Sea Sickness

Jasper1999

For those of you who suffer from Sea Sickness, try a green apple. It works!

The ship has them in the Buffett line or ask your cabin Steward for one.

Good Luck and have many happy cruises.

Went on first cruise this past March. Hubby was very worried that HE would be the one with seasickness. The only time he had a problem was when the ship was gently rocking side to side a couple of evenings (6 foot waves maybe??). As long as he didn't look out the window he was fine. He did not take meds after about 2nd or 3rd day.

I would get something that contains Meclazine - generic or brand name doesn't matter. The morning we left driving to New Orleans, I had a terrible headache and nausea (took pain pill without eating). Happened to remember I had the seasick pills, took one and within 30 minutes I was completely fine. Saved my day. I took one each morning just for precautions. I only felt the ship move if I was sitting still but it wasn't bad. My worst problem was 2 or 3 days after getting OFF the ship. Had a hard time getting my equilibrium walking around in the house.

It's just something you will have to go through and determine for yourself. But take something with you just to be prepared. Better safe then sorry !! ;)

Just returned from Radiance Hawaii to Vancouver. Suffice it to say it was rough and they had the sea sick bags hanging on the railings for the entire 5 sea days. I use sea bands (can't use any meds no matter how desperate) and I took Gravol Ginger with me this time since there had been a NORO outbreak on the previous cruise. I put the sea bands on when we leave home before we board the flight, leave them on anytime we are on the ship, even wear them on land if we will be going from port to port overnight and if I am a little queezy I drink peppermint tea and take a couple of ginger tablets. Green apples, make sure they are granny smith which are plentiful on the ship for this reason, really do work, eat it very slowly, small bites and chew slowly. You should be able to keep it down and it will help immensely. Usually I can sit and watch the horizon or look out at the ocean and it helps, but it was so rough one morning it was making me feel worse. Popped 2 gravol ginger (any ginger is fine), ate a green apple and within minutes I was completely fine. Others were not and suffered a great deal using some of the other meds. A lot of our group used ginger and were all fine. By the way green apples work on bad hangovers as well...not that I would know of course:eek::rolleyes:

The bottom line for a first cruise is to take what you think will help. Keep in mind that gingerale is always available but without a soda card you will pay for it on the ship and what you get from the fountain may be watered down. If you go to the buffet restaurant (WJ on RCI), the dining room if it is open, or call room service and ask for a green apple, they will usually ask if you would like it cut up. They know exactly why you are eating it. I ate more green apples on this cruise than on any other cruise we have been on and this one was 5 sea days across the Pacific.

Good luck!!! Just go prepared and keep focusing on the solution and not the problem and you will be fine.

For those who suffer the effects when they return home, sea bands can eliminate it. I wear mine for about a week or longer till the feeling is gone. As long as I leave them on I'm fine, no sickness and no motion. As soon as I notice I can't feel anything when I take them off, then I take them off, wash them and they are ready for the next cruise.

Dee

In our group of 5, only 1 got seasick. There were a couple of times (especially walking down really long hallways) that the movement caught up with me, but I never felt sick or anything. The one that did took the motion sickness medicine but it didn't work. She ended up getting these bracelets that were recommended in the shop onboard. Something about a pressure point? I don't know exactly but she wore them whole trip and they worked like magic.

We were on Allure, so size might matter some, but not all the time! We were told that we saw pretty rough water a few nights.

I'm a big fan of the scopolamine patch and have never had a problem with side effects. Even though it's indicated to work for only 72 hours for me it works for at least a week. Like any medication it has side effects and contraindications but the patch (transdermal route) has fewer side effects than the injectable or oral routes.

IMHO it's worth chatting with your doctor about getting a prescription...in the U.S., it is prescription only. Not sure about other countries.

I've been on three cruises, the only one that I was ever truly sea sick on was my latest one--we hit hurricane force winds and very rough seas on the first night, it was terrible. On the other ones I was slightly queasy on the first night as we were crossing the Gulf Stream, but nothing major.

In our group of 5, only 1 got seasick. There were a couple of times (especially walking down really long hallways) that the movement caught up with me, but I never felt sick or anything. The one that did took the motion sickness medicine but it didn't work. She ended up getting these bracelets that were recommended in the shop onboard. Something about a pressure point? I don't know exactly but she wore them whole trip and they worked like magic.

We were on Allure, so size might matter some, but not all the time! We were told that we saw pretty rough water a few nights.

Those are the sea bands. There are now fancier versions, they all work the same way. They use accupressure on the tendons in your wrists to send a signal to your brain, similar to accupuncture, but without the needles. They work for many including me. If it is really rough though, it is a good idea to have a back up like ginger. You can buy ginger caps at any pharmacy, or wal mart, or just use the Gravol ginger which works well.

Dee

Best advice would be to ask your personal physician. One sister had no problems with the patches, two of us had side effects. ( one with serious complications).

I now take a Bonine chewable before getting on the ship, and one every morning there after. NO seasickness and NO after effects after getting off the ship. I take it for two days after I get off.

An old sailor once told me to eat bread and salami when I was seasick. Made me puke and I felt better!!! I don't think that is what he had in mind, however.

My suggestion is to buy a pack of Bonine, which is like Dramamine but doesn't cause drowsiness. I took a half-pill every morning of both of our 7-day cruises and was fine (except one particularly rough night, when I had to take a second pill), and I am hugely prone to motion sickness. You can also take ginger pills every day on top of the Bonine.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this...I have been searching for something that doesn't cause drowsiness. Going on my first cruise in June and didn't want to be a zombie...

In my experience (limited to one cruise), I had no issues. We even had a cabin near the front. I am very prone to car sickness, get quesy on turbulent plane rides and can only rarely handle carnival rides. The only thing I did on the ship was taking Ginger (started a couple of days before the cruise). I had wrist-bands and non-drowsy dramamine with me, and never had to touch them.

Our seas were pretty calm, it seemed to me...but there was one day it got a little crazy for a few hours...still had no problems. Just seems like a very different motion than taking hairpin turns going down a mountain in a car.

I am a total wreck about the seasickness. I cruised a lot when I was younger, before stabilizers, and out of NYC. I get carsick, can't ride motion=y rides (Mission Space at Disney, even the mild version - no way!), get sick on kid's rollercoasters. I do not get airsick, thankfully! We are somewhat forward on the Allure coming up, but have a balcony. I have Bonine, Dramamine, ginger gum, crystallized ginger and seabands. I just can't risk this - I keep reading these boards to make sure, short of the patch, that I have everything covered. We are SO looking forward to this and I am the only one in my family who has motion sickness - and I have been the one doing ALL the planning.

Have I missed anything (other than packing a bushel of green apples lol)?

I have been on 9 cruises. I always have my doctor prescribe me the "patch". You place one behind your ear. They are effective for 3 days. Be careful not to wash them off accidentally in the shower. The only side effects we have is a little dry mouth. We have never gotten sick on any of our cruises. We really don't want to take the chance to find out if we would!! LOL.

I have seen some folks get sick, but actually not many at all. My mom got a little queasy one day at sea. One of the waiters offered her a green apple...and it worked! I would just be prepared just in case. Medicines on the ship can get very pricy. I once pain 11.00 for a small bottle of Visine! Good luck to you!

SHARON

I got sea sick instantly. It was embarrassing. The ship left at 4p and I couldn't even make it through dinner. We had early dining at 6p. I picked at my starter which was fruit. Then the entree was placed in front of me and I told DH I have to go now. I darn near ran out the MDR. While speaking to more seasoned cruisers, we were told the ship was rocking really bad. Maybe that's what happened to me. I just felt so bad for messing up the first night of the cruise. :o

I took some bonine an hour before we left, but didn't work. The rest of the cruise I was fine. It only happened the first day.

During my second cruise I was so nervous. While everyone else was excited for sail-away, to me it was more like counting down to dooms hours. When the horn blew I said a prayer and sat down. The ship began to move and I prayed some more. I took the girls to sign up for the O2 club, then we went for sushi, then we went to listen to music. I looked up and it was after 7p and I was A-OK. Nothing happened the entire cruise.

My next cruise is in two weeks and I'll be praying again LOL:o

For what its worth, even if you get seasick it might not last too long. I am 3 for 3 in getting seasick on cruises, with the first time being the worst. I got some seasick pills from the dispenser in the infirmary and just waited it out.

Between all three cruises I have tried the behind the ear patches (I like these best as they do not make you sleepy), the liquids and wristbands. I did not seem to get AS seasick with any of them. I am a very light drinker (2-3 drinks a year) but a drink also seems to help.

For me, it is mostly nausea that passes within a few hours, then you're good to go. Well worth it! Have fun!

The meds always seem to make me queasy, even before I get on the ship, which is why I prefer the patches and wristbands. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the patch, but any doctor will know and they are pretty inexpensive.

Happy Sailing - I'm still trying to decide on my next cruise...

What is the name of the patch that goes behind your ear? Does any one happen to know?

Thank you

Tracy

It is called scopolamine patch the Brand name is Transderm Scop. I have used it on both of my cruises and will use it again on my upcoming cruise. We had such rough seas on the Disney Wonder that the Captain actually stayed in port in the Bahamas over night. The Allure of the Seas was not permitted to come into port.

I did have some side effects but they were not as bad as almost passing out on a flight from motion sickness. My side effects include dry mouth - but the drink of the day fixes that no problem. The other effect was blurred vision. I didn't notice it until the first full day on the cruise when I went to go read something that was fine print. It seemed to go away. For me and cruising the patch is the way to go. Also what work best for me was keeping the patch on for mutiple days after the cruise and flight.

Missy

It is a lot of mind over matter. I didn't reread but looking toward the horizon or land help somewhat as well. Bring some ginger as well! Many times after a cruise I find myself feeling like I'm still aboard. I found the times I did get seasick were 1st day. Once you're used to the motion you should be fine. Have a great trip!

So NOT mind over matter!! I've been prone to severe motion sickness every since I was a child. I can't read in a rocking chair! I'm cruising for the second time in June. Last time (many, many years ago), I used the patch. Trying to decide between meclazine (generic Bonine) or the patch this time. My kids get it too, but to a lesser extent than I do. Leaning toward the patch just to be sure.

• 1 month later...

my dad was a navy man for over a decade - standard navy cure? green apples and saltines!

I must have inherited his sea-legs though - numerous dependents cruises and a commercial cruise, several ROUGH ferry rides in the Pacific Northwest and never had a problem <knocking on wood>

I have pretty severe motion sickness so after a little bit of trial and error, here is what works for me. I pick up a bottle of Meclizine, which is the key ingredient in Bonine. I start taking it twice a day two days prior to sailing. This way, it's in my system before we leave, which was something I learned the hard way on our very first cruise. Remember to eat! You need to have food in your stomach and I always feel better when I'm in fresh air - even when the weather isn't great. It's good to be able to see the horizon and the air moving around seems to help.

Finally, try not to go with the attitude that you're going to get sick. Prep ahead of time and then enjoy your cruise!

I know the patches require a prescription (hubby uses those) but does the other stuff mentioned require a prescription as well? This will be my first cruise so I don't know whether or not I will be sick but want to be prepared just in case. Really not wanting to make a trip to the dr if I can help it ;)