Star Family Suite (SJ) - Cabin 12018

computerworks

I disagree with you.

True, it's not that bad.... but it's not that good.

The pool looked somewhat busy each and every time I walked by.

It's busy at 10 o'clock at night? I don't think so.

It's busy at 7am? The people who go there for breakfast make their way there by various routes. And generally they stay there to eat. They are not required to go down the hallway in question.

which is more reason to switch. way too much activity at all times of the day.

So everybody at the pool, regardless of the time of day, is going to be walking down in front of this cabin? Once again; I don't think so. When 5pm rolls around the crowd thins out...a lot. And statistically speaking, most people (2/3rds) head aft towards the buffet to reach the midship elevators. From there they work their way "home". People do tend to take the shortest route possible.

Of the remaining 1/3rd, only 1/2 of them go down this hallway. It's no different, not better, not worse, than any other hallway on the ship.

People are scattered throughout the ship. There are almost 1000 other cabins in other parts of the ship. People only walk down this hallway if they have a reason to. And the people who have a reason to walk down this hallway do not number in the thousands.

If there are 12 suites past your cabin with let's say 6 ppl in each and another 12 inside with 2 ppl each, that alone would be a hell of a lot more ppl walking by your cabin to go to the spa, the outdoor pools, bbq, kids area, teen area and fitness center.

I didn't even think about all the people who come from the deck below. WOW

doors might be heavy but not sound proofed,

ahahahaha. 12 suites with 6 people in them, plus another 24? WOW! How does anybody manage to get any sleep on that ship!

Sarcasm aside - that's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. Big whoop. 96 people? What do you think it's like in every other hallway in the ship? Are every single one of these 96 people whooting and hollering their way down the hall, all day every day?

And do you never leave your cabin? If you're not in your cabin then you can't hear these party-goers and revelers at all hours of the day. The cabin in question will be no different noise-wise than any other cabin on the ship when it comes to the 2am party-goers heading 'home'.

Every hallway throughout the ship has it's times when it's busy. Every single hallway. This particular hallway is no different than any other one on the ship.

Honestly now. You really need to sit back and think about how you responded because it wasn't thought out very well.

I heard too many horror stories about the jogging track above, That alone should have a person move their cabin.

The jogging track would affect most, if not all, cabins on the deck in question. So there is no sense in even bringing that up.

You will hear no more noise than any other deck. The horror stories you've heard are few and far between. Believe me, for every horror story you heard I'm certain there are 1,000 happy stories you never heard.

Yes, I'm certain some dead-end hallways are quieter than others. But to provoke somebody to change their cabin just because you think it's Grand Central Station is just wrong.

We stayed in room 12020 on the Star and it was the best room we have ever had. I thought we might get a lot of traffic since we where directly across from the elevators and in the path of people going to the buffet and pool, but it was surprisingly quiet. Never had any noise at all, not even from the jogging track above. We had two kids 4 and 6 and we had plenty of room for them to wonder around. We are cruising next on the Jewel and we are very sad that they do not offer a family suite. It is either a mini-suite(which looks to be just a slightly larger balcony), or a 2-room suite which raises the price too much for us. The family suite was just right for us. I wish more of the ships offered them. Don't know if we can go back to a regular room after experiencing the perks of a suite. The kids were definitely spoiled.

Emsiam, Your room location will be just fine - I have every confidence in that.

Also, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE JOGGING TRACK! We have stayed in 12022 twice, which is under the jogging track. Yes, you do hear a jogger now and then, but as they are running, you might get three soft thumps as they jog over your room. It's not anything that bothered us AT ALL. And most of the time we never heard it anyway.

On top of that, there are hours that the joggers are not allowed to jog on the track. It is NOT going to keep you awake!

I think some people get obsessive about certain details that don't really amount to a hill of beans. These are FANTASTIC rooms, and even if there were some things that weren't perfect, I would put up with a lot just to have one of those suites on the Star again.

Relax about it and have a great time!

Emsiam, Your room location will be just fine - I have every confidence in that.

Also, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE JOGGING TRACK! We have stayed in 12022 twice, which is under the jogging track. Yes, you do hear a jogger now and then, but as they are running, you might get three soft thumps as they jog over your room. It's not anything that bothered us AT ALL. And most of the time we never heard it anyway.

On top of that, there are hours that the joggers are not allowed to jog on the track. It is NOT going to keep you awake!

I think some people get obsessive about certain details that don't really amount to a hill of beans. These are FANTASTIC rooms, and even if there were some things that weren't perfect, I would put up with a lot just to have one of those suites on the Star again.

Relax about it and have a great time!

Please be advised that 12022 is NOT directly under the jogging track as 12028/12528 are.

Please look at the Drag-It deck plan.

Please be advised that 12022 is NOT directly under the jogging track as 12028/12528 are.

Please look at the Drag-It deck plan.

We were in 12022 and that is under the front-most part of the jogging track.

We were in 12022 and that is under the front-most part of the jogging track.

I'm afraid you are mistaken. The jogging track on starboard side (when running toward bow) turns left above 12028 into the gap in middle - above the Meeting rooms 1 & 2 - and then left on to the port-side toward aft.

See my post #73 on this thread. I posted a photo of the gap. I also have read a post on another thread about 12528 not being a good cabin for this reason, 12028 is the exact the same but on the other side. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1583522&highlight=12028

The thumping noise you heard would be the reason cabin 12022 is directly below the base of the stairs (outdoors) leading up to Bier Garten. People go down the stairs and land on deck from bottom step - hence some gentle thud.

I thought the running track ended right above the elevators.

Either way, it's above so many cabins.

You just never know how many runners you will get each week.

And you never know which runners will remove the sign at 5 or 6 am

and go running. :eek:

I am just so happy we had 12506 two weeks ago. So quiet and peaceful.

Exactly what I paid for. :D

I thought the running track ended right above the elevators.

Either way, it's above so many cabins.

You just never know how many runners you will get each week.

And you never know which runners will remove the sign at 5 or 6 am

and go running. :eek:

I am just so happy we had 12506 two weeks ago. So quiet and peaceful.

Exactly what I paid for. :D

How was the view from 12506? Was your forward view blocked? 12006 just opened up for our cruise and looking at the floor plans it appears that the forward view is blocked buy a DOS. Thanks for any ifo.

How was the view from 12506? Was your forward view blocked? 12006 just opened up for our cruise and looking at the floor plans it appears that the forward view is blocked buy a DOS. Thanks for any ifo.

The view was fine. Of course the forward view is blocked since SJ is on the side. I could see the dining room table in the DOS. Between my far right window and the DOS is a window cleaning machine. Not a big deal.

I love that there is no cabin across from us.

What cabin do you have now?

The DOS on each side will in fact block you from looking directly forward. They are all glass on the back side of each DOS so they can look back down the side of the ship.

I don't think anyone can see in the SJ since when they were cleaning the windows I was flashing the men and got no reaction. lol j/k

I'm afraid you are mistaken. The jogging track on starboard side (when running toward bow) turns left above 12028 into the gap in middle - above the Meeting rooms 1 & 2 - and then left on to the port-side toward aft.

See my post #73 on this thread. I posted a photo of the gap. I also have read a post on another thread about 12528 not being a good cabin for this reason, 12028 is the exact the same but on the other side. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1583522&highlight=12028

The thumping noise you heard would be the reason cabin 12022 is directly below the base of the stairs (outdoors) leading up to Bier Garten. People go down the stairs and land on deck from bottom step - hence some gentle thud.

I'm not here to argue with you, but I think it's pretty gutsy of you to tell ME that I am mistaken about this. We have stayed in this suite twice and we know what we heard. We were also able to line up, while we were on the ship, where we were in relation to deck 13. Go ahead and believe the whole on-line click and drag deck plans if you want. I think first hand experience is better. But whatever you want to believe is up to you.

please help me out here in order to move my room number dont i have to basically rebook and then i will get charged the higher price now ? i know before we had 12030 booked and changed it to 12528 (sorry i said 12028) and i know that i lost my on board credit because of moving so what should i do ?

We were on the Star in April and moved our room many times to get where we wanted to be. As long as it is the same category you should not have to "re-book" and pay a higher price (ours had doubled from when we first booked) or loose any OBC. So if you want to move - just call and ask - that is if you booked directly with NCL. With a TA, I am not sure how they would work that.

we have decided not to move from 12528 we are just going to go and make our trip the best it can be and not let things bother us !!

Jan

We are booked in 12028 in November and I have been following this thread.

12028 is starboard and you cabin 12528 is port so we will have the same issues if it is truly a cabin from hell. Lol. I too have said I will give it our best effort. I have had the perfect cabin too many times that had neighbors banging the walls day and night, so jogging should be a piece of cake.

Sometimes we over think things.

We are booked in 12028 in November and I have been following this thread.

12028 is starboard and you cabin 12528 is port so we will have the same issues if it is truly a cabin from hell. Lol. I too have said I will give it our best effort. I have had the perfect cabin too many times that had neighbors banging the walls day and night, so jogging should be a piece of cake.

Sometimes we over think things.

our first cruise on the pearl i booked a cabin right at the elevators, everyone told us to move we did not and we did not hear a thing it was great !!

our second cruise we booked a aft on the dawn and it was great but what a long walk to everything!! i am just looking forward to not being at work so even if it is not the best trip it will be better then being at work and truthfully i think you make the trip what it is !!

Jan

In all my cruises I have never had bad neighbors. Thank God.

I would have to say that the best suites I've had were the 2 afts and 2 forwards. So what if we had to walk a long way?! So worth it.

Were there plug-ins on the end of the head boards in SJ family suite or should I take a longer extension cord to plug in my sleep machine next to the bed?:confused:

There were outlets at the headboard for the lamps (behind the end tables), but they were 2-pin Euro style outlets.

Archived