Capitan Bob Cass

carlp

We sailed on Harmony of the Seas in March and one of our stops was St. Martin.  Captain Bob's excursion was recommended to us by my husband's boss.  We are so glad he told us about it. The dock was only about a 10 minute walk from the ship, so no transportation needed.  We were traveling with three other couples so the eight of us went on Captain Bob's excursion.  We all thought it was great.  The captain and his female deck hand couldn't have been more attentive to our needs, fun and polite.  The boat was very clean and well kept.  We went to beautiful beaches, some you could only get there by boat.  They served sandwiches for lunch, but these were not your ordinary sandwiches; they were wonderful.  The crew was very time conscientious and got us back to the dock in plenty of time for our ship's departure.  We will definitely do this excursion again when we visit St. Martin.  We highly recommend Captain Bob.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Laurie77510 said:

I just booked this for May 19th after being a displaced customer from Oasis and switching to Harmony! I am beginning to think everything happened for a reason and can't wait to go on this!! :) 

You are going to love it! We have been on it twice and plan on going again in November. It still is my favorite excursion of any that I have done on all of my cruises. They used to do a lunch at one of the local restaurants but stopped doing that. I am so glad that they did as there is something so wonderful about eating freshly made sandwiches on the boat in between swimming and enjoying the sun. It was a GREAT change and we can't wait to go back. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of questions... This tour looks great, but my wife isn't into snorkeling... How much of it is snorkeling? will she be bored on this excursion?  Also, I saw beer, water and soda as drink options... She's not a beer drinker. Do they have any other adult beverages that aren't beer? Rum Punch? Wine? Hard Cider?  Thanks for your help!

3 hours ago, jlarge said:

Couple of questions... This tour looks great, but my wife isn't into snorkeling... How much of it is snorkeling? will she be bored on this excursion?  Also, I saw beer, water and soda as drink options... She's not a beer drinker. Do they have any other adult beverages that aren't beer? Rum Punch? Wine? Hard Cider?  Thanks for your help!

So it has been almost a year since I did it, but here's my experience:

1) Snorkeling is a decent amount of the time, maybe 75 minutes altogether, if not a bit more, between two different spots. I snorkeled both times. My wife just snorkeled the first time and ingested too much salt water so she sat the second time out and just floated on the boat, chatted with the captain (Brett, I believe), and had a beer. Even if you don't snorkel, you're still out on a boat floating around in (usually) nice weather, so that doesn't suck.

2) If was just beer as far as alcohol goes. Two or three different kinds, like Heineken and Bud...wasn't anything local-ish when we went, which was a bummer, but that may change or perhaps supplies were more limited as the storm had hit not too many months before.

• Like 1

My wife and I have experienced this excursion with Capt Bob four times now...3x before the hurricane, and once since.  All of our trips have been excellent and we keep sharing the experience with family and friends whenever we get the chance.  My wife is not a beer drinker, as well, but we asked if we could bring some wine aboard to enjoy with the sandwiches and they obliged.  The store right there at the dock sells wine...very convenient.  They even gave us plastic cups for it!  Bon voyage!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Worldspend said:

My wife and I have experienced this excursion with Capt Bob four times now...3x before the hurricane, and once since.  All of our trips have been excellent and we keep sharing the experience with family and friends whenever we get the chance.  My wife is not a beer drinker, as well, but we asked if we could bring some wine aboard to enjoy with the sandwiches and they obliged.  The store right there at the dock sells wine...very convenient.  They even gave us plastic cups for it!  Bon voyage!

2 questions......1) if we get a drink at pinel island, one of the stops, can we bring it back on the boat? 

2) When we stop for snorkeling can we actually get off the boat to walk around the beach? We do not snorkel. 

56 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

So it has been almost a year since I did it, but here's my experience:

1) Snorkeling is a decent amount of the time, maybe 75 minutes altogether, if not a bit more, between two different spots. I snorkeled both times. My wife just snorkeled the first time and ingested too much salt water so she sat the second time out and just floated on the boat, chatted with the captain (Brett, I believe), and had a beer. Even if you don't snorkel, you're still out on a boat floating around in (usually) nice weather, so that doesn't suck.

2) If was just beer as far as alcohol goes. Two or three different kinds, like Heineken and Bud...wasn't anything local-ish when we went, which was a bummer, but that may change or perhaps supplies were more limited as the storm had hit not too many months before.

1)  Whatever you take on to Pinel Island, you have to take back off with you. In other words, if you bring a beer on shore, you need to bring the can back with you.  I'm sure if you bought a drink on the island you could bring it back with you.  Just ask your captain beforehand...they were always very accommodating to us...  We bought a round of the Guavaberry (local liqueur) Daquiris and enjoyed them at the bar while looking out on to the water...fantastic!

2)  Yes and no...in addition to Pinel Island, there are a couple different stops.  One is snorkeling with the sea turtles...there is a beach there, but I don't recall any one on it because the main attraction is in the water (turtles).  You can stay on the boat and still see the turtles when they come up for air.  There was another stop that was just snorkeling/swimming...no beach.  Another stop had a beach you could swim to (short swim).  It also depends on the weather and sea conditions as to which locations you might or might not stop at as well (just a disclaimer).  Not everyone on our excursions chose to snorkel...some enjoyed just chilling on the boat with music and a drink, soaking up the sun, sea, and scenery! 

16 of us thoroughly enjoyed our excursion yesterday. Fish and turtles weren't plentiful but enjoyed several swimming spots and all the narration & assistance provided by Capt Bob's son, Brett, and asst Dillon. Great sightseeing tour & fun to end watching the planes take off. 

Is Captain Bob primarily full day excursions?  Our ship gets in at 12pm and leaves at 8pm.  We'd be looking for a 4 hour trip.  Their website does mention accommodating later cruise ship arrivals but is it still a longer excursion?  We are also considering Captain Alan because he has a 4 hour.

Also, will we see lots of fish and turtles when snorkeling?  I have read mixed reviews regarding the snorkeling in St Maarten.  The kids want to see plenty of marine life.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 1:57 PM, Laurie77510 said:

2 questions......1) if we get a drink at pinel island, one of the stops, can we bring it back on the boat? 

2) When we stop for snorkeling can we actually get off the boat to walk around the beach? We do not snorkel. 

You would probably want to finish your drink before getting back on the boat.  They normally anchor in the bay and you have to swim to the island and back to the boat.  Not a long way, but the water is fairly deep where they anchor.  At least that's what I remember, it was a 3 years ago when we did the tour.  

One of the places they took us it was just a huge rock  in the ocean and we snorkeled around it.  The other area was a nature preserve and there was a beach in the distance, but I can't remember if you can go on the beach or not.  

• 2 months later...

This was our second visit with Captain Bob.  What a great day! Plenty of snorkeling equipment for everyone, plenty of drinks, very clean boat and helpful Captain and first mate to make our day special.  Always fun watching the jets land at the airport. Lunch was great.