On board now 4/19-4/27 NOLA->Memphis

corycruiser

Only category I has bunk beds. The others do have single beds and some cabins have an additional bunk bed for triple occupancy (stayed in one of those once with our kid).

As usualy cabin photos are sample pictures only and don´t show each category. But that´s the same with big cruise ships. And you would be surprised what a good wide lense can make out of a cabin :D. I always said that the cabins are small and I mean small (tiny, cramped)!! Not comparable to a big cruise ship. Take the brochure photos as what they are: brochure photos!!

steamboats

Good Morning....

With respect to cabin sizes, we have been cruising for better than 45 years and have been in cabins from the size of a telephone booth and up..

Specifically, we chose a B cabin for our Aug 10 cruise. We are familiar with the "photos" of cabins, but since our cabin is listed as having 205 sq.ft., is this possibly not accurate, or have I mis-interpreted what you are describing?

In terms of larger cruise ship cabins, we will be on Holland America in June and our cabin is listed as 197 sq. ft., and since we have been on this same ship years ago, we know the size and layout.

Thanks

Responder,

Where did you get the size?

I´m used to 11 sqm/ 118 sqft for river cruise ships (and even cruise ships - the Majesty of the Seas we had 120.5 sqft which includes the bathroom). I´ve never measured any of the cabins. On the AQ we had 535 which was then rated a B category (triple occupancy). Seems to be an AA now. That one was really spacy. We´ve been upgraded from a triple inside which was way smaller. I don´t remember which cabin we had in 2008 and I can´t find my card anymore.

The difference to a cruise ship cabin wise is that a cruise ship has built in wardrobes, drawers and usually a lot of storage room. On a steamboat you have furniture.

corycruiser did describe his A cabin. Some of the B´s are looking a little larger on the deckplan (405 - 427, odd numbers only).

steamboats

PS: Found it on a calliope capers certificate... We´ve been in 423 in 2008 which is now a B cabin. As it had a triple occupancy it is larger than the others.

Steamboats was correct. There are many very nicely appointed areas of the boat for reading/relaxing/conversation. I do however suggest you bring your own reading materials. The only books on board were about the river, steamboating, Mark Twain, etc. No "current" titles, or paperbacks. There were a couple fairly recent magazines, that looked like they were left from either other passengers or crew members. Also, they have current local newspapers, in the Mark Twain Gallery.

The "riverlorians" on our cruise were Travis Vasconcelos and Mary Charlton, with a "guest lecture" by Toots Maloy. There was a "talk" almost each day about the river and steamboating/steamboats. The riverlorians were also available a couple hours each day (an hour in the morning and again an hour in the afternoon) to meet with and ask questions, borrow binoculars (which was a nice "extra"), etc.

Lewis Hankins, the "Mark Twain" impersonator was our Showtime (main) entertainment on the first night of the cruise. Obviously a personal preference issue, but we found him extremely boring, and watched several people who must have felt the same way, as they left during the middle of his performance (we were in the balcony, so could see not only people leaving, but also a man who fell asleep). We stayed, thinking/hoping it would get better, unfortunately, it didn't.

I've posted pictures of many of the menus as well as a few pictures of the food we were served here http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r552/corycruiser/

(you can click on a picture to get a better look)

J. M. White Dining Room

Breakfast (buffet and a la carte menu options) 6:30am-9:00am. The breakfast buffet included two types of scrambled eggs, one with "goodies" (cheese, onions, red peppers and or onions, spinach) and one plain. Bacon, patty sausage, potatoes, freshly made waffles, fresh fruit, yohgurts, oatmeal or grits.

Lunch (buffet and a la carte menu options) 11:30am-1:30pm, Breads and cold cuts/cheese, soup, a "carving station" (brisket, ham, or corned beef), green beans, potatoes, salads (potato, coleslaw and sometimes a fruit salad) and soup. At both breakfast and lunch you had to ask for a menu, they did not post it or automatically offer it to you, further on the few times we saw these menus, at breakfast they were the same each day and at lunch, they were the same thing as on the buffet.

Dinner First Seating 5:15 & Second Seating 8:00pm, There was always a meat, poultry, fish and vegetarian entree.

Front Porch of America

Breakfast 6am-10am offers cold cereals, fruit and muffins/sweet rolls.

Lunch 11:30am-1:30pm finger sandwiches, hot dogs, bagged chips, popcorn. They advertise that this is where “light snacks and sweets will be available all day”. These are hot dogs, popcorn, soft serve ice cream and cookies as well as coffee, tea, juice and soft drinks.

River Grill

Lunch 11am-3pm (weather permitting). They serve hamburgers or hoagies/po'boys (alternate days), chips and salads (coleslaw or potato).

Dinner 5:30pm-9pm *Reservations are required. They offered airline chicken breast, or beef tenderloin and one additional option each evening, along with baked potato, a vegetable and green salad. None of these items are cooked fresh to order, but made in advance in the kitchens and then re-heated at the bar.

Tea Time - A small selection of nibbles and sweets, along with tea (bags & water) or coffee are offered between 4pm-4:30pm. Anyone expecting formal tea service are in for a disappointment.

Engine Room Bar - Late night hors d’oeurvres served from 10:30pm-11:30pm.

Contrary to their advertisement, there is not any “room service”, so if you wish to “relax in bed with a cheerful breakfast tray” (as advertised), you will have to go to either the Front Porch or the Dining Room and carry the food back to your room (althought I saw no trays that you could use to do this). Nor are there "Pre-dinner canapes and hors d'oeuvres" as listed in their brochure.

The food was just okay ... nothing special. They did some odd things, like serving prime rib but not offering horseradish, serving corned beef and offered sauerkraut, but not mustard, served lobster but did not offer drawn butter or lemon. They also one night served a shrimp appetizer, but the shrimp had not been cleaned or deveined! (see picture) That was totally unacceptable. On the other hand, there were two nights (out of the 8 that we were on board) that I would rate the food as "very good". The night that they had the beef tenderloin, it was served exactly as ordered (medium rare), and the last night when we had the "Inaugural Gala Buffet", which included lobster, shrimp (this time cleaned and deveined), scallops, beef tenderloin, etc. At all meals, they way overcooked the vegetables, turning them to slimy mush.

Their Jazz Brunch, was horrible (it was NOT the menu that is in the brochure), up to and including the skinned baby pig (with it's side carved out) that was on the buffet - causing anyone with an appetite to lose it!

The "complimentary" red wine that they served at dinner was acceptable. I did not try the white wine.

The dining room service needs much improvement. We ate at the same table or at least in the same section (same wait staff) for almost every meal (B-L-D). They never did learn to bring us coffee at breakfast (had to ask every day), or offer fresh cracked pepper for our salads/soup. Although I had red wine each evening, they couldn't seem to remember whether I drank red or white, and several times poured a different label of wine into my glass while I still had wine in it.

The drinks generally ranged from $6-$9. A bloody mary was $8, but offered everyday at happy hour for half price. They use Zing Zang bloody mary mix, which I was not familiar with, but is very good! Jack Daniels was $6 and Baileys Irish Cream was $9.

A final note: It is very loud in the dining room, making it difficult to carry on a conversation.

Responder,

Where did you get the size?

I´m used to 11 sqm/ 118 sqft for river cruise ships (and even cruise ships - the Majesty of the Seas we had 120.5 sqft which includes the bathroom). I´ve never measured any of the cabins. On the AQ we had 535 which was then rated a B category (triple occupancy). Seems to be an AA now. That one was really spacy. We´ve been upgraded from a triple inside which was way smaller. I don´t remember which cabin we had in 2008 and I can´t find my card anymore.

having my TA call them

The difference to a cruise ship cabin wise is that a cruise ship has built in wardrobes, drawers and usually a lot of storage room. On a steamboat you have furniture.

corycruiser did describe his A cabin. Some of the B´s are looking a little larger on the deckplan (405 - 427, odd numbers only).

steamboats

PS: Found it on a calliope capers certificate... We´ve been in 423 in 2008 which is now a B cabin. As it had a triple occupancy it is larger than the others.

I called the line as well as having my TA call them. Having a 205 sq ft cabin was one of the conditions of booking-B category..cabin 417 specifically. Now you have me concerned. The line confirmed the size. I hope they us the same measuring system as I do.

If you have information to the contrary, please let me know as the final payment is coming due for us...

Thanks....

My partner and I are big "foodies." (Our last two cruises were in Queens Grill of the QUEEN MARY 2 and QUEEN ELIZABETH where you can order off menu if you so choose, and we did!)The quality of food and service offered on a cruise are paramount. And to be honest, right now, I'm not overly impressed by what I see. I just hope that GASC has their teething problems worked out by our trip in June.

That reality is not coming anywhere close to the advertising hype is what my initial impression is. That's not the crew's fault either. If that's the case, management has to be held responsible. For instance, the daily afternoon tea with a selection of bag teas, hot water and a savorie of little pieces of bread with a small bit of meat do not an afternoon tea make. I am forced to ask the original poster Corycruiser if indeed, as the latest GASC brochure states, "freshly baked treats such as vanilla-bean scones is a daily opportunity..." I won't ask if clotted cream and jam were available. Even worse is that there doesn't appear to be a sit down lunch with varying menus throughout the voyage. I can't even begin to fathom that being the case on a cruise which starts at $2,000.00 per person a week double occupancy. I well remember the delicious corned beef and cabbage and braised beef short ribs that were staples for lunch on the AMRICAN QUEEN when she came out in 1995.

Granted, right now, all my information is coming from this one source. Nevertheless, my impressions, and I'm sure others too, are not what GASC would like them to be right now. I know full well the difficulties of bringing a new ship up to speed. There will be problems. When the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN made her Maiden Voyage in 1976, she could not even make it back to her home port of Cincinnati, and the boat was returned to the shipyard for necessary changes. In 1978, with Captain Gabe Chengary as Master, my first trip on her was fantastic. Unfortunately, in today's competative cruise environment GASC does't have two years. Nowadays it only takes a few years to go bankrupt; MAL did it in two!

As I earlier stated I have fully paid reservations for June. I also have reservations for a trip on the Upper Mississippi this fall. If my June trip does not live up to my high expectations, I will have no qualms about canceling the trip this fall. I pray that I don't have to.

corycruiser,

Thanks for the photos and the update on your cruise!!

Calliope,

But back then when the MQ came out they had experiences in operating a boat (food, service...) and a experienced crew from the DQ. This time they have to start all over again.

But anyway that´s no excuse for lacking service and not keeping the promises which are made in the brochure.

steamboats

Calliope,

But back then when the MQ came out they had experiences in operating a boat (food, service...) and a experienced crew from the DQ. This time they have to start all over again.

But anyway that´s no excuse for lacking service and not keeping the promises which are made in the brochure.

steamboats

Are you saying that Krida doesn't have any experience operating a boat, and what about Rubacky and the other brass? Christopher Kyte is the only one that does not come from a cruise line or ship management company. Management should know better and plan accordingly. The Yiddish proverb is that a rotting fish stinks from its mouth.

Responder,

As you´ve booked 417 you are in one of the larger cabins which used to be availble for triple occupancy (it was a fold our armchair as third bed).

steamboats

From what I can see on the pictorials, a number of cabins, ours included, are available to become connecting rooms with those situated directly behind them. For us...205sq ft will be adequate.

Thanks

I have been reading various sites & newspaper reviews there is one from Houston paper where the person is currently onboard

Apparently they hired staff due to congeniality & not experience .....WHAT :eek:

They have now brought onbaord Apollo Catering & new chefs to train up the staff

I would think that would have been done before paying passengers were let onboard

As for Tim Rubacky he comes from Oceania (probably why Apollo was brought in) where they know good quality food & service

I am sure if you do a google for reviews on GASC you will some on other cruise forums as well

There are several reporters, TA's & other cruise forum people on the ship now reporting as they go

I guess we will be waiting a bit longer before committing to a cruise with them

The reports so far are not encouraging :(

Lyn

Thank you Mr Rubacky for the update glad to hear things are getting better

Looking forward to sailing with GASC in the future

Lyn

PS as long as Rory & the wonder dog are NOT onboard :D:D

Hi Lyn,

"Mr Rubacky" is my father, I am just Tim. :D

I can assure you that Rory and Murphy the Wonder Dog is not onboard.

Tim

LOL

Good news :D

Thanks TIM ...looking forward to meeting someday maybe aboard the AQ

Wishing GASC every success

Lyn

But the "Steamboat Syncopators" are. I have to say, the entertainment is truly fabulous - what I would have expected on a mega-ship.

Tim

Isn't that interesting. I always compare the entertainment and entertainers on the blue water ships to what was offered on the Delta Queen boats before Hurricane Katrina. Very seldom is there any comparison. The blue water ships can't hold a candle to what was offered on the steamboats. Entertainers such as Vic Tooker, "Mom" Tooker, Anne LaBeau, Steve Spracklen, Fred Dodd, Reggie Evans, Steve Pistorious, Pamela Dudley, Bobby Schadd, Lewis Hankins, Sandra Sidwell, Sherry Conner, Bodine Jackson Balasco et.al. were heads above anyone I've ever encountered at sea.

Tim, thanks for the updates! And I agree on the entertainment (knowing a lot of the artists for many years). I´ve "listened" to bands on cruise ships where I hardly was able to recognize the song (neither by the tunes nor by the lyrics). I "started" out with steamboating and tried out cruise ships much later (and even then I had to combine my first ocean cruise with a steamboat leaving out of New Orleans). And as I said previously regarding the size of the steamboats and the limited space of the stage and limitations to techniques (like lights, decoration...) it´s really amazing what the entertainers are getting together onboard the AQ (and her former sisters).

Calliope, thanks for bringing back some great names!! And some of them you´ll still find aboard. BTW Bodine posted on FB that he is aboard as Riverboat Gambler (I think it was for the Race cruise but I don´t remember exactly).

steamboats

PS: Check out his blog by Cruisecritic!

Wow! I don't know what to say. I would not be very happy to spend all that money and have so many things not right. I would not care that things are not just right because it was their first couple of cruises. I don't buy that. Yes, nothing is perfect, but... I would think that this CO want to get it right before it is too late. They don't want to go belly up, and that can happen very fast . Looks like the staff needed more dry runs to make it "gel" before trying it out on PAX.

Now...

Happy to see that things look to be getting better.

I was looking into taking a river cruise this summer. But I will wait until the feedback is much better. Don't want to dump my money into the river.

The product (once up and running the way it shold be) will be great, if they get it afloat.

I was looking forward to taking my first river cruise after 75 plus ocean cruises. Will wait.

Corycruiser,

I am trying to decide what to pack for my husband for evening. I can't decide if I should throw a sportcoat in. I don't think he wore in on a Rhine cruise and it takes up space. How were most of the men dressed in the evening?

Did they offer you a discount on another cruise as another passenger claimed?

Yes, they offered a "...50% future cruise discount, in any cabin category, on any sailing, confirmed within 60 days of sailing in 2012."

Corycruiser,

I am trying to decide what to pack for my husband for evening. I can't decide if I should throw a sportcoat in. I don't think he wore in on a Rhine cruise and it takes up space. How were most of the men dressed in the evening?

My husband took a sport coat and wore it several times, but that was because it was chilly on several evenings. I would guess that less than 50% of the men wore sport coats on our voyage. They print the following dress code each day in the River Times: "In all evening dining venues, we request that guests adhere to the appropriate country club-casual dress code. Shorts, jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear, and sandals are not permitted in the J. M. White Dining Room. The River Grill and Front Porch of America exude a resort-casual ambiance, dressy shorts and casual shirts may be worn in the evenings. Tank tops and swimsuits are not appropriate attire for any of our onboard restaurants at any time."

Also, you might want to check out my review here. Hope you have a great cruise!

My partner and I are big "foodies." (Our last two cruises were in Queens Grill of the QUEEN MARY 2 and QUEEN ELIZABETH where you can order off menu if you so choose, and we did!)The quality of food and service offered on a cruise are paramount. And to be honest, right now, I'm not overly impressed by what I see. I just hope that GASC has their teething problems worked out by our trip in June.

That reality is not coming anywhere close to the advertising hype is what my initial impression is. That's not the crew's fault either. If that's the case, management has to be held responsible. For instance, the daily afternoon tea with a selection of bag teas, hot water and a savorie of little pieces of bread with a small bit of meat do not an afternoon tea make. I am forced to ask the original poster Corycruiser if indeed, as the latest GASC brochure states, "freshly baked treats such as vanilla-bean scones is a daily opportunity..." I won't ask if clotted cream and jam were available. Even worse is that there doesn't appear to be a sit down lunch with varying menus throughout the voyage. I can't even begin to fathom that being the case on a cruise which starts at $2,000.00 per person a week double occupancy. I well remember the delicious corned beef and cabbage and braised beef short ribs that were staples for lunch on the AMRICAN QUEEN when she came out in 1995.

Granted, right now, all my information is coming from this one source. Nevertheless, my impressions, and I'm sure others too, are not what GASC would like them to be right now. I know full well the difficulties of bringing a new ship up to speed. There will be problems. When the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN made her Maiden Voyage in 1976, she could not even make it back to her home port of Cincinnati, and the boat was returned to the shipyard for necessary changes. In 1978, with Captain Gabe Chengary as Master, my first trip on her was fantastic. Unfortunately, in today's competative cruise environment GASC does't have two years. Nowadays it only takes a few years to go bankrupt; MAL did it in two!

As I earlier stated I have fully paid reservations for June. I also have reservations for a trip on the Upper Mississippi this fall. If my June trip does not live up to my high expectations, I will have no qualms about canceling the trip this fall. I pray that I don't have to.

We only went to 2 or 3 of the afternoon tea's, but no, I did not see any scones (freshly baked or otherwise). I did observe a gal from Apollo (her name was Giselle, I believe - and yes, contrary to what the company has been saying, Apollo was on board our cruise, not hired afterwards), tell one of the waiters that was bringing out a platter of breakfast sweet rolls, to take them back to the kitchen and cut them in quarters before presenting them. (I too am a bit of a "foodie", which is why I was so critical of the quality, preparation and presentation of the food offerings).

Thank you both for replying. I love Cruise Critic. I used it on our Rhine cruise and it was very helpful then. Thank you everyone for the helpful information you post. We are on the June 4th cruise and I am impressed with the American Steamboat Company monitoring this site. It shows me that they care and want to find out from first cruisers how things are going and improve them. :)

Thank you both for replying. I love Cruise Critic. I used it on our Rhine cruise and it was very helpful then. Thank you everyone for the helpful information you post. We are on the June 4th cruise and I am impressed with the American Steamboat Company monitoring this site. It shows me that they care and want to find out from first cruisers how things are going and improve them. :)

Dittto

Archived