First time booked on NCL EPIC

cmhatter

I've been on RCCL (freedom class/oasis class) and Carnival (Dream). I loved both RCCL and Carnival.... but.... I got a great deal for the EPIC in Dec 2012 and i'm very excited to go.

I've heard the EPIC is less visually appealing (interior and of course exterior) and you get 'nickle and dimed'.

If you were going to convince me to take the EPIC over another boat, what would your angle be?

The inside of the Epic is in no way visually unappealing. It is beautiful and not at all gaudy like a lot of other ships are (most notably Carnival). Also, i hasnt nickle and dimed on the ship at all. There was plenty of bar service on the pool decks, but not at all intrusive. The entertainment on the ship exceeeds that of any ship I have been on yet. We enjoyed her so much, we re-booked as soon as we got home! I was a HUGE rccl fan until I started sailing NCL. I still like Rccl, but the service on NCL, specifically the Epic, exceeds Royal.

The exterior of the Epic has a boxy, top-heavy look IMHO, but I think the public areas' interior design is fine. tastes vary, of course.

Epic is lots of fun with great entertainment. there are plenty of venues to explore. I don't think there is more nickel and dime stuff than on Freedom or Oasis classes. yes, there are specialty restaurants as well as free one, like Oasis and Freedom. Yes, spa, excursions, drinks, and shopping cost extra, like other ships. Yes, the Cirque dinner show has a fee, but otherwise it would be way, way overcrowded every night. Select the Epic if you want a different ship, different line, different entertainment.

I will never understand the nickel and dimed comment (I've heard it before!). Everything I had to pay extra for on the Epic, I had to pay extra for on RC. Drinks, spa, bingo, pictures, shore excursions - all extra on both ships. There are a LOT of dining choices on Epic and a lot of them cost extra - but the ones included in your fare are very good.

The tipping amounts are the same, although the structure is different. It's $12/day per person billed to your account on Epic. But then you're done. No cash tipping is necessary (although it's appreciated for butler/concierge if you're in a suite and the kids club if you use that. Gratuity is added to all drinks and spa services, so no need to tip extra unless you want. No need to tip in specialty restaurants because they're included in that $12/day unless you want (and I found the service in those specialty restaurants excellent). It's still done in cash on RC but their guidelines amount to $11.65 per day.

I loved the Epic - there was a lot to do, restaurants were good (both free and specialty). I could care less about being visually appealing on the exterior - the rooms were furnished nicely, the artwork around the ship was nice, the atrium with the chandelier was beautiful. I thought the ship was very pretty on the inside.

I've heard the cirque dinner wasn't a good meal, but the actual show was fun. That I didn't do.

I think you'll enjoy Epic.

We really enjoyed the Cirque dinner show. The show was alot of fun. I suggest sitting upstairs. Some of the performers come up to eye level on ropes and you can see just about everything down on the floor. The dinner was good also.

If you really want a good dinner, try Moderno (Brizilian BBQ) The salad bar is the best with so many things beside salad.

Enjoy!!

Jeanne

Loved the EPIC and the inside is beautiful. Entertainment absolutley great. NEVER nickeled and dimed.

As for Cirque dreams and dinner, I was so into the show, I couldn't tell you what was for dinner. However I do remember the food being ok to pretty good.:)

While I was on the EPIC I kept thinking my kids and grandchildren would love the ship.

Go with a positive attitude and enjoy your trip. In the end it will be what you make it.

i've heard seen some fairly negative things about the circus dinner...

is the specialty fee better spent elsewhere?

When I did it recently the menu was fixed. The dinner was ok, on par with what you get in the main dinning room.

The show was excellent. Given how close you are to the performers and how complex the show is I think you are getting your money's worth.

The ship is beautiful inside. You're clearly getting incorrect information. You would be a lot better off reading more on here from recent trips and forming an opinion more in line with the experience of those that have sailed her.

There are some links in my signature to get you going. It's a wonderful ship.

id say just watch my vid
Lovely interior.. So much more relaxing and freedom than RCL

Great video! Brings back some great memories.

OP, Epic is a great ship. She is stunning inside and the entertainment onboard is probably the best on the seas (imho). As for nickel and diming, perhaps it is the amount of pay restaurants that has folks saying those words but in all honesty, nowadays all ships have a pay restaurant on them. Either chose to use it (them, in the case of the Epic) or not. Your choice completely.

My actual bill at the end of my 7 days onboard the Epic was my cheapest ever ... and I wasn't even trying to keep it low;):)

Go and have some great fun. I doubt you will regret it.

Archived