Singapore Hotels and Transportation to Cruise Terminal

Keith1010

My wife and I have never been to Singapore and had a few questions.

Does anyone have any Hotel recommendations? We would like to stay at a nice hotel in Singapore?

In terms of transportation, how far is it from the Hotels to the Cruise Ship Terminal?

Thank you so very much.

Keith

Keith--

The cruise ship terminal is at the World Trade Center (WTC). It is 15-20 minutes to downtown (use the Raffles Hotel as point of reference for downtown). No hotels near the WTC. There are taxis from the the WTC to anywhere in Singapore, probably about US$10 to downtown. Whether arriving by cruise ship or airline, change some money at bank in WTC or airport before going into town as not all cabs take U.S. dollars and are metered in S$.

Hotel suggestion. There are a number of fine hotels in Singapore (I like the Marina Mandarin personally). My personal favorite, especially if this is the first time in Singapore, is to splurge on the Raffles Hotel itself. Gorgeous (!!) colonial hotel, but thoroughly renovated about 10 years ago.

If you are interested in things to do and see, please feel free to post again. Singapore is a delightful place and I will be very glad to share my thoughts and ideas. In any event, I know that you will enjoy Singapore.

A J Theodore, thank you so very much for your suggestions/answers.

Also, about how long a ride would you say it is from the airport to Raffles Hotel?

Yes, I would be most interested in your thoughts about things to do. We will likely have about three days in Singapore before cruising so appreciate your thoughts on things to do along with any suggestions in terms of restaurants.

Thank you very much.

Keith

Keith--

Here are some of my favorites in Singapore:

1. My favorite, hands down, is breakfast with the orangutans at the Singapore Zoo (9:00 am). This is not always available so check the Singapore Zoo website. You literally get to eat breakfast with orangutans. An experience like no other. Take lots of film. Sometimes, there is tea (4:00pm) with other animals. Check the website. The zoo is one of the best in the world and well worth the visit in its own right with lots of activities during the day. By the way, the food isn't bad at the breakfast.

2. Night Safari. Out by the zoo, after sunset. You get to see nocturnal animals. Again, a pretty unique experience and well worth it.

3. Orchid garden. This is the greatest collection in the world and is the other do-not-miss experience in my opinion. It is set inside the botanical gardens, which is itself worth seeing. There is a very good gift shop (name is Risis) at the orchid garden as well, but prices are no real bargains. Some of the gold work by Risis is exquisite.

4. The Raffles Hotel itself, downtown. Fully refurbished. One of the great colonial hotels in the world. Check out the shops, including the gourmet shop which has very nice chocolates. At least have a drink at the Long Bar, where the Singapore Sling was invented, and pretend that Sommerset Maughm (sp?) or Rudyard Kipling are there drinking with you. Also, Ah Teng's Bakery which, notwithstanding the name, it has wonderful dim sum and makes for a great breakfast/brunch. Raffles has very good and reliable antiques stores (expensive) and very good art galleries (again expensive). One of the greatest tea shops in the world and a delightful teddy bear shop (incongruously named Sasha's) are located along Seah St., one of the streets next to the Hotel. The Chinese Restaurant is excellent.

5. Little India. Just what the name implies. Wander around, it's not that large. Look for and try any restaurant where you are the only non-Indian faces - you will be well-rewarded in terms of food and service and warmth. Also, there is a fascinating Hindu Temple in Chinatown. Take lots of film.

6. Chinatown itself. Lots and lots of fun, all kinds of shops and a fascinating street atmosphere. While I don't remember the name, there is a very good barbecue (yes, barbecue) place in Chinatown - we always get some barbecue to take on the ship and we use it for snacks and for breakfast.

7. Shopping along Orchard Road. Shopping is THE Singapore activity. If it were an Olympic Sport, Singapore would have no competition. Orchard Road has all of the high end shops. Great people watching too. Make sure to check out a couple of the shopping malls (my favorite is Bugis Plaza which is not along Orchard but a couple of blocks north of Raffles). Try to go when they are full of people - Friday and Saturday evenings are the best. It is quite a site / scene. The young ladies make an art form of the use of cell phones while mall-crawlin although, like almost everyone in Singapore, they are polite to a fault. Most shopping malls have food courts that are quite respectable, although the signs are usually in Chinese and you have to point and hope that someone at one of the food stalls speaks some English. Whether or not you eat there, they are quite an experience.

8. Street food, particularly at the "hawker centers." Check out the newest issue of Gourmet which mentions a couple of very good places for street food. In fact, food anywhere (usuing your usual cautions) is quite good here. Newton Crossing Hawker Center is very tourist friendly. There used to be an outdoor food court set up a few blocks from Raffles toward the WTC on some evenings; try to find out if this is still being done as it was a lot of fun with very good food and no language problems.

9. The Museums. They are all located fairly close to the Raffles and Orchard Ave. The National Museum is quite good. My favorite is the Museum of Asian Culture (I think that's the name) which has some exceptional rotating exhibits.

10. Sentosa Island. Kind of an amusement park on the south side of Singapore. Accessible via an aerial tram from very near the WTC. Nice restaurants, but it can ber quite crowded, especially on weekends. It has tram service to get around.

11. Restaurants. Other than as noted above, I like the Alcaff Mansion (that is probably not the correct spelling), with both Western and Asian menus and the Chinese restaurant at the Marina Mandarin. Food in Singapore is truly asian fusion, well before the term became popular in the US. There is a unique cuisine derived from Chinese and Malay that developed in Singapore called "nonya" or "peranakan" or "Straits Chinese." But as of a year ago, I could not find a restaurant that served that style. In any event, you can finds all kinds of cuisine in Singapore and at all price ranges - from Mexican to McDonalds included.

12. Arab Street. A couple of blocks of stores that feel a bit like a bazaar for Arabic (and, to some extent, Indonesian) style articles, including some nice textiles. Again, no real bargains here and I would visit just for the atmosphere. I would not make Arab St. my highest priority.

13. Straits Times. Excellent newspaper and great source of information.

Note that it is possible to get up to Malaysia or over to Indonesia for a day while you are in Singapore. Unfortunately, there is little of interest in either close-in Indonesia or Malaysia.

Getting around - wonderful subway system if you are going point-to-point. Cabs are fairly easy and convenient to get (most drivers speak some English or arrange through a hotel concierge, see below).

I would suggest getting a private car and driver for your touring. You should be able to get a good one for Singapore$35.00 hour (about US$22-25 today) through the concierge desks at any good hotel. With one exception, I have always used Raffles for this; they have excellent, knowledgeable drivers available (talk to Sam at the Concierge Desk). Send an e-mail to the Raffles hotel for the concierge desk and you should set up a car/driver well in advance; don't wait until you get there.

To and from the airport. There are airport limousines (really white-colored cabs). They cost S$35 (as of a year ago) from the airport into downtown (fixed price). About 20-40 minutes, depending on time of day. If you are just coming in on a late evening flight from the US, this is the only way to go.

Final thought. Singapore is in general quite efficient and you will find the people to be both friendly and honest. (Just be wary of very strict law enforcement while in Singapore.) While a lot of people find it kind of a sterile place, I find it one of the most fascinating places I know.

I hope that you enjoy Singapre as much as I do.

AJ

We haven't stayed in Singapore but we stopped there on our cruise last year. They docked at the Singaore Cruise Center. This is right next to Mt. Faber and it is VERY easy to walk to the Harbourfront MRT. If your hotel is at all near the MRT this is a cheap and viable transportation option.

My wife and I have never been to Singapore and had a few questions.Does anyone have any Hotel recommendations? We would like to stay at a nice hotel in Singapore?In terms of transportation, how far is it from the Hotels to the Cruise Ship Terminal?Thank you so very much.

Keith

This is what one of the people on our roll call had to say after just returning from Singapore. (He hasn't posted on this board so I'll pass his information on to you.) Raffles if money is no object.

He stayed at the Hilton in an executive floor room and was not impressed compared to the likes of the Ritz Carlton, Oriental et al.

He looked at the Oriental and said they have just completed a multi-million dollar refurb. and it looks great. He had dinner in the Cherry Garden, and it was great but a little pricey.

He said the Shangri La is a good chain, its not in a fantastic position, but taxis are SOOO cheap. ( took a 25 min cab ride for less than $12 Singapore dollars, about 4 pounds, 10 AUD or 8 USD).

The best for position might be the Four Seasons, close to Orchard road, it backs onto the Hilton, quite nice, but no Oriental or Ritz Carlton.

He recommends if you do stay in a hotel, get executive lounge access, its worth the additional $50 singapore a night ish, as you get nicer rooms, concierge, evening drinks and canapes, along with soft drinks and coffee etc during the day.

FYI They are building a new cruise ship terminal which should be completed this year.

• 5 weeks later...

Singapore is a most amazing place. Everything works the way supposed to!!! We usually stay at Marriet on Orchid Road. Walking distance to the Newton Hawkers Center - not to be missed. It's known for seafood. Go there for supper. Subway system is extensive and easy to use, and most everything is within walking distance of a subway station. By the way the Singapore airport is quite impressive also, nothing like airports in US or Europe. It's big, clean and user friendly, more like a well-run shopping mall. So as the cruise center.

• 1 month later...

One of the things not mentioned above is dinner at one of the restaurants at Clarke Quay, and time spent wandering around the shops there. It's full of atmosphere and one of my favourite places to visit when I'm in Singapore.

I love the Pink Elephant Bar at Clarke Quay too - sit outdoors with a pitcher of beer and listen to the music a nice place to chill after dinner.

Note that Boat Quay and Clarke Quay only really come alive at night-time. Most places there shut during the day.

I also love afternoon tea at the Raffles Hotel.... (It's more a whole meal than afternoon tea!)

• 2 weeks later...

AJ, I was hoping that you could answer one more question for me about Hotels in Singapore.

We are going to be staying in Singapore for on both ends of a R/T Singapore Cruise. We are going to stay at Raffles when we disembark the cruise ship as we thought this would be a wonderful way to end our trip following the cruise.

For embarkation, some friends of us who will only be staying in Singapore for embarkation are considering the Four Seasons. Do you have any thoughts on the Singapore Four Seasons and also any thoughts on the Singapore Ritz Carlton.

One other question. Have you cruised into Indonesia? If you have I want to ask you a followup question about Indonesia.

Thank you very much.

Keith

Keith--

I'm very sorry but this time I can't be of much help. I have heard that both of the hotels you mention are good and they are strong brands with good reputations and Singapore is quite conscious of this. I would expect them to both be very good but, unfortunately, but I have no experience with either of them. I guess I would just have to recommend that you check a couple of the recent guide books and make your decision based on that, on the location, etc.

Also, the only cruising I have done to Indonesia involves taking the Penguin line (great name for a tropical line) of smallish boats over to Sumatra from Singapore - day trip sort of thing and I would not waste my time doing it as you land in a very chaotic port. I am told that the same is true of Jakarta - big, brash, noisy, etc. If, however, you are going to Bali, then the trip is really worth the time and I will be glad to provide what I can.

AJ

AJ, thanks for your additional comments on this. I will read through a couple of the guidebooks as you have suggested as we narrow down our hotel plans. The good news is that there seem to be a number of very nice places to stay there.

Thanks again for your help. I may come back with a few other questions about Singapore in the next couple of months.

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith

I haven't stayed at either the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton but a friend of my Mom's stayed at the Four Seasons last year and really loved it. We also did a tour on the river and the tour guide pointed out the windows of the Ritz Carlton (which he said was the only 6 star hotel in Singapore) which are octagonal in shape, supposedly for good luck/riches. The guide said that the octagonal windows are located in the shower - if I understood him correctly you stand in front of those windows while taking a shower. Should be interesting. I really have no way of verifying this though.

When I went last year I stayed at the Conrad which I can recommend. It's located in Suntec City, which the mall, restaurants and covention center all nearby. The subway though was quite a walk via footbridges, underpasses and 2 shopping malls. There is a bus stop right outside the convention center though.

Singapore is great. I'm sure wherever you stay you'll have a great time.

Hi Debbie (DFB) --

I will try to check on the specifics a little later (names and places, etc.) as I do not have them with me right now. I am assuming that you are not planning a day at the beach. If you can get away from the touristy area in and around Padang Bay and if you have an interest in non-beach activities, you will find Bali to be fascinating.

My immediate recommendation is to find a way to hire and car and very good driver/guide for the day (unless, that is, you want to stay on the beaches) and get out of town. The options are (1) You can do this through cruise ships themselves which will have arrangements with local operators (though cruise ships add a significant markup), (2) you can do this by looking for websites that put you in touch with tour and/or limousine services, or (3) you can use a US based travel agency. For the latter, Abercrombie and Kent is good at this and the prices for Bali (while about double what you can do on your own ) are still reasonable and they have access to very good local guides. Also, check the Bali or Indonesian tourist offices and websites as they may have links and information. The critical thing for Bali if you want to use your time well is to find a good guide.

As to what to do, that is relatively easy. I recommend that you try to stay off the beaten tourist path: (1) The best temples and shrines, especially if you can find festivals or some other program going on. Bali is a Hindu province, unlike the rest of Indonesia which is Muslim. There are beautiful temples and shrines to be visited (not just the most magnificent ones, but some of the very small, intimate ones as well). For this, you want a very knowledgeable guide because the placement of temples, their structure, alignment, content, etc., all have meaning. (2) Non-touristy restaurants. The food is incredible and there are places that are safe for Westerners but which are not frequented by tourists (including some run by ex-patriot Americans, French, and British at small resorts). (3) Crafts. There are spectacular wood carvers (you may have seen Balinese masks), silk makers, etc. While I recall that there are a couple of shops in Padang Bay, the best can usually be found at better prices and at the homes/workshops of the artisans. Those are also the places that you will find the things that are not made specifically for the mass-tourist market. (4) Music. If there is a chance to hear a Balinese Gamilan Orchestra program (preferably with dancing), it can be a real treat although the music will seem discordant to Western ears. Balinese dance is marvelous, delicate, emotive, etc. (5) Markets. The variety of food and crafts is stunning.

As to resources to help you plan, I would recommend the Insight Guide as a first stop. There are excellent, short chapters on history, culture, religion, cuisine, etc., that will give you a real preparation for visiting Bali. I just don't think that Fodor's or Frommer's measure up - while they have excellent suggestions onwhat to see and do, where to stay and eat, etc., their cultural background material is not nearly as good.

I will try to post more if I can find the rest of the information (ie, names and specific places).

Hope that this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed 7 nights in Singapore for a vacation this past April. We stayed at Raffles the Plaza, across the street from and managed by Raffles. We upgraded to the executive floor which was worth it for the daily cocktails and gourmet appetizers. Book on asiarooms.com for a huge discount. Plus you can use the health club at no extra charge and you get the most amazing buffet breakfast full of Asian food as well as the usual. breakfast was enough to keep us going till dinner. Nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. It's right on top of the City Hall MRT stop-you don't even have to go outside to get to it. Riding the subways costs .25. You buy a card and load it with money, then wave it over the turnstile as you board. When you get ready to leave the country you turn in the card and they refund the balance. No other country does that! Eating at the local foodstalls is a must, mingling with the locals and getting greta satay for $1.00. We liked Singapore so much we are considering moving there when we retire.

• 5 years later...

Singapore is a wonderful City for a pre/post cruise stay. We stayed at the Fairmont which was opposite Raffles Hotel. A great location.

re Cruise Terminal.

Which ship are you sailing on?

Do you know where it will dock?

Most ships will dock at the WTC cruise terminal, but some are too big to get in there and have to dock at the container port.

If your ship docks there, you will have a check in facility in the City and be taken to the ship by bus.

I believe a new Cruise terminal and dock is on the way, but it is still under construction

You answered all my questions - bar none.

You folks make this WEBSITE great.

Best wishes

SWK

A word of caution, most of the above messages are from 2005. Singapore is a very dynamic and ever changing city. A lot of new attractions have been added since then. CHeck out Trioadvisor.com for the altest information.

Ron

I believe a new Cruise terminal and dock is on the way, but it is still under construction

Correct, it is due to open at the end of 2011, being situated at Marina South.

Ron

PS. Keep up the good work on the most enjoyable Princess Dawn World Cruise thread.:D

Singapore is a wonderful City for a pre/post cruise stay. We stayed at the Fairmont which was opposite Raffles Hotel. A great location.

re Cruise Terminal.

Which ship are you sailing on?

Do you know where it will dock?

Most ships will dock at the WTC cruise terminal, but some are too big to get in there and have to dock at the container port.

If your ship docks there, you will have a check in facility in the City and be taken to the ship by bus.

Would you happen to know where the new terminal will be in relationship to the WTC. We've been to Singapore multiple times and as recently as this past March and enjoy the WTC given that we can easily take the subway from there. We'll be there again next year. Of course we could end up at the WTC but was curious about the location of the new cruise ship terminal.

Keith

Would you happen to know where the new terminal will be in relationship to the WTC. We've been to Singapore multiple times and as recently as this past March and enjoy the WTC given that we can easily take the subway from there. We'll be there again next year. Of course we could end up at the WTC but was curious about the location of the new cruise ship terminal.

Keith

The new cruise terminal will be located on the same little peninsula as the Marina Bay Sands Hotel and is due south of it by the Marina South Pier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Cruise_Terminal

Archived