Connecting staterooms...are they noisy?

Hi there,

I've been looking about possibly upgrading my Allure cabin from oceanview to oceanview balcony if the price comes down a bit. There are probably about 200+ OV balcony cabins available. Of those, approximately 55% are in categories D2, D3, and D4, all of which are connecting staterooms. Since it's just my girlfriend and I, we don't need a connecting stateroom. Are there any problems with these cabins and can you hear your neighbor? How does the door work?

It's strange to me that these three categories are deemed to be "better", yet aren't selling as well. I don't see any pro to them and think D1 and D8 are better overall.

Thank you!

terpfan101

Hi - I've never been on Allure, so you'll get some better responses on that front.

I think "better" would relate to room size or location.

My wife and I had a connecting on Navigator. Its one door (not double doors like in a hotel), and security has a key to lock it. We asked for it to be locked (although our neighbors were nice) - and we never heard them unless we went to the balcony and said hello.

As far as how it works -- you turn the handle. if it's unlocked, it opens. :D

the walls on a ship are pretty thick and well insulated for a host of reasons.

We’ve had many connecting room and don’t recall any more noise than in a regular cabin. Some avoid these cabins at all costs. I would not hesitate to book one if it was in the location I wanted.

We had a connecting cabin on the Allure and did hear the kids next door ( once) but I’m not sure that the “door” was the issue – but in fact, just a few moments of yelling

I know you didn’t ask – but we had more noise from “balcony neighbors” that from the next room itself. Walls are great - but voices really carry outside.

M

We regularly get connecting cabins when cruising with the kids, and have one that will be waiting for us tomorrow afternoon (YIPPIE!!!!). We have never had a problem with noise once they close their door. It is louder in the bathroom listening to everyone flush LOL. We have also been in connecting when not traveling with a connector, if you will, and have no complaints. As said, they do a great job insulating for sound. On Serenade we were 1 cabin away from the centrum with a live band every night and could bareley hear anything once that main door closed.

Not been on Allure but have been on the Oasis. Quite honestly noise ( if any) often depends on the people next door. Some may be very loud/have the TV very loud and others are extremly quiet. We have had both types. DH now prefers not to roll the dice.

Personally I dont like connecting cabins, we have had a couple and we have experienced noise, but like other posters have said that is more likely to be the occupants rather than the door, but you never know, also, on some ships and some catagory grades if you have a connecting cabin you lose a small sofa for a single armchair, just another thing to think about.

We have had connecting cabins and have had more noise from the non-connecting room on the other side than the connecting room. I agree with others, If the people next to you are loud you will hear them whether you have a connecting cabin or not. We go for location.

We have had connecting doors in hotels these have two doors back to back and have herd people talking and tvs i would not take the chance of connecting doorways if you do stick gaf tape around the door or some type of masking tape this works have a g/day Aussie

We won't purposly book a connecting cabin ever again. The couple next door fought the whole cruise over everything and anything. We HAD to turn up the TV just to hear it over them, finally when they went to sleep, his snoring was like being in the same room!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think of the old cartoons with the roof going up and down. We turned the TV back on, a good thing it was near the wall of their side of the cabin, we heard them complaining of our TV, but nothing happened, between the fighting and his snoring, our TV stayed on.:cool:

But they are perfect cabins for parents and children/teens. Mom doesn't have to get dressed or go out in the hall to check on the kids and can hear them easier, and Mom and Dad have a bit more privacy. I believe that was what these cabins were designed for.

Any cabin can be noisy for any number of reasons. Experienced travelers are always prepared with earplugs. Novices depend on finding the "perfect" cabin for quiet, LOL. Best thing is to take it easy.....don't fret about it....just be prepared for whatever happens and you'll have a fantastic trip.

If you like second hand smoke....take a connecting cabin. We did this once, and had to stuff towels under our door, just to try to keep the odor out.

Yep, they are locked, but not air tight!:rolleyes:

Rick

Smoking is no longer allowed in cains. Having said that, we had connecting GS on the Explorer with our daughter and grandboys, and yes we could hear them!

Hi there,

I've been looking about possibly upgrading my Allure cabin from oceanview to oceanview balcony if the price comes down a bit. There are probably about 200+ OV balcony cabins available. Of those, approximately 55% are in categories D2, D3, and D4, all of which are connecting staterooms. Since it's just my girlfriend and I, we don't need a connecting stateroom. Are there any problems with these cabins and can you hear your neighbor? How does the door work?

It's strange to me that these three categories are deemed to be "better", yet aren't selling as well. I don't see any pro to them and think D1 and D8 are better overall.

Thank you!

terpfan101

Just off the Oasis today in our first connecting ov balcony.

No concerns, all was quiet.

Noise came from our sliding balcony door. :(

Snoring from the room beside put me off connecting cabins ever again.

Maybe I snore too and I would not want someone to giggle about me.

I was on the Oasis.

Maybe better soundproofing OR our neighbor didn't snore?:rolleyes:

Hi - I've never been on Allure, so you'll get some better responses on that front.

I think "better" would relate to room size or location.

My wife and I had a connecting on Navigator. Its one door (not double doors like in a hotel), and security has a key to lock it. We asked for it to be locked (although our neighbors were nice) - and we never heard them unless we went to the balcony and said hello.

As far as how it works -- you turn the handle. if it's unlocked, it opens. :D

the walls on a ship are pretty thick and well insulated for a host of reasons.

:eek: there is just a single door and not double doors in a connecting room?? Is there any way possible for either side to unlock the door? Or the security key is needed?

Suppose 1 room called security and asked them to open the door because they were family/friends of the connecting room (but in reality they weren't and were just lying to get into your room) would security open it or would they check with you first? Sorry... I'm being paranoid lol :p

We had a connecting room once. Every time the neighbours opened their balcony door a whistling wind sound could be heard from our connecting doors. I think they could also hear when we opened our balcony doors. It could be very loud and annoying at times. Other than that, we didn't hear any other sounds from their room.

:eek: there is just a single door and not double doors in a connecting room?? Is there any way possible for either side to unlock the door? Or the security key is needed?

Suppose 1 room called security and asked them to open the door because they were family/friends of the connecting room (but in reality they weren't and were just lying to get into your room) would security open it or would they check with you first? Sorry... I'm being paranoid lol :p

I am not so sure they would open the door if 1 side requested it. I would imagine that they would check their records to see if the parties were travelling together. Usually people who travel together have their reservations linked.

Ultimately they are responsible so I am sure that RCCL would then ask the 2nd party if it was ok with them if the reservations were not linked.

Had a connecting on the Navigator. I know it isn't the same ship or class, but I did hear my neighbours. I don't think they were overly loud, and were probably unaware that they could be heard. Of course, I was sailing alone, so other than the TV from time to time they would not likely have heard much noise from me, which might have clued them in. Plus they were a family of 3 so of course they would be talking to one another.

I think the problem is that as somebody said, the door is not airtight. If it isn't airtight then sound will pass through pretty easily too.

Thanks for all the opinions...it seems like a mixed bag so I'm not sure if I'd want to spring for the OV balcony guarantee if I'd have a 50% chance of getting a connecting cabin in D2-D4.

Anyone have thoughts as to why those categories are "higher" and all connecting?

Archived