On board now 4/19-4/27 NOLA->Memphis

corycruiser

floatn,

mikedw was talking about NCL America and the US flagged Hawaiian ships (now it´s only the Pride of America left) which has to have an US crew (not 100% but close). Due to the Passenger Vessel Services Act the ship has to be US flagged to be able to cruise around Hawaii.

steamboats

Steamboats, I believe you are incorrect as NCL has told me that they received a "papal dispensation" so they could mix the crew with Americans and others just as non US flagged ships do. POA now has a diverse crew, may of whom came as veterans of the cruise line industry to help with the service issues.

Judy,

We took all the "Hop-On/Hop-Off" (included) tours and none of the "Premium Tours". I must say, that we did appreciate the inclusion of these Hop-On/Hop-Off tours as it gave us an overview of the area, and time to walk around an area that interested us, and bypass areas that didn't.

At each port, they had 3 or 4 (?) buses, that ran a route around the the area with various stops along the route, at stores, museums, and points of interest. Some of the museums/points of interest admissions were included (Oak Alley Plantation Tour, West Feliciana Historical Society Museum, Rosalie, Longwood & Stanton Hall tours, Vicksburg Battlefield Visitors Center, Pillow Thompson House, Memphis Rock & Soul Museum, and many churches). Other stops required an additional admission charge (National Civil Rights Museum, Vicksburg Battlefield, etc).

All of the buses had "tour guides", although most had nothing or next to nothing to say, while a few were very informative, and not only told us about the stops, but about the town/area. The tour guides where obviously hired at each stop, and not a part of the American Queen crew.

Again, we very much appreciated this service, but it is an area that they could really improve at no additional cost (they already have the buses and the tour guides - if nothing else, give them a script of "interesting" things to say about their area).

The tour guides as you called them are actually employees of the local Convention and Visitor's Bureaus or Visitor Centers. Thus local folks brought on to give that running commentary as the busses make the loop. Not employees of GASC.

POA now has a diverse crew, may of whom came as veterans of the cruise line industry to help with the service issues.

Yes, BUT ...

In order to be as crew member on the POA, you are required to have a Merchant Mariner Certificate (MMC) issued by the US government (not unlike a passport).

To qualify for a MMC, you must be a citizen of the US, or have a permanent resident in the US card (Green Card) and a couple other exceptions.

But by and large, you have to be a US citizen

• 3 weeks later...
Steamboats, I believe you are incorrect as NCL has told me that they received a "papal dispensation" so they could mix the crew with Americans and others just as non US flagged ships do. POA now has a diverse crew, may of whom came as veterans of the cruise line industry to help with the service issues.

The "diverse crew" that you mention has quite a few Guamanians who are American citizens of course. They help round out the crew and have improved the NCLA product. Not that I'm suggesting this to GASC by any stretch. ;)

Archived