Churches and attire

beachseeker

Rome can be beastly, unbearably hot in the summer and a lightweight, flowy below-the-knee skirt will be much cooler than capris or slacks. If the waistband is elastic, the skirt can be rolled shorter for fashion and lengthened for church visitations.

Lord knows I wish we had a dress code for our local Catholic churches- I see so many young girls at Mass wearing those skimpy shorts that are no bigger than a pair of panties- where are their mothers??? And how did I ever get to be such a fuddy-duddy:eek:?

I don't know how old your daughter is but sometimes you as the mother need explain things need to be done for a reason. if she doesn't want to dress appropriately tell her to sit outside and wait on you.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Give the daughter a choice - dress appropriately or sit outside.

Jeans are fine, but in summer you will roast. I have worn jeans in the wintertime all over Europe.

Thanks. Anyone have any idea when it starts to cool down over there? We're there end of Sept into the first week of October.

Thanks. Anyone have any idea when it starts to cool down over there? We're there end of Sept into the first week of October.

That will be a great time to go. It should be cooler in late September but it still can be quite warm. And, perhaps, there will be smaller crowds, although I've been there in September and in October, and crowds were certainly still a factor.

Regarding something comfortable and acceptable to wear anywhere in Europe, I prefer linen pants to jeans or a skirt. Linen does wrinkle, but it is cool and breathable.

That will be a great time to go. It should be cooler in late September but it still can be quite warm. And, perhaps, there will be smaller crowds, although I've been there in September and in October, and crowds were certainly still a factor.

Regarding something comfortable and acceptable to wear anywhere in Europe, I prefer linen pants to jeans or a skirt. Linen does wrinkle, but it is cool and breathable.

Thanks Chloe. My hubby is a jeans or shorts man. Trying to figure out what I can put him in that will be comfortable.

My guess is that it will most likely still be on the warm side; we have been there in November and it was shirtsleeve weather. I would be prepared for anything though--you never know.

Thanks Chloe. My hubby is a jeans or shorts man. Trying to figure out what I can put him in that will be comfortable.

You're welcome. My hubby is a jeans man too, but he found a pair of lightweight travel pants at REI.com that are on the order of cargo pants, but a little nicer looking. When its hot, he wears those. They wash and dry easily. Great for a cruise because they can look good enough to be smart casual for dinner on the ship too.

You're welcome. My hubby is a jeans man too, but he found a pair of lightweight travel pants at REI.com that are on the order of cargo pants, but a little nicer looking. When its hot, he wears those. They wash and dry easily. Great for a cruise because they can look good enough to be smart casual for dinner on the ship too.

Oooohh!! I'm going to check that out. Thanks!

REI outlet has a great sale on them! I just picked up 2 more paid!! I have a paid by royal robbins and they are so light weight and comfortable! AND I HATE pants!! And what I liked about them, at least for me, I liked the level where the shorts are when unzippered!

REI outlet has a great sale on them! I just picked up 2 more paid!! I have a paid by royal robbins and they are so light weight and comfortable! AND I HATE pants!! And what I liked about them, at least for me, I liked the level where the shorts are when unzippered!

OMG stop giving me shopping ideas! I just bought a new camera the other day after reading a review. :eek:

OMG stop giving me shopping ideas! I just bought a new camera the other day after reading a review. :eek:

The royal Robbins are Reg 70...now on for 32...I think when I bought them on friday they were $26,lol (REI outlet)

I had bought the Columbia ones from Amazon....but the Royal Robbins felt much nicer! Still very light weight, but they felt a tad dressier, the Columbia ones felt much cheaper. Just my 2 cents--I'm a guy, what do I know about clothes,lol

The royal Robbins are Reg 70...now on for 32...I think when I bought them on friday they were $26,lol (REI outlet)

I had bought the Columbia ones from Amazon....but the Royal Robbins felt much nicer! Still very light weight, but they felt a tad dressier, the Columbia ones felt much cheaper. Just my 2 cents--I'm a guy, what do I know about clothes,lol

You may also want to check out the pants by Ex Officio. They also look a tad nicer, along the lines of Royal Robbins. The Nio Amphibi convertibles are nice (my ex has a pair). Lightweight, security pocket, quick dry, and they come in regular, long, and short lengths.

Back a tad on topic: If I even think I may drop into a church (for me, any place in Europe), I will not wear shorts. I'll wear my lightweight pants and a short sleeve shirt. I'm not a dress/skirt person, so pants it is. I get a little miffed when people try to see what they can get away with. This is a place of worship, be respectful and dress accordingly. If you don't want to follow the dress code, drop the churches from your visit list. Another plus is that I'm always dressed enough to drop into just about any restaurant for lunch or an early dinner if I want.

I don't own Columbia stock so I don't have a dog in this fight. be sure you check the inseams of the shorts part. some come up really short and others way to long for me anyway. The Columbia's come in at least 4 different materials. The super light (think fly fishing) are cool and will dry instantly or you can go to their all cotton heavier but also hotter. Patagonia, North Face, LL Bean, Orvis almost any sporting company makes them. The trouble with Sierra Trading, REI, etc are their limited size availability. Also, if you really like them and want to go back and get another pair you may be out of luck. If you have a Dick's, Gander Mountain or any of the big box sporting stores close they will have a large selection.

The Ex Officio are really nice and I have a pair but they are $99 vs

http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/mens-bugsaway-ziwa-convertible-pant-short-length

1122-6549_8020_alt_01?$Alt$

Back a tad on topic: If I even think I may drop into a church (for me, any place in Europe), I will not wear shorts. I'll wear my lightweight pants and a short sleeve shirt. I'm not a dress/skirt person, so pants it is. I get a little miffed when people try to see what they can get away with. This is a place of worship, be respectful and dress accordingly. If you don't want to follow the dress code, drop the churches from your visit list. Another plus is that I'm always dressed enough to drop into just about any restaurant for lunch or an early dinner if I want.

Well said!

I get a little miffed when people try to see what they can get away with. This is a place of worship, be respectful and dress accordingly. If you don't want to follow the dress code, drop the churches from your visit list.

exactly.. don't get my wife started about what the young ladies(?) are wearing to Mass these days.

I get a little miffed when people try to see what they can get away with. This is a place of worship, be respectful and dress accordingly. If you don't want to follow the dress code, drop the churches from your visit list.

exactly.. don't get my wife started about what the young ladies(?) are wearing to Mass these days.

Your wife and I are kindred spirits. See my post #51 on page 3!

Where in Central Ohio are you from, Rockey? We're on the north coast.

Archived