Churches and attire

beachseeker

What I am struggling with is the question of "tights" that the young teens wear. My 12 and 13 year old g-daughters are thinking they will wear tights on the day we go through the Vatican.

Are "tights" considered acceptable?

By "tights" - I mean ankle length covering but "tighter" than capri pants and worn under a dressy pair of shorts more like what I once called Bermuda shorts. BUT - the shorts would not be long enough to cover the knees. The "tights" would cover but -- are "tight".

Thoughts? Am I over thinking the issue?

In Rome it's very strict. Long pants or below the knee skirt for women, shirt with sleeves (no bare shoulders--even if it's sleeveless as opposed to a tank), no exposed midriffs, no cleavage. Especially at the Vatican the guards were not amused and not swayed. I saw a number of people turned away as we were walking towards the entrance.

In Croatia and Montenegro we visited a number of churches and a synagogue, I wore a long skirt. In Montenegro I had on a tank but brought a large scarf to knot around my shoulders before I entered. Many of the houses of worhip in these countries didn't have a gatekeeper, I covered my shoulders out of respect.

In Athens no one seemed to care as long as you had clothes on.

Light colored lightweight linen pants are as cool as shorts, perhaps cooler as they keep the sun off your skin.

What I am struggling with is the question of "tights" that the young teens wear. My 12 and 13 year old g-daughters are thinking they will wear tights on the day we go through the Vatican.

By "tights" - I mean ankle length covering but "tighter" than capri pants and worn under a dressy pair of shorts more like what I once called Bermuda shorts. BUT - the shorts would not be long enough to cover the knees. The "tights" would cover but -- are "tight".

I'm thinking that you've got a 50-50 chance of being turned away. The guards seemed to lean conservative. I saw one woman get turned away because the sarong she had wrapped around her waist slitted up to just past her knee. The guards make up their minds and that's it. At least at the Vatican I would make sure they are in longer skirts, capris, or pants. It would be a shame to be turned away when it's so easy to just wear something else to begin with.

Based on the sign at the entrance, what I've seen, and what I've read, I do not think tights will qualify for entrance at the Vatican. Besides, it sounds hot! I understand teens have their sense of style to consider, but there are cute modal knit skirts and dresses out there that would qualify for entrance. If they choose a dress that is a sundress-type, bring a lightweight cardi or even scarf to cover their shoulders and they will be fine (and not as hot).

Based on the sign at the entrance, what I've seen, and what I've read, I do not think tights will qualify for entrance at the Vatican. Besides, it sounds hot! I understand teens have their sense of style to consider, but there are cute modal knit skirts and dresses out there that would qualify for entrance. If they choose a dress that is a sundress-type, bring a lightweight cardi or even scarf to cover their shoulders and they will be fine (and not as hot).

Thanks to all for your comments but I asked the wrong question.

I talked with my daughter and she advised that what the girls wear are NOT tights as I said - - but rather "leggings" with a top or shirt that falls mid-thigh. The kids call them "pants" and they are similar to capris. Apparently a popular dress for school.

Any comments about "leggings"? Would those be considered acceptable in your opinion?

I talked with my daughter and she advised that what the girls wear are NOT tights as I said - - but rather "leggings" with a top or shirt that falls mid-thigh. The kids call them "pants" and they are similar to capris. Apparently a popular dress for school.

Any comments about "leggings"? Would those be considered acceptable in your opinion?

Leggings are just tights without feet. See my post above.

I am familiar with tights and leggings......

I would not advise wearing either. I agree with others here that it is up to the guards and I don't think they will go for either one of those options. Maybe - but probably not.

Why is this such a sticking point with them..... sometimes kids have to learn that they have to follow the rules...... especially when you travel.... find them a cute sundress and take a wrap.

I understood what you meant the first time (regular contact with teens, lol). But IMO this will not fly at the Vatican.

I am familiar with tights and leggings......

I would not advise wearing either. I agree with others here that it is up to the guards and I don't think they will go for either one of those options. Maybe - but probably not.

Why is this such a sticking point with them..... sometimes kids have to learn that they have to follow the rules...... especially when you travel.... find them a cute sundress and take a wrap.

Thanks. I stand advised.

It's not the kids that are resisting -- they will do what they are told. It is understanding what is acceptable that I am digging for. Obviously they want to pack as "lean" as possible. The solution is to bring what I'd call slacks. Mom will carry them and if the leggings are not acceptable - they will slip the slacks on over them.

I have viewed mixed answers re: leggings. Some say it is "bare knees" that are the issue so leggings are okay. Others say they have worn them with a long top. BUT -- that does not mean when we get there we will get the same response so we will arrive prepared.

Thanks for all the help! And I do appreciate all of the thoughtful answers.

The solution is to bring what I'd call slacks. Mom will carry them and if the leggings are not acceptable - they will slip the slacks on over them.

I have viewed mixed answers re: leggings. Some say it is "bare knees" that are the issue so leggings are okay. Others say they have worn them with a long top. BUT -- that does not mean when we get there we will get the same response so we will arrive prepared.

Thanks for all the help! And I do appreciate all of the thoughtful answers.

Sounds like a plan....but I would make them carry the slacks ;)

Yep, you will get all different answers....but the guards are not consistent and to go all that way, stand in line and then get turned away would be awful indeed !

Sounds like a plan....but I would make them carry the slacks ;)

Yep, you will get all different answers....but the guards are not consistent and to go all that way, stand in line and then get turned away would be awful indeed !

I'll never get them to parent the way we did. But then that's them and we are "us". All in all they are good kids on their way to a first trip to Europe even if it is only for a week. They have learned much already about what they will see and experience through "home work" assignments, what more could I ask for? Thanks much for your suggestions. It is a lot easier to travel with my wife only -- my **total** preference! Yet I love the aspect of seeing "things" through the eyes of "my" next generation.

Happy cruising!

Not sure if any of you are familiar with the term "ugly American". It seems to have come from the ignorance of many people from the U.S. regarding customs of other countries. Not trying to be mean or argumentative. . . . just feel that it is very important to check out what is considered rude or offensive in countries that you will be visiting. This is easy to do with Google. There are many things we do in this country that is offensive in other countries (and visa versa).

There are differences in dress codes for churches within Italy. In Venice, for instance, men can wear shorts that come below the knees. Obviously, in Rome, long pants ar required. I suggest either checking the customs in every port you visit or simply dress conservatively when visiting countries you are not sure of.

An example of cultural differences: In England, if you are in a noisy place and want to order two drinks and hold your two fingers up the wrong way, it is the same as "flipping a person off" in the U.S. In some countries, if you are in line waiting, it is perfectly acceptable to push you aside and get in front of you. If you are ever pushed aside, you may see why I wish everyone would learn what is acceptable in the countries you visit. Ignorance is no excuse.

Not sure if any of you are familiar with the term "ugly American". It seems to have come from the ignorance of many people from the U.S. regarding customs of other countries. Not trying to be mean or argumentative. . . . just feel that it is very important to check out what is considered rude or offensive in countries that you will be visiting. This is easy to do with Google. There are many things we do in this country that is offensive in other countries (and visa versa).

There are differences in dress codes for churches within Italy. In Venice, for instance, men can wear shorts that come below the knees. Obviously, in Rome, long pants ar required. I suggest either checking the customs in every port you visit or simply dress conservatively when visiting countries you are not sure of.

An example of cultural differences: In England, if you are in a noisy place and want to order two drinks and hold your two fingers up the wrong way, it is the same as "flipping a person off" in the U.S. In some countries, if you are in line waiting, it is perfectly acceptable to push you aside and get in front of you. If you are ever pushed aside, you may see why I wish everyone would learn what is acceptable in the countries you visit. Ignorance is no excuse.

I would think most of us understand the "ugly American" aspect of travel and go out of our way to N0T be perceived as such.

I'll never get them to parent the way we did. But then that's them and we are "us". All in all they are good kids on their way to a first trip to Europe even if it is only for a week. They have learned much already about what they will see and experience through "home work" assignments, what more could I ask for? Thanks much for your suggestions. It is a lot easier to travel with my wife only -- my **total** preference! Yet I love the aspect of seeing "things" through the eyes of "my" next generation.

Happy cruising!

So true !!! Dh and I have decided we definitely prefer to travel with just the 2 of us....... but I will always remember fondly 2 trips to Jamaica I did with my parents ....... very special indeed. Your grandkids are very fortunate indeed !

• 11 months later...

Rather than start a new thread, I was hoping to get some updates on this one. We've been to Italy multiple times so we're not newbies, but I was wondering specifically which basilicas and churches people most recently have found to be most rigid in enforcing their standard dress code.

Rather than start a new thread, I was hoping to get some updates on this one. We've been to Italy multiple times so we're not newbies, but I was wondering specifically which basilicas and churches people most recently have found to be most rigid in enforcing their standard dress code.

I think you've got a couple of choices here: Dress exactly as you please and expect to get refused admission to some amazing places by those who feel you are being disrespectful. Or plan a simple church-touring outfit, like trousers with zip-off legs, and a couple of light scarves for the females in your group. It can be really easy to be respectful.

The Vatican for sure; knees and shoulders covered. I also wandered into a church on the walk to the Spanish Steps; I was asked almost immediately to cover up (I had on a sleeveless blouse because of the heat). I had a sweater with me, I had just forgotten. So I would be sure to wear capris and carry a light coverup just in case as it could happen anywhere.

Ladies: For those of you who prefer wearing shorts, have any of you ever carried and used a wrap-around skirt? And if so, any particular recommendations? My daughter won't wear capris so I'm trying to work with her! I'm thinking I can throw a lightweight wrap skirt in the backpack as a contingency for her. :)

In Rome, St. Peter's Basilica, Santa Maria Maggiore, St. John Laterano.

In Florence, the Duomo

I completely agree.

The picture clearly shows what the requirements are, and for men, pants are required. Whether this is enforced 100% of the time or not isn't really the question. It is certainly enforced a majority of the time based on what I've seen over the years and many visits to the basilica.

The basilica is a bit different given that there is the manpower to actually have someone look at what you're wearing and decide whether you pass muster. Not all (smaller) churches can afford to do this. Personally, I feel that a church (or any place of worship) belongs to the people who make up its congregation. If they are nice enough to allow me, a complete stranger, into their place of worship just to see some treasure or another (usually at no charge), the very LEAST I can do is show some respect for their requested dress code.

The Vatican was the most restrictive and most enforced when we were there this past June. We actually refused to let a couple of middle aged men in shorts in. My Grandson was 19 and wore a thin pair of khakis just to be safe. At Ephesus, we went to the House of Mary. He had on cargo shorts that were below the knee and we had on capris and we were fine. Ephesus was very hot! We went to the church (can't remember the name) where the Mouth of Truth is. We hadn't planned to go in the church, but to get to the Mouth of Truth, you are pretty much left with going into the church. It was quite interesting, so I'm glad we went. My daughter had on a tank top and they gave her this wrap out of a semi-disposable material to use. They were VERY strict. Those were the only two places we had a problem. Taormina had a church we went into with capris and cargo shorts (male teen) were acceptable. We found that t-shirts and capris and the cargo shorts were acceptable with the exception of the Vatican. Just our experience.

That's why I like the light scarves. If they're big enough, she can just tie one around her waist like a pareo or a sarong. Another one can cover bare shoulders. Job done! :)

Any tips on the most economical place to buy one of these? I considered just going to JoAnns and getting a piece of fabric and creating my own with some safety pins for the amount of time we're truly going to need it.

I have seen tons of lightweight skirts with elastic waists in the stores--that could be another alternative to capris, or could even be kept in a backpack.

Amazon has a large selection of pareos for under $20: http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A2858778011&field-is_prime_benefit=1&ie=UTF8#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5?url=search-alias%3Dapparel&field-keywords=pareos+and+sarongs&sprefix=pareo%2Capparel%2C129&rh=n%3A1036592%2Ck%3Apareos+and+sarongs

which would work, although personally I'd feel a bit silly wearing one in Rome.

Any tips on the most economical place to buy one of these? I considered just going to JoAnns and getting a piece of fabric and creating my own with some safety pins for the amount of time we're truly going to need it.

I think Cathy's suggestion of sarongs and pareos might be the most convenient approach.

I have seen tons of lightweight skirts with elastic waists in the stores--that could be another alternative to capris, or could even be kept in a backpack.

Amazon has a large selection of pareos for under $20: http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A2858778011&field-is_prime_benefit=1&ie=UTF8#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5?url=search-alias%3Dapparel&field-keywords=pareos+and+sarongs&sprefix=pareo%2Capparel%2C129&rh=n%3A1036592%2Ck%3Apareos+and+sarongs

which would work, although personally I'd feel a bit silly wearing one in Rome.

Thank you!

Archived