Churches and attire

beachseeker

We are doing a private tour ... My sons 22 & 18 are not really into the convertible pants, lol ... I told them they have to wear pants but figure they can both throw a pair of shorts in small backpack if they are hot and just change after the Vatican tour, if necessary. I was at first thinking that long shorts would work but agree with the thought of why take a chance, I'd hate to offend and also to not get them into the Vatican.

Hubby and I were in Rome a few years ago and he wore very long denim shorts and no one stopped him, but maybe we got lucky maybe they were okay to wear, I'm just not willing to waste time worrying. Pants it will be for all boys. I love maxi skirts so I'm good, lol.

Your wife and I are kindred spirits. See my post #51 on page 3!

Where in Central Ohio are you from, Rockey? We're on the north coast.

just NE of Cols.. New Albany,

wife did 16 years in Catholic schools.. she can't even imagine showing up for church looking like some of these 'ladies' do.

My other feeling on what to wear on a Med cruise: In some of the ports, like Citi, Livorno and Barcelona, you are really going into a major European CITY. You're in a city, not a Caribbean or Med beach town. It should be two different types of dress: totally casual, shorts, Tshirts for the beach town, something a bit more upscale for the city. Long pants, skirts, at least short sleeves. First, it's respectful of where you are and second, you don't stick out immediately as a "tourist", so you may not be first pick of the pickpockets and the ripoff gelato vendors:D

If convertible pants are the way to go for those who just can't bear the thought of wearing long pants all day. Start wearing them as pants - you may find out that you don't need to zip them off!

My other feeling on what to wear on a Med cruise: In some of the ports, like Citi, Livorno and Barcelona, you are really going into a major European CITY. You're in a city, not a Caribbean or Med beach town.
I agree, but then I look around at what tourists (mostly Americans) are wearing in Washington D.C. (another national capital, like Rome) or other major cities like New York, and I realize that we Americans just don't seem to care.

I agree, but then I look around at what tourists (mostly Americans) are wearing in Washington D.C. (another national capital, like Rome) or other major cities like New York, and I realize that we Americans just don't seem to care.

I agree with what tourists wear in DC and stuff. But, to me, European cities are not nearly as casual as American cities. Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel that I'm getting looked at as much and I am always treated well because I'm not standing out due to my attire. American cruisers are a funny bunch: they worry about being appropriately dressed on the ship, but don't worry about dressing for the place they are visiting, I guess. I'm the opposite - probably why I like NCL ;)

If convertible pants are the way to go for those who just can't bear the thought of wearing long pants all day. Start wearing them as pants - you may find out that you don't need to zip them off!

Try telling that to my 12 year old boy who regularly wears shorts to school in the dead of Washington DC area winter! :rolleyes: :D

We are doing a private tour ... My sons 22 & 18 are not really into the convertible pants, l.

I just got linen-like cargo pants from Old Navy for the boys (15 & 17) they also have non-cargo too. That way they're still the style they like but no where near as heavy as wearing the regular ones.

Try telling that to my 12 year old boy who regularly wears shorts to school in the dead of Washington DC area winter! :rolleyes: :D

Been there, lived through it and survived. Thankfully he's now a 24-year-old military officer and others tell him what to wear.

Actually, he and I went to Italy alone when he was 13. We had a talk beforehand (this was back when he was still a little afraid of me) and I made it clear that what he got away with at home wasn't going to fly abroad, not if I was paying for the trip. He wore khakis and shirts with collars all week, as well as nice walking shoes in place of his sneakers.

Of course, that trip started an expensive habit with us ... he quickly figured out how to weasel out a new wardrobe before each trip. I do love that he's the only kid in the family who puts on a shirt and tie when he has dinner with his grandmother (but that's really thanks to a strict high school football coach, who "readjusted" his attitude).

Been there, lived through it and survived. Thankfully he's now a 24-year-old military officer and others tell him what to wear.

Actually, he and I went to Italy alone when he was 13. We had a talk beforehand (this was back when he was still a little afraid of me) and I made it clear that what he got away with at home wasn't going to fly abroad, not if I was paying for the trip. He wore khakis and shirts with collars all week, as well as nice walking shoes in place of his sneakers.

Of course, that trip started an expensive habit with us ... he quickly figured out how to weasel out a new wardrobe before each trip. I do love that he's the only kid in the family who puts on a shirt and tie when he has dinner with his grandmother (but that's really thanks to a strict high school football coach, who "readjusted" his attitude).

Well done. :) Read a book a long time ago, "Parenting isn't for wimps". Boy, ain't that the truth.

The irony with my son is that he loves formal night and dressing up! He actually likes to wear a suite, shirt and tie! The problem is that his body thermostat seems to run about 10 degrees warmer than a human's so he is uncomfortably warm most of the year! He wears a t-shirt, shorts and no jacket to school in 40 degree weather. He sleeps in only his undies and a light sheet in the dead of winter. By spring, he's sleeping in just undies with a fan blasting full speed. By summer, he runs around the house half-naked! :) I think a decent shirt and zip-off pants are still my best shot with him!

The irony with my son is that he loves formal night and dressing up! He actually likes to wear a suite, shirt and tie! The problem is that his body thermostat seems to run about 10 degrees warmer than a human's so he is uncomfortably warm most of the year! He wears a t-shirt, shorts and no jacket to school in 40 degree weather. He sleeps in only his undies and a light sheet in the dead of winter. By spring, he's sleeping in just undies with a fan blasting full speed. By summer, he runs around the house half-naked! :) I think a decent shirt and zip-off pants are still my best shot with him!

My son was like that at the same age. I think it's all the adolescent hormones kicking in, honestly.

Now that he's older, he's constantly complaining that he's cold. (In Atlanta. In the summer. :rolleyes:). When I remind him of how he used to stand out waiting for the bus in winter in shorts and (if forced) a lightweight hoodie, he can't believe it....

my son was like that at the same age. I think it's all the adolescent hormones kicking in, honestly.

Now that he's older, he's constantly complaining that he's cold. (in atlanta. In the summer. :rolleyes:). When i remind him of how he used to stand out waiting for the bus in winter in shorts and (if forced) a lightweight hoodie, he can't believe it....

lol

who's the boss?
I really don't need the attitude or lecture from you. I asked a straightforward question about options so that my two kids can be appropriately dressed when visiting places of worship. I assume as long as they enter with appropriate attire, then we have been respectful and have met the standard for entry. As a parent who will pick his battles, I choose not to force them to wear pants in the 90+ degree heat. But I certainly didn't ask for your off-topic remarks or opinion, or ask you to judge my parenting skills. If you don't have anything helpful to say in response to my question, then don't say anything.

Because I don't want to be one of those ugly Americans, I learn and speak some of the native language in countries that I visit frequently (e.g. Italian, French, Spanish and Chinese). I personally feel it is disrespectful for any tourist/visitor to expect the natives to speak their foreign language, i.e. English. I'm not the preachy type, but if I were, I'd be asking whether you bothered to learn and speak Italian!

Did you guys go and take a break for dinner and a cocktail and decide to come back to hash it out? Don't make me get out my paddle with holes drilled into it! ;)

Come on guys, I think we ALL get a little too sensitive in here. We're trying to plan an awesome trip and cruise.

Ok, hug and make up.

Right now, Converse All Stars seem to be big with the kids in Italy. Maybe entice the boys to wear lightweight convertibles (starting at pants ;) and they can pick out a new pair of Converse to wear on the trip... Bribery can go a ways...

I wore my convertibles in pants mode all the time in Egypt, even when it was 109 degrees in the Valley of the Kings. I thought I'd zip off but never did. The lightweight convertibles offer some convective cooling properties...

If he absolutely refuses to wear pants, at least buy him a nice pair of cargos or golf shorts and be sure the really fit and aren't dragging baggy ;) He just won't be able to go inside some of the sights with the family.

Right now, Converse All Stars seem to be big with the kids in Italy. Maybe entice the boys to wear lightweight convertibles (starting at pants ;) and they can pick out a new pair of Converse to wear on the trip... Bribery can go a ways...

I wore my convertibles in pants mode all the time in Egypt, even when it was 109 degrees in the Valley of the Kings. I thought I'd zip off but never did. The lightweight convertibles offer some convective cooling properties...

If he absolutely refuses to wear pants, at least buy him a nice pair of cargos or golf shorts and be sure the really fit and aren't dragging baggy ;) He just won't be able to go inside some of the sights with the family.

My son understands that he needs to wear pants--that's not an issue so there's no need for bribery. I just know that he doesn't find them comfortable even in the winter, much less in the summer. So that's why we will go the zip-off pants route as we have done a couple times before. All this was decided before I ever posted here.

Anyhow, one of the two reasons I revisited this thread was to understand options for my daughter. I proposed the capris, sarongs, elastic skirts and long dresses to her, and she has decided that she will wear some long summer dresses. So, with the exception of one person, thanks to everyone else for their helpful suggestions!

This is where- unfortunately - kids will learn their lessons.

You can bribe and sometimes it works. In the U.S. it's becoming more of an epidemic. If parents of now days (like ours) would allow our kid to just learn their lessons and GO THROUGH THE EMBARRASSMENT like we did, entitlement would be such an issue.

If your child refuses (after explaining what the requirements are) let them wear what they want. If they are rejected (explain ahead of time what they will be missing out on) oh well. Let them feel the fear of being in a foreign country with nothing. Sit here and wait for us. No money, nothing!

I'm sorry, I'm on the cusp of this generation but learned a good lesson from a father in the military. If you want to coddle your pre-teen or almost adult child, then don't come on here asking for advice on "HOW TO BREAK THE RULES". ASK YOUR PRESIDENT! how to break rules!! don't ruin it for the rest of us who want to find some real answers.Deal with on your own!

The rest of us are trying to plan a great vacation!!

Lots of European boys wear capris (more tailored, this is not the same as a long pair of baggie cargo shorts like you see in the US). My son (14, lives in Germany, dresses like his German friends) LOVES them. Not as hot as pants, and most are made of very breathable cool fabrics, but he can sit on a bench, or stone wall, or whatnot without his skin touching the hot/dirty surface AND he has been in lots of Italian churches (Vatican included) in them.

That might be an option for your son if converting back and forth from shorts to pants all day long seems tiresome.

My DD16 is like this. She has run hotter than everyone else since she was tiny. It is nothing new with hormones for her.

She finds that in the heat of Italy or Spain, light weight, breathable fabrics, in light colors that cover more skin (especially shoulders) are COOLER than exposing more of herself to the sun :)

When my son was five (almost 20 years ago)living in hawaii, yes he had to learn how to go to school with tennis shoes.

It's part of being a parent. Girls aren't as difficult, but please don't come on here looking for ways that you can get around rules and regulations. Someone is going to give you a spanking.

Raise your kids the way you want (honorable or not), but don't expect others to give you ways to get around rules.

And don't expect others here to give you tips on how to break rules. If it says long pant, then ITS LONG PANTS. Stop trying to get around it!

And long skirts!!! Whatever!!!

When my son was five (almost 20 years ago)living in hawaii, yes he had to learn how to go to school with tennis shoes.

It's part of being a parent. Girls aren't as difficult, but please don't come on here looking for ways that you can get around rules and regulations. Someone is going to give you a spanking.

Raise your kids the way you want (honorable or not), but don't expect others to give you ways to get around rules.

And don't expect others here to give you tips on how to break rules. If it says long pant, then ITS LONG PANTS. Stop trying to get around it!

And long skirts!!! Whatever!!!

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Wow, this thread has gotten off on a weird tangent. I don't think anyone has come on looking for ways to skirt the regulations. I raised 3 kids and I know how stubborn they can be. I think people are just looking for suggestions as to what worked for them, and their kids, while being respectful to local customs.

Wow, this thread has gotten off on a weird tangent. I don't think anyone has come on looking for ways to skirt the regulations. I raised 3 kids and I know how stubborn they can be. I think people are just looking for suggestions as to what worked for them, and their kids, while being respectful to local customs.
I'm glad someone understands what is being asked and can provide helpful answers, while others feel the need to lecture others on parenting even when nobody is trying to skirt anything! :rolleyes:

Archived