Denali Natural History Tour

3KidsTravel

First, let me say that I have read this Board extensively (great advice and input) so know that this is not the recommended tour and everyone discourages against it. However, for travel and personal reasons, this is the only tour we can do. So, I was hoping that someone can tell me what you do on the tour, i.e stops etc., and whether we should do it at all or just skip it. Would we be better off taking the "school bus" for the five hours?

What are your arrival and departure times from the Park?

Obviously the more time you spend INSIDE the park, the more opportunity you have to see wildlife.

The shortest shuttle is to Toklat, 6 1/2 hrs to Mile 53, for $26. If you have time for this, I would certainly do it over the NHT. Basically, it's about 3hrs to Toklat, a 30 minute break , then 3 hrs back

Info on the shuttle, and a map are on the reservation web site: http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

The NHT goes to Mile 17, 4 1/2 hrs.

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/denali-natural-history.aspx

Both types of buses stop every 90 minutes at a rest stop for 10-15 minutes, and for any wildlife sightings.

(If you don't have time for Toklat and you can get a refund on the NHT, you could also consider the free courtesy bus to Savage River at Mile 15, 2 hr RT.)

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/courtesy-shuttle-buses.htm

If you are content with the Natural History Tour, you can replicate the tour on your own. Either you can drive the first 15 miles of the road and stop at the Savage Cabin (interpretive trail) or you can take the free shuttle to Savage River, getting off at the cabin then catching another bus or walking further if desired.

The film that they show on the NHT can be viewed by anyone for free at the WAC.

So if you don't take the Toklat shuttle, cancel the NHT and just replicate it yourself for free!

If you are content with the Natural History Tour, you can replicate the tour on your own. Either you can drive the first 15 miles of the road and stop at the Savage Cabin (interpretive trail) or you can take the free shuttle to Savage River, getting off at the cabin then catching another bus or walking further if desired.

The film that they show on the NHT can be viewed by anyone for free at the WAC.

So if you don't take the Toklat shuttle, cancel the NHT and just replicate it yourself for free!

Keep in mind this will only work if the OP has a car... I'm guessing that if they're arriving with a cruise tour (why they have such a short amount of time in the park) they will not have a car. Trying to do one of the shuttles may be your best bet. How are you getting to Denali OP?

You are correct - cruise tour. I like both the options all of you have outlined. If I understand correctly, I will need to book the Toklat shuttle ahead of time if that is the route we end up taking. I assume we just get in line for the Savage River shuttle?

Keep in mind this will only work if the OP has a car... I'm guessing that if they're arriving with a cruise tour (why they have such a short amount of time in the park) they will not have a car. Trying to do one of the shuttles may be your best bet. How are you getting to Denali OP?

Why would my plan only work with a car? The free Savage shuttle runs every hour or so. They can hop on that at the WAC, get off at the Savage Cabin, hop another Savage shuttle to the bridge, either stay on that one to return or once at Savage, any shuttle bus coming out of the park will pick them up. No ticket required for eastbound buses. But the Toklat shuttle is much preferred over just going to Savage.

You are correct - cruise tour. I like both the options all of you have outlined. If I understand correctly, I will need to book the Toklat shuttle ahead of time if that is the route we end up taking. I assume we just get in line for the Savage River shuttle?

Yes, Savage shuttle is on a "space available" basis but I have never seen it even close to being full. Definitely book the Toklat shuttle in advance.

If you are content with the Natural History Tour, you can replicate the tour on your own. Either you can drive the first 15 miles of the road

the "you can drive" part is what I was talking about. "You can drive" usually means having a personal vehicle. Yes of course you can replicate it using the shuttle and what not. But there are no rental cars up there to rent for a day to drive....and if my memory serves me right, personal vehicles aren't even allowed in the park until later on in the fall.

the "you can drive" part is what I was talking about. "You can drive" usually means having a personal vehicle. Yes of course you can replicate it using the shuttle and what not. But there are no rental cars up there to rent for a day to drive....and if my memory serves me right, personal vehicles aren't even allowed in the park until later on in the fall.

I guess you missed the other half of my post:

Either you can drive the first 15 miles of the road and stop at the Savage Cabin (interpretive trail) or you can take the free shuttle to Savage River, getting off at the cabin then catching another bus or walking further if desired.

I guess you missed the other half of my post:

Except it was not an "or" situation. The OP does not have a car and can not rent a car. And even if they did have a car the only time you can drive down the road is during the 4 day road lottery in September. I'm guessing the OP was not going in mid September and planning on this. Just saying, driving was never an option and I don't want the OP to be confused. Taking the shuttle is a great idea as I acknowledged in my previous post. Good luck with your trip 3kidstravel!

The OP does not have a car and can not rent a car. And even if they did have a car the only time you can drive down the road is during the 4 day road lottery in September.

anyone can drive a car to Savage River at Mile 15 anytime during the summer season. That's where the turnaround and checkpoint are. A lot of people do this in the evening after riding the shuttle ... a last opportunity to spot wildlife at dusk.

My apologies, I appear to have been misinformed. I hope I did not confuse anyone....I will delete my posts.

Easy mistake to make :) People know that they must take a bus into the Denali so it's a natural assumption that the entire length of the road is closed.

anyone can drive a car to Savage River at Mile 15 anytime during the summer season. That's where the turnaround and checkpoint are. A lot of people do this in the evening after riding the shuttle ... a last opportunity to spot wildlife at dusk.

Thanks mapleleaves. I thought I was losing my mind:). Also, for the interest of others reading this thread, it is possible to rent a car in the Denali area if they arrive by train or bus.

The Natural history Tour isn't awful, it just isn't the tour that will afford you the best chance at seeing wildlife (except rabbits and birds). It depends on the age of the kids you are traveling with and their interests. The presenters and tour guide give interesting talks especially if you are into history and plants. If you are into animals take the "schoolbus" or rent a car. If there is time the dogsled kennel is fun to visit.

Thanks mapleleaves. I thought I was losing my mind:). Also, for the interest of others reading this thread, it is possible to rent a car in the Denali area if they arrive by train or bus.

Do you have the name of the car rental in near Denali?

Archived