Turkish Visas

DCPIV

Hello,

We will enjoy our first Silversea cruise in July, Istanbul to Athens (Voyage #2222). We have received different answers from Silversea as to what sort of visas are required for Turkey. One answer is that we just pick it up for around $20/person at the airport when we arrive in Istanbul. The other answer was to spend around $200/person for an advance visa. We will require a multiple entry visa, due to the cruise itinerary.

Can anyone help clear this up? We do not mind spending the extra money and dealing with the extra hassle, if that is required. However, if it isn't, we'd rather not.

I apologize for asking, when I see that this topic has been covered a bit in past posts. However, I could not tell if those posts regarded multiple entry visas.

Thanks!

D

We have just done Istanbul to Athens on Silver Wind. When you get off the plane at Istanbul there is a kiosk before Passport Control where you can obtain the Visa, you can pay in any currency we are English so paid in £ which worked out slightly cheaper than $ or €. I think the fee was about $20. You then just go on to passport control.

Thank you, both, for your quick answers. That puts our minds at ease. We were not thrilled with mailing our passports away, but we more dreaded the thought of arriving in Istanbul and not being able to leave the airport.

Yes, we are US, so we'll be paying with $$$. However, we may have some £ lying around from our last London jaunt. This might be a good use for them, if it raises no questions.

D

Thank you, both, for your quick answers. That puts our minds at ease. We were not thrilled with mailing our passports away, but we more dreaded the thought of arriving in Istanbul and not being able to leave the airport.

Yes, we are US, so we'll be paying with $$$. However, we may have some £ lying around from our last London jaunt. This might be a good use for them, if it raises no questions.

D

I would say that if you use £10 sterling notes you will have less trouble.

It is $20 per person in US dollars payable at a desk in the airport as soon as you get off the plane. It is good for the whole cruise. They take cash--and prefer relatively new looking bills. I have done this twice and it is super easy.

Yes, we did get the visa at the airport for I think about $20. Our experience was very frustrating however. Three flights landed at about 5pm and the visa windows were not open. Hundreds of people milling around trying to find the correct line to be in. We waited in one line for about 30 mins and then a soldier told us we were in the wrong line). Finally arrived at our hotel (hot and tired) about 8 pm.

• 2 weeks later...

We flew into Istanbul for a cruise about 18 months ago and a Visa was required. The airport line was slow due to a holiday, but the wait was bearable. The one currency they did not accept in payment for the Turkish visa is the Turkish Lira.

Archived