Flam railway

Jo and Rob

I've looked on the internet and the price is about £38 return for adults. Does anyone know if P&O run a railway excursion and if so how much is it? Our trip is in August so the shore excursions aren't available yet and I'd like to do some planning ahead.

If anyone has done the trip on the railway I would love to hear your opinions.

I can't see Flamm railway on its own

They do

Flam Railway And Vatnahalsen £65

Take a trip on one of the most interesting railways in the world and be rewarded with some of the most stunning scenery in Norway.

The Flåm Railway is a remarkable piece of engineering which provides wonderful vistas of the mountains and waterfalls that characterise this beautiful part of Norway. Boarding the train at Flåm Station, you’ll travel along the Flåm River, which is one of the best salmon rivers in the west country, to Vatnahalsen Station at an altitude of 2,845 feet above sea level.

Admire the fabulous passing scenery along the 12½ mile track, including the sheer drop of the Rjoande Waterfall and the impressive peak of Vibmesnosi Mountain. In order to climb the 985 foot Myrdalsberg, the railroad is built on 4 levels. As your train stands on the 4th level, you can see all of the other 3 levels. In order to ensure the best possible views the train will slow down at the finest sections so you have time to take in the dramatic scenery. There will be a brief stop at Kjosfossen Waterfall to photograph the spectacular 305 foot cascading waterfall.

Disembarking at Vatnahalsen, you’ll visit the Mountain Hotel for refreshments of coffee, tea and waffles, before rejoining the train for the return journey back to Flåm

Norway in a Nutshell £97

Presenting some of Norway’s most breathtaking scenery, and one of the world’s most spectacular rail journeys.

The line between Flåm and Myrdal is only 12½ miles long but the journey takes up to 50 minutes. As you climb from 16 to 2,845 feet to Myrdal Station, there are 20 tunnels and 1 stop at the Kjosfoss Waterfall, where you may alight to take photos before continuing your journey.

Changing trains at Myrdal, you’ll pass through the Gravhalsen Tunnel down to the Raundalen mountain valley to Voss, a well known tourist resort in both summer and winter. In Voss, relax over a buffet lunch.

Have your camera ready - as your journey continues by coach, stopping at the Tvinde Waterfall, which cascades down the mountainside. Passing the Oppheim Lake, you’ll soon reach the serpentine bends known as Stalheimskleivane, the steepest road in Norway. On either side there are the Sivle and Stalheim Waterfalls. At the valley floor, the route follows the Nærøy River passing Gudvangen by the Nærøyfjord and then through the tunnels and back to Flåm

Definately go for Norway in a Nutshell. Its about £100, but a packed full day. Coach trip to Voss with a couple of stops on the way (Norwegians can build tunnels!) lunch in Voss, a Norwegian buffet, plenty of choice, an hour to have a wander, we saw a small sea plane land on the lake. Then a Norwegian Rail service train to Myrdal which in itself is an amazing trip, then Flaam railway down the mountain.

They have to split the trip, so you may do the Flaam railway first and come back by coach.

Jo

We did the Flamm railway 5 years ago "DIY". You needed a certain number to pre-book ( essentially a group booking ) - I can't recollect how many but we got some others from our roll call and booked before we went. It was all very easily done on line and significantly cheaper than P and O's trip. The station is very close to where you dock. There were huge queues to get tickets for independent travellers and many didn't manage to get times that fitted in with our port departure so I wouldn't depend on getting tickets when you arrive - either pre-book or go with P and O

Not sure what other ports you have but if you are in Stravanger there is a wonderful museum about the oil industry which our 2 children(12 and 8 at the time ) loved - very "hands on" and interactive! In Olden we did do a Pand O trip to the glacier and In Bergen we "DIY"ed again!

If there is anything I else I can help with just let me know

PS We are off to the Canaries so read your recent report with great interest - thank you!

I've looked on the internet and the price is about £38 return for adults. Does anyone know if P&O run a railway excursion and if so how much is it? Our trip is in August so the shore excursions aren't available yet and I'd like to do some planning ahead.

If anyone has done the trip on the railway I would love to hear your opinions.

Long ago (2004) we did this. The ships (HAL) excursion was 50% more than tickets at the station upon arrival. One difference, the ships exc. people got a waffle. Otherwise we had the same, round trip, spectacular train ride.

To repeat, we bought our tickets at the station when we got off the ship.

Long ago (2004) we did this. The ships (HAL) excursion was 50% more than tickets at the station upon arrival. One difference, the ships exc. people got a waffle. Otherwise we had the same, round trip, spectacular train ride.

To repeat, we bought our tickets at the station when we got off the ship.

There are only 5 of us (we are also going with my father-in-law). Having checked the schedule we seem to be the only ship in Flam. How did it work as far as space on the train and catching the train back again. I'm a bit concerned about getting stuck up a mountain!

£100 for Norway in a nutshell is too expensive for us. Am I right in thinking that the £38 return ticket (and £65 trip) is one train rather than two?

I would agree with the juggler nothing of any note at the top - we had a short walk and drink at the cafe but were still waiting around for the return train. We all said we could quite happily have gone straight back down again. One of the highlights for the children was the short stop they made part of the way up everyone gets off the train and someone dressed up comes out onto a rock in the distance and there is some recorded music - think it is something to do with a Norwegian legend!

We tendered as there was another ship in port and as I said many people didn't get tickets - they could get tickets up but no trains were available to get back in time for departure so they missed the trip. The queues for the booking office were very long. We still had to join the queue but at least our tickets were there waiting for us those. We were there the end of August and it was very busy. It may be if you are the only ship that day that one of you could go ashore early and buy the tickets while the others get ready.

If you could get a small group together booking on line was very easy - I sent numerous e-mails which were always promptly responded to. Depends how you feel about finding others on your sailing to join up with.

We were concerned that any other the longer trips - eg Norway in a nutshell would just be too much for the children - and also too expensive.

It is a lovely journey so enjoy it however you decide to do it!

We tendered as there was another ship in port and as I said many people didn't get tickets - they could get tickets up but no trains were available to get back in time for departure so they missed the trip.

It is a lovely journey so enjoy it however you decide to do it!

Thanks for the warning. As far as I can see from the schedule we are the only ship in on 13th August. If we buy tickets at the station it works out as £96.70 for a family of four which is a bargain compared with the P&O price. You have worried me about the lack of availability on the train so if we don't prebook we will need to make sure that one of us gets off early to buy the tickets. How often do the trains run?

How did it work as far as space on the train and catching the train back again.

There was ample room on the train, and, as I remember, we did't get off of the train...it was an excursion train...up and back...tho it did stop on occasion for photo ops that were also narrated by someone on board.

On our call at Flaam, we went kayaking in the morning, with the intention of taking the train in the afternoon. At around 1pm all tickets for the remainder of the day were sold out - so I'd definitely aim to buy your tickets as early as possible.

As mentioned earlier, Flambooking.com has all the details, have you cheked your date?

You have a choice of about three trains to tie in with a cruise ship visit.

Thanks yes I did check and some have no availability already! I did read however they reserve a couple of carriages for individual passengers rather than group bookings so there is hope.

I would try contacting them by e-mail they were very helpful - and all with excellent English. Good job really as my Norwegian isn't up to much!

Ha! Ha! I love this research stage of cruising!

Archived