisemom42" if it would not be too much trouble. :)

rvbull @ hotmail.com (no spaces)

I am glad to hear that we will be able to gain free entry too. :):)

Thanks again to all.

Rhian

Edited by Disneymam
Forgot to place my email address.

The stop is called Ercolano Scavi.

It is closer to Naples than Pompeii; I did it coming from the other direction (Sorrento) but I'd say it's about 20 minutes.

Can't answer re: the taxi, but the train is pretty easy. Once you get off the train, you'll walk downhill down a major road with the train station at your back. This road basically dead-ends at the entrance to Herculaneum in about 4-5 blocks -- you can't miss it.

There's no museum onsite.

Yes, you should have enough time to do both Herculaneum and the Archaeology Museum.

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.

This is all wonderful precise information. Thank you to all the contributors! CruiseMom42, if you are still giving out your notes and self tour on Herculaneum, we would be very appreciative. We will be there Oct. 2. Unfortunately, that is a Tuesday, so we won't have the opportunity to see the Museum. I was really looking forward to that. We toured Pompeii in 2004 - wonderful day! First time back since then. Email: brigsfam@aol dot com. Thank you! Nancy

Hi- We will overnight in Naples on Celebrity in November. My thought is to take a private tour of the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Positano and Ravello on day 1. Day 2 we would take the train to Herculean and back to the ship. Our ship leaves at 4pm. We've been to Pompei before. Any notes or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My email is sherrylondon@gmail.com

Your itinerary makes perfect sense, Sherry.

Perhaps don't waste too much time in Sorrento, but do stop a while in Amalfi.

With a 4pm departure on day2, Herculaneum by train will fit in nicely though with a tolerably early start you do instead have time to go a few stops further to Pompeii. More specacular, but more tiring & time-consuming.

JB :)

It is closer to Naples than Pompeii; I did it coming from the other direction (Sorrento) but I'd say it's about 20 minutes.

Can't answer re: the taxi, but the train is pretty easy. Once you get off the train, you'll walk downhill down a major road with the train station at your back. This road basically dead-ends at the entrance to Herculaneum in about 4-5 blocks -- you can't miss it.

Yes, you should have enough time to do both Herculaneum and the Archaeology Museum.

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.

We will be there mid october can you email terrytallent1 at comcast dot net please? Terry

We would also like to receive your notes for our trip in 2 weeks if possible.

rjpick(at)sympatico.ca

Thanks in advance.

Just emailed my notes to all the most recent requesters -- hope you all got them and have a great trip. :)

Cruisemom42, if you are still up for sharing your notes, I would love to have a copy. jsmorgan "at" shoreham "dot" net

Thanks to everyone for all of the great information.

• 3 weeks later...

Cruisemom42 we are visiting next month and would also appreciate your notes if you are not worn out from all the requests. We have been to Pompeii and have been struggling with whether to go back as we really enjoyed it but felt we didn't have nearly enough time. Bit concerned about the amount that is closed at Herculaneum but think we should give it a try. jennyellis at telus dot net

Thanks so much.

Cruisemom42,

I've just read the whole thread and would appreciate a copy of your notes. Please add us to the list.

lipp4@comcast.net

We've been to both Pompeii and Herculaneum and much preferred Herculaneum..better preserved and, we thought, a better glimpse of life in 79 AD. We were on a tour and just didn't have enough time there so we will go again in May '13.

Thanks

Barbara

Cruise mom, I know its late but would you be able to send me your notes for Herculaneum? We leave on Friday, but will not be in Naples until Oct. 31.

mgd3stars@comcast.net also we are interested in going to the top of Mt .Vesuvius, if you have any information about that, that would be great too. My main problem is I think I saw where the top is closed on Nov. 1st.

Well, and information would be great.

Thanks again

Gretchen