What's at the top of your "do not forget" list?

kfrost72

In addition to passports, tickets, booking records and medications, I add a spare pair of spectacles, my patent sewing kit packed into a recycled spectacle case, my swimming costume and our portable backgammon set for lazy sea days around the pool.

Colleen

Love it that someone said this - I defintely always take our portable games too:) I never even put it on the packing list - it`s just a given - the dominos are a must:) backgammon usually gets thrown in:) They are in a special mesh bag so they just get packed - always - not even on the packing list:eek:

I always email my spreadsheet containing credit card nos; phone no to customer service; account nos and expiration dates; website and login info.

I put a copy of the picture/info pages of my passport, along with my itinerary and home address and a neighbor's phone, in each suitcase. One never knows where a suitcase will end up. I do this for the return trip as well.

And I NEVER go on a cruise without jigsaw puzzles. I leave them on the ship when I disembark....

For Alaska and other cool/cold destinations, stop by a sporting goods shop and pick up a skiwear undershirt--maybe pants too. They are very lightweight and you'll have the warmth of a sweater/sweatshirt in an easy to pack shirt (I often pack a shirt into a shoe) that weighs maybe an ounce. The pants will weigh a bit more (elastic in the waist) but they'll turn a pair of dress or casual pants into warm pants and not affect the fit of the pants at all. My luggage's packed weight/volume has fallen drastically since I discovered this--even for a chilly dining room/show lounge putting on a cold weather undershirt under a long-sleeved blouse gives you the warmth of a coat and no one can see the undershirt. Dries fast too; it's the one thing I don't send to the laundry. Washed and even left loosely draped over the shower faucet a shirt will be dry in a couple of hours.

Passport---first and foremost.

Credit card---I can buy what I forgot.

Meds, make-up, jewelry---girl's gotta feel and look good.

Perfect List!

Yup.... that is also my list....

Along with don't forget to be sure DH is along. :D

OH Yes, Must remember to put him on my list too! :D

Passport

Meds

Camera, (extra flash storage chip and batteries)

Credit Card

Small flashlight for night stand

I agree that there is not an alarm clock but there is an easy to use automated wake up call feature on the telephone.

An alarm clock which lights up is on my list, so I won't have to wear my watch to bed..I often wake up during the night & want to know the time. Don't ask me why it's so important to know the time though!

My lists are approx 4 pgs long, as according to DH & my Friends, I'm always bringing the "Kitchen Sink" along!:):o;):D

Enjoy your Cruise..We both loved Alaska..

Cheers...Betty

I always email my spreadsheet containing credit card nos; phone no to customer service; account nos and expiration dates; website and login info.

I put a copy of the picture/info pages of my passport, along with my itinerary and home address and a neighbor's phone, in each suitcase. One never knows where a suitcase will end up. I do this for the return trip as well.

That's interesting & wonder why you put a copy of your passport info pages in your suitcases? When I worked in the International Airline field, we were always cautioned about keeping our passport info. confidential & in a secure location.. We only produced them when checking-in at an Airline counter, a Hotel or when entering or departing a country & for Govt. Officials.. There were many thieves who were looking to get their hands on American passports & I believe still would love to have our Passport info..We guard ours closely & keep them locked up in a safe place..I always hated it when a hotel kept our passports years ago..If your suitcase were stolen, a thief would have your passport info..Does anyone else feel that passports should be closely guarded?

And I NEVER go on a cruise without jigsaw puzzles. I leave them on the ship when I disembark....

My DH loves to do jigsaw puzzles, but we only book outside cabins & would not have a table large enough to handle them..He would enjoy it if we could take one or two for him on our long cruises.. Do you do yours in your cabin? He has a jigsaw puzzle cloth, which can be rolled up, but it needs a special blow up tube for it..

Thanks...Betty

my first thought was different

Don't forget to put a hold on your mail and newspaper!

Not everyone thinks this is a good idea, because then you have people you don't know well, knowing you are out of town. We find a neighbor we trust and have them pick up the paper and mail. If we are gone for a long time, we just have them put the paper in the recycle bin.

Does HAL allow power strips? Some cruise lines confiscate them. It would be handy to have more than one outlet though.

Technically they only allow ones they loan to you. We go to the service desk as soon as we board and request one. There is a deposit, but you get it returned when you bring back the power strip.

;)

I always pay a visit to our family doctor prior to cruising ..and get a prescription for a broad spectrum antibiotic which we fill and take with us. He happily obliges ..he affectionally refers to a cruise ship as a "bucket of germs".

Covers most of the "itis" if need be... until we are once more home and back in his care. I would never use it lightly but I am happy to have the security it brings. I also travel with a small pharmacy;) containing every remedy known to man ..from liquid bandaids to ant acids...just my thing:o.. I would never leave home without it.

I take some sort of game. Really like the LCR game!:) I like one of the other posters, like jigsaw puzzles, would have nowhere to lay them out.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam they had at least one big table with a jigsaw puzzle in progress.

We found a bag of Bananagrams and sat down at one big table in teh library area to play. Ahhhh :cool:

I always bring a copy of our eye glasses prescription as well as spare old pairs. But if one of us looses our glasses we could usully get another pair made in a port and the old ones would do until then.

I always have a tote bag for carrying around my essentials onthe ship: book, water bottles, daily program, MP3 player.....

m--

Does HAL allow power strips? Some cruise lines confiscate them. It would be handy to have more than one outlet though.

Greetings Beagle One!

This time I requested a power strip from our cabin steward and he got one for us. I did have an extention cord with 3 outlets and used that until he found us a power strip of theirs, which they prefer for safety reasons, but had the extension cord as a back up.

I always bring one or two triple outlet plug-ins, sometimes known as a triple tap. (On our second cruise we made a memorable "shore excursion" to a hardware store in Acapulco on our way to the cliff divers..... )

m--

Technically they only allow ones they loan to you. We go to the service desk as soon as we board and request one. There is a deposit, but you get it returned when you bring back the power strip.

We've taken a couple power strips on each of our two cruises and never run into a problem. They were packed in our checked luggage.

We've taken a couple power strips on each of our two cruises and never run into a problem. They were packed in our checked luggage.

It is my understanding that they are getting stricter. Our first cruise we brought our own and there was no problem. Last cruise we used the one on board. I know people we met on board said they brought their own but put it away when they left their cabin so their room steward would not see it. I think it simply boils down to safety. The cruise lines prefers to provide ones they feel are safe.

I brought mine last year and asked the cabin steward about it and he said No. I put it away and went down to front desk. I am NOT going to be the one resonsible for causing of a fire in my cabin. Other people might not care which I cannot understand. Just because it has never happened at home or while you were on a cruise before. Why take a chance.

Mary

I brought mine last year and asked the cabin steward about it and he said No. I put it away and went down to front desk. I am NOT going to be the one resonsible for causing of a fire in my cabin. Other people might not care which I cannot understand. Just because it has never happened at home or while you were on a cruise before. Why take a chance.

Mary

Exactly my thoughts!!!

Do these things work? I see them on amazon, but if I were to buy, I would make sure I purchase a highly rated one. Cabins often have a few European outlets. They'd weigh less & take up way less space than a traditional power strip.

I would add a backup pair of eyeglasses if you wear them. I would have problems if my eyeglasses were lost or broken.

*** I left my small bag with my glasses, spare contacts and several other items ("other" meaning quickly replaceable) in the hotel where we stayed the night before embarkation. :eek: A towel had been thrown over the bag and we didn't double check the room before we left. :mad: I cannot see to brush my teeth without my glasses! I went a week with just the pair I was wearing, being VERY careful not to let anything happen. Thus I didn't swim. Even worse I didn't snorkel. :( We were able to pick the bag up at the hotel when we returned but it was a difficult week. However I had a great excuse to take a nap every day so I could take out my contacts and let my eyes rest! :cool:

Archived