Sushi

blum74

I've heard you can get sushi at Vines. How is it? My daughter could survive on eating cucumber rolls all week. Can we order them for her for dinner in the MDR?

Sushi is only available if you purchase a beverage . I not sure but you can't get Sushi in the MDR.:confused:

We also found that the sushi assortment was a plate with 4 pieces of sushi - I think most pieces were sashimi even. You were not allowed to choose which sushi you wanted to order, you just got the daily assortment with a beverage purchase at Vines. We didn't bother doing this because the sushi never looked that appealing to us.

Sushi on Princess is more like an afterthought.

Well discribed...

The Sushi in Vines on the ships that have Vines is decent, however IMO all the served in the HC as said above is a "afterthought", and hit or miss at best

Again IMO, and opinions vary

Srpilo

Well discribed...

The Sushi in Vines on the ships that have Vines is decent, however IMO all the served in the HC as said above is a "afterthought", and hit or miss at best

Again IMO, and opinions vary

Srpilo

Exactly...Princess does many things consistently well. Sushi isn't one of them but I can live with that.

We found the Sushi very good in the buffet.

Really? Which ship were you on? Every time I try HC sushi, the selection is minimal, boring, and resembles the stuff that comes in plastic boxes at the 7-11. Only not as good.

Course, I live in San Francisco, so maybe I'm spoiled.

I've heard you can get sushi at Vines. How is it? My daughter could survive on eating cucumber rolls all week. Can we order them for her for dinner in the MDR?

Others have said sushi can be hit and miss but I can't imagine anyone screwing up Cucumber Maki. I've had wait staff bring me items not on the menu many times. I make sure I reward them afterwards.:)

This one would surprise me, only because the sushi chef operates of out a separate kitchen area as far as I know (I think they work out of the room service area)

Others have said sushi can be hit and miss but I can't imagine anyone screwing up Cucumber Maki. I've had wait staff bring me items not on the menu many times. I make sure I reward them afterwards.:)

No sushi in the MDR but sometimes they have really bad sushi in the buffet.

I have had the sushi at Vines and liked it. What makes it bad sushi? I am not a sushi expert and would like to know what to look for.

I had sushi in Vines on the Ruby Princess and it was excellent. The offerings included several varieties of sashimi, nori roll and two kinds of seaweed salad, pickled ginger and wasabi.

We agree with Carolyn R...the sushi/sashimi on the Ruby was excellent. We are not experts by any means but absolutely love sushi and sashimi. The quality can differ from ship to ship (restaurant to restaurant, city to city, country to country)...perhaps ultimately, it all boils down to the "quality" of the sushi chef and the fish. We've had bad sushi in Japan and excellent sushi in Singapore.

To answer the OP directly...she'll enjoy the sushi! Note: Get to know the sushi chef (behind the bar...you can see him preparing the food) and tip well...you'll be amazed. Your favorite plate will be there waiting for you everyday.

Mrs. Turbo will probably throw me overboard for revealing that she ate the Princess-logo shaped and decorated sushi centerpiece off the buffet a while ago :eek:... Did not taste any better than the rest of the pieces, unfortunately.

The Vines place was emptier than empty last time we cruised, so we did not try the sushi there.

This one would surprise me, only because the sushi chef operates of out a separate kitchen area as far as I know (I think they work out of the room service area)

In Vines the sushi chef is behind the bar and makes the sushi while you watch. :)

• 3 months later...

REgarding Vines -

So on the Crown when is sushi available? Tapas? Is it there for lunch through dinner?

Also I read on one review that you can order a bottle of wine and they will keep it for you?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to do a lite lunch there a couple of days, Thanks.

Hello Happy Cruzer,

I expect you will get lots of posts with differences, but IME...

DH and I love sushi and sashimi and we also love Vines because we are wine drinkers and light eaters. We often eat dinner at Vines supplemented by the sandwiches and seafood salad at IC (lunch would be the same). Just walk over to the counter at IC and bring it back.

The "rule" is that you must order a beverage from Vines (we have never tried ordering soda so I don't know if this counts, but even though they have to go to IC to get bar drinks I think this counts)

With the beverage order you may have tapas and/or sushi. Both the tapas and the sushi (read California rolls not sashimi) are what they are serving that day, you don't get a choice other than among the three being served, but generally they always have seaweed salad. They also have a cheese plate for an extra charge.

The quality varies by ship. We have had good to poor.

DH and I practically "live" at Vines on each cruise. They have the higher end wine list, they will keep the bottle for you if you do not finish. They also have Reidel wine glasses (which they want to keep).

Archived