now if you have had an inside you will know how dark it is

even with the small back up light on if theres is a power cut its still

not bright inside,

so folks do you think there should be a torch it would need to be

designed to recharge from the ships main power so that if folk stole it ,

it would be no use to them,

what do folks think.

I have been on a ship when they turned the power of to run drills,

it is so dark inside a ship even on the upper decks with windows.

yours Shogun

Wouldn't emergency lighting come on? Perhaps not, I'm not certain. It makes sense to me to have one supplied with the room. We always carry a flashlight of our own but I'm sure not everyone does.

I do know that if AC is lost, I wouldn't want to linger in an inside cabin. We lost it for a short time one morning in port, and within five minutes it became insufferable.

In view of recent events we always pack a flashlight. It is always placed in my nightstand drawer. Hope we never have to use it but it's there. The door works on a battery and I believe the emergency lighting would guide us back to our room and the flashlight would be handy to get into the safe and for finding whatever we wanted for an evacuation..

Hi All

Given the issues with a number of ships having power problems,

I was asked the question is there a torch in an inside cabin,

now if you have had an inside you will know how dark it is

even with the small back up light on if theres is a power cut its still

not bright inside,

so folks do you think there should be a torch it would need to be

designed to recharge from the ships main power so that if folk stole it ,

it would be no use to them,

what do folks think.

I have been on a ship when they turned the power of to run drills,

it is so dark inside a ship even on the upper decks with windows.

yours Shogun

As an old road warrior, I learned years ago to travel with a small pen light wherever I went for just this sort of issue. Sometimes it was literally just a pen with a light in it, the sort used to advertise a company where you twisted the barrel and a light would illuminate inside the transparent barrel. Actually made a nice little lamp-like light source. Today, tiny LED torches that go on your key ring are cheap and work well. That's how I do it.

Your idea of a torch in each cabin re-charged via ship's power merits consideration. Good idea!

Wouldn't emergency lighting come on? Perhaps not, I'm not certain. It makes sense to me to have one supplied with the room. We always carry a flashlight of our own but I'm sure not everyone does.

I do know that if AC is lost, I wouldn't want to linger in an inside cabin. We lost it for a short time one morning in port, and within five minutes it became insufferable.

In 2000 we were in our first and last inside cabin on the Sea Princess (which was our 2nd Princess cruise). The power went out for over an hour on the last sea day while I was in the middle of packing. There were no back-up lights and it was totally black. I opened the door but it was still too dark to do much and it got hot really fast.

After that we won't stay in an inside cabin. Found it too claustrophobic even when there was power and we also never travel without a little pen light. Keep them on our key chains and also one attached to the travel clock.

An oceanview room without a balcony would have the same AC problem.

If they put a flashlight (torch) in each cabin, they would be replacing many of them on a regular basis. Of course a sign next to them (wall mounted unit) stating the if missing after you leave, you will be billed $200 for it might solve the problem. It would have to be engraved with "Property of Princess cruises" and perhaps even cabin number.

What if the wall hanger would only unlock to release the flashlight in the event of a power failure?

Hi There

It would simple to enforce you steal a safety device you get fined and banned from crusing,

and if it only charges from the ship mounting then it will be no use to you when you left,

yours Shogun

I've always said that I would never do an inside but the prices are so good - no wonder there are so many elite. Makes it a very inexpensive vacation

BUT

I think I would go nuts if the power went out.

We always take several flashlights with us and also the battery candles. I could live thru a black out for a day or two with a balcony but no way could even imagine what it would be like in an inside.

A flashlight (torch) of the type suggested might be inexpensive, but adding the wiring to every cabin would not be.

The outlet for this would need to be installed where it is easy to get to in order to retrieve the flashlight, but not where the flashlight would stick out to be bumped into by someone walking by it.

Yep, too expensive and invasive - I can't see it ever happening. The onus is on each passenger to take a small flashlight which can be purchased at any store for probably less than 15 dollars. I know we always travel with one now, on airplanes, in hotel rooms, and cruise ships.

We always get a window cabin - and believe me, it IS dark there at night! If something happens in the middle of the ocean you won't see anything inside of any type of a cabin.

I also read a report where a couple was having dinner when the lights suddenly went down on the whole ship. They stumbled to their cabins in the dark.

So bring a flashlight. Not just to feel better, but to walk to the restroom without waking up your better half.

Probably the best solution would be a hard-wired emergency light in each cabin (we have several scatted about at work). It's battery operated and looks like a regular light fixture, but doesn't turn on until it senses that electricity is no longer flowing.

Probably not cheap, but then neither are many safety re-fits.

I think the best solution is simply allow passengers to be responsible for themselves. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that a room with no window(with or without power) will be dark if there are no lights on. Sorry if I sound bitter-don't mean to- but I get tired of others having to think of ways to make things "easier" for grown adults who are to lazy or stupid to handle them on their own. 1+1=2 therefore no window+no lights=dark.....I'm just saying pack a flashlight:)

I think the best solution is simply allow passengers to be responsible for themselves. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that a room with no window(with or without power) will be dark if there are no lights on. Sorry if I sound bitter-don't mean to- but I get tired of others having to think of ways to make things "easier" for grown adults who are to lazy or stupid to handle them on their own. 1+1=2 therefore no window+no lights=dark.....I'm just saying pack a flashlight:)

I agree. And it shouldn't involve buying anything new. Everyone should be carrying a little LED mini flashlight on their keychain already. They cost about $2, weigh nothing, and can be invaluable in an emergency -- on a ship or not. Here's what I carry: 12 for $17. Give one to all your family members, keep one at the office or the car or the garage or wherever.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-LED-Flashlight-Key-Chain/dp/B003XRX45K/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1335296880&sr=8-15

I know that the OP is from Scotland, and I haven't shopped in Scotland, but they likely sell the very short flashlights (torches) that have about three LEDs for lights. I have not taken one in the past, but in light of the number of power failures of late, I am planning to take one in the future.

I also generally take some of the cyalume lightsticks with us. I take a night light for the bathroom, but not all ships have available sockets in the bathroom. If you get the little package with the thin sticks that fasten together to make a necklace, you can use them one at a time and they are good night/emergency lights. Once your eyes are adjusted to the dark (and that can take some time -- 30 minutes to their maximum), you would be surprised how much light one of those little things give off.

While an inside cabin will be dark during the daytime if there is no power, a balcony room on a dark night at sea will be just about as dark.

I agree. And it shouldn't involve buying anything new. Everyone should be carrying a little LED mini flashlight on their keychain already. They cost about $2, weigh nothing, and can be invaluable in an emergency -- on a ship or not. Here's what I carry: 12 for $17. Give one to all your family members, keep one at the office or the car or the garage or wherever.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-LED-Flashlight-Key-Chain/dp/B003XRX45K/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1335296880&sr=8-15

While we're at it, let the cruise lines throw out all those bulky life jackets that take up all the room on the top shelves of the closets... if passengers want one, just in case, they can pack water wings or inner tubes. 1+1=2 also says that you're on a ship, it could sink, better bring some sort of life vest rather than expect the ships to have one, for each of us.

Sometimes, the lack of thought and care for others astounds me. JMHO

While we're at it, let the cruise lines throw out all those bulky life jackets that take up all the room on the top shelves of the closets... if passengers want one, just in case, they can pack water wings or inner tubes. 1+1=2 also says that you're on a ship, it could sink, better bring some sort of life vest rather than expect the ships to have one, for each of us.

I think what is really being said is, with the rarity of power failures and the emergency lighting being right outside the door, no one should expect a cruise line to spend millions or tens of millions retrofitting their ships. If it is a concern for a small number of passengers, they might want to accept responsibility for bringing their own lights. Life vests are required by world wide shipping laws. Big difference.

Some feel personal responsibility is being lost and "someone" should take care of everything.:D

Really....that is your logical retort!?! Comparing life vests to a flashlight? A dark cabin to a sinking ship? And you say we lack thought....wow... now that really is astounding!!

As someone who lives in earthquake country (and some of our major ones have been while it's dark outside, and we'll often lose power if it's a big enough shaking), I like to have a flashlight nearby while sleeping. You don't need an expensive one -- stores such as Walmart have them for under $5.

Archived