Churches and attire

beachseeker

I'm glad someone understands what is being asked and can provide helpful answers, while others feel the need to lecture others on parenting even when nobody is trying to skirt anything! :rolleyes:

I'm so so sorry. I wish DH would lock up my computer when I've had way way too much to drink.

If the dd is doing dresses now, again be sure that they cover the knees. If the dress does not have sleeves, bring the big scarf that can cover her shoulders (and perhaps tie in front).

I thought you asked originally what the kids could get away with for church visits. It is a delicate issue for some of us. I apologize if I offended. I got miffed online another forum because some folks came to breakfast at a 5* hotel in baseball hats, shirts from a rock concert and typical US baggy shorts. It just wasn't right...

If the dd is doing dresses now, again be sure that they cover the knees. If the dress does not have sleeves, bring the big scarf that can cover her shoulders (and perhaps tie in front).

I thought you asked originally what the kids could get away with for church visits. It is a delicate issue for some of us. I apologize if I offended. I got miffed online another forum because some folks came to breakfast at a 5* hotel in baseball hats, shirts from a rock concert and typical US baggy shorts. It just wasn't right...

Perhaps I was not clear so I apologize if I was not. We (including my kids) have been to Italy and its churches probably as much, if not more, than many of you! In fact, my wife and I were married in Rome. :)

The purpose of my questions were to see if dress code standards had changed in the intervening years, to see if covered shoulders, capris and skirts just below the knees were still acceptable, and to explore options for my daughter. Perhaps some on this board will still think we are trying to "get away" with something, but I am honestly not interested in meeting some unspoken higher or loftier dress code standard either. As far as I am concerned, if some girl wants to wear a mini-skirt to mass and people here feel that is disrespectful, well that's a matter for your church and clientele, but this thread isn't the place to debate that because I really don't care. I hope my son and I didn't earn being flamed for wearing zip-off pants simply because our intent is not to wear them as pants after we exit a particular church. We are not a religious family, so we don't have any experiential basis for "appropriateness" in a place of worship, so I ask questions and then do my best to respect those guidelines. Nothing anyone here says will make me feel the holy spirit in a church but you can help me dress more appropriately.

I totally agree about the ugly American dress code here and abroad. And my son and daughter are rather typical of the current generation of youth, and pot shots at my parenting aside, we do do our best to work with them. But if we must go off on a tangent to discuss Americans and respectful and appropriate behaviors abroad, then I say we must consider the problem more broadly than just about clothing. There are numerous things Americans do that are disrespectful of a country or culture we are visiting: poor fashion choices, not speaking the language, tipping, restaurant behavior (e.g. asking for separate checks), etc. Please allow me to just say: we can ALL do better...

Anyhow, thanks again to everyone who has offered clothing suggestions!

Perhaps I was not clear so I apologize if I was not. We (including my kids) have been to Italy and its churches probably as much, if not more, than many of you! In fact, my wife and I were married in Rome. :)

The purpose of my questions were to see if dress code standards had changed in the intervening years, to see if covered shoulders, capris and skirts just below the knees were still acceptable, and to explore options for my daughter. Perhaps some on this board will still think we are trying to "get away" with something, but I am honestly not interested in meeting some unspoken higher or loftier dress code standard either. As far as I am concerned, if some girl wants to wear a mini-skirt to mass and people here feel that is disrespectful, well that's a matter for your church and clientele, but this thread isn't the place to debate that because I really don't care. I hope my son and I didn't earn being flamed for wearing zip-off pants simply because our intent is not to wear them as pants after we exit a particular church. We are not a religious family, so we don't have any experiential basis for "appropriateness" in a place of worship, so I ask questions and then do my best to respect those guidelines. Nothing anyone here says will make me feel the holy spirit in a church but you can help me dress more appropriately.

I totally agree about the ugly American dress code here and abroad. And my son and daughter are rather typical of the current generation of youth, and pot shots at my parenting aside, we do do our best to work with them. But if we must go off on a tangent to discuss Americans and respectful and appropriate behaviors abroad, then I say we must consider the problem more broadly than just about clothing. There are numerous things Americans do that are disrespectful of a country or culture we are visiting: poor fashion choices, not speaking the language, tipping, restaurant behavior (e.g. asking for separate checks), etc. Please allow me to just say: we can ALL do better...

According to the folks that are taking us on our tour, the dress code is still the same. I've bought a couple of those convertible pant for DH and I'll probably use a shawl over my maxi dress. :)

I was looking also to refresh my memory on proper dress code for churches, etc. in Europe mostly for DS - is first time traveling with us to Europe. I had the idea that whatever was proper for the Vatican would work for any other church - here are the "rules."

http://www.papalaudience.org/dress-code

I think if you just follow this, you will be properly attired for any situation.

Hope this helps:)

I am another one who misunderstood your original post. I thought you might be looking for advice on how much you could get away with, and where to toe the line in the "stricter" churches, like St Peter's.

I apologise for being a tad abrupt in my first reply to you. I see too many posts from people who are looking to get away with something, and I should not have tarred you with the same brush.

I was looking also to refresh my memory on proper dress code for churches, etc. in Europe mostly for DS - is first time traveling with us to Europe. I had the idea that whatever was proper for the Vatican would work for any other church - here are the "rules."

I think if you just follow this, you will be properly attired for any situation.

Thanks for the link. Looks quite clear to me.

I like how those rules specifically call out zip-off pants (worn as pants) is perfectly acceptable wear :D

I like how those rules specifically call out zip-off pants (worn as pants) is perfectly acceptable wear :D

Although, interesting that the rules state "men" and "women". I wonder if children simply fall into the particular gender of which they are?

Archived