Horse Race

Does RCCL still have the Horse Race? We bough a horse in prior years and won the race both times. We have been on other lines recently and it seems as though RCCL is the only line that has this event. More importantly, we are heading out on the Allure this summer and were wondering if they will have it!

Thanks

Does RCCL still have the Horse Race? We bough a horse in prior years and won the race both times. We have been on other lines recently and it seems as though RCCL is the only line that has this event. More importantly, we are heading out on the Allure this summer and were wondering if they will have it!

Thanks

Sorry no , for quite a few years now they had eliminated that activity

Could someone please explain the horse racing at sea? It sounds like fun, and maybe we could get them to bring it back.
They are stick horses that are ran for the first time ummmm naked, after the first race people have an option to buy one of the horses. During the week you see the horses getting dressed up and even going to dinner. At the next race they come out all decked out and ready to race with team support. Audience member have an opportunity to bet on the horses during both races. Buying a horse got you a chance at the final pot of the next race. Trying to rememberer but seems they move by numbers coming out of the bingo ball roller? They move say 10 spaces and the horse that finishes first wins. Betting was done just like if you were at a normal race track.

Unfortunately I have not seen races in many many years or I would have been there! Loved it!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Could someone please explain the horse racing at sea? It sounds like fun, and maybe we could get them to bring it back.

Like others have mentioned, the horses were pretty much cut-outs of horses on long poles with a round or square flat base for standing. I used to be an assistant cruise director on the Classica, and the way they ran the race was that we had a cage with 3 dice in it. We started out with taking bets on the 6 horses at the race beginning. We would then flip the cage and then call the numbers revealed. For instance, if it were a 6 and 2 4's, the Horse number 6 would go forward one place and horse #4 would go ahead 2 paces. Then we would keep rolling and calling until a horse passed the finish line. At that point, all who had bet on the winning horse got a piece of the action.

Since so many new cruisers haven't seen this, maybe they could being the horse racing back & drop the belly flop contest for awhile. Seems like people are getting tired of the same thing every cruise. At least for the newer cruisers it would be something different!

The last time I saw it was on the Explorer. Ken Rush was the CD. It was a great activity and lots of fun. Everyone on the pool deck was involved and there was alot of hollering and cheering. Too bad they stopped it.

Maybe RC will see this and put it back!

!

I believe they did this last year on the Explorer, but I could be mixing up cruises.

We were on Explorer March and December and no horse racing.

I don't recall seeing it anywhere on the Oasis or on the Serenade.

The most fun we had was decorating our horse and naming it. We took that dam!! horse all over the ship with us - even to dinner - it was such fun and we won for best decorated! Have pics of getting this thing into the elevator:eek:

Any pictures?!? :)

We had the races on our Australia / NZ cruise. Maybe because it was a longer cruise - our b2b was 34 days. The neat thing was that 25% of the bets went to the Make a Wish Foundation.

These are from the sweepstakes races after people had "bought" their horses - which is why they're decorated. Not great shots but you get the idea. Normally they would have done the races out by the pool but the weather wasn't very nice that day so they did it in the Centrum.

DSC05181-1.jpg

DSC05183.jpg

We had a great time decorating our horse when we sailed on Mariner a few years back. We named it "my Buc-n-horse" and put Bucs stuff all over it and had a cut out of Derrick Brooks as the jockey.:D we won the race and got $700!

I wish they would bring back the horse races!

Ours was so long ago the horses actually looked like mini carousel (sp?) horses - not just cut out flat cardboard. We had so much fun decorating that horse. His name was Bar Bill so you can imagine what was on that horse! We laughed so much just trying to get it into the elevator - took 2 guys to do it. What fun!

Now that I think about it, it must have been Princess where we did the horse race, as there was no decorating.

But, I do remember having a car race in the Royal Promenade using the same principles on Royal (unless there is another cruise line with Royal Promenades)

There were 3 cars I believe and there were toddlers in the cars and they raced down the promenade.

Archived