***Live from the Sojourn, 20-day Iberian and Celtic Sojourn***

Hi seabourntraveller - would also like to hear your comments on the ports, excursions, etc. Or what you hear about them from others if you stay on board.

Thanks.

marazul;

I will be commenting on the ports and/or shore excursions etc.

Check daily for my updates.;)

Day 2: Porto Venere, Italy

Good morning from the Sleepy Sojourn here in Seabourn Square with Chocolate Muffin in hand and hot coffee as the sun is rising. WSe are making our way slowly towards Porto Venere, whereby we will be anchored at approx. 8:00am local or in 1.5 hours time and we will be starting tender services at that time. I slept like a rock last night and didn't feel a thing...in fact a train could come thru that Suite and wouldn't of heard a thing!

The Sea conditions and winds this morning are good although, it's overcast currently and a balmy 58F or 14C...brrrr Polar Express Cruise here we come again?...YIKES!:eek::eek:

Background on Porto Venere, Italy:

Porto Venere is a town "commune" (municipality) located on the Ligurian coast of Italy in the province of la Spezia. It comprises the three villages of Fezzano, Le Grazie and Portovenere and the three islands of Palmaria, Tino and Tinetto. In 1997 Porto Venere and the villages of Cinque Terre were designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.

Will be going for an early breakfast and then maybe the gym (remember I said maybe) and head ashore for a good espresso and cannoli.

More to come from the Sojourn as we make our way slowly towards Porto Venere, Italy.;)

Onboard Activities Today;

8:00am Arrival

8:30am Tender Service begins

10:00am Local Hospitality Office, Seabourn Square Deck 7

10:30am Golf Putting Enthusiasts

12:00 noon Colonnade opens for Lunch until 2:00pm Pasta

12:30pm Patio Grill opens until 3:30pm, Al Fresco

2:00pm Spa Seminar, Deck 9

2:00pm Unhosted Bridge Play, Card Room, Deck 7

3:30pm Card Games Get-Together, Card Room Deck 7

4:00pm Afternoon Tea and Piano Melodies, Observation Bar Deck 10

4:30pm Last Tender

5:00pm Departure, Sojourn sails for Sanary-sur-Mer, France

5:00pm Sojourn Team Trivia Challenge, The Club Deck 5

5:00pm Friends of Bill W., Conference Room #1, Deck 5

Evening Activities Onboard;

Tonights' Attire: Formal (Optional)

6:30pm Panoramic Piano Moods Nick Messina, Observation Bar Deck 10

6:30pm-8:00pm Club Cocktails, The Club Deck 5

6:45pm Pre-dinner Seabourn Speaker Series: "Sanary-sur-Mer"

9:30pm Late Night Melodies with Nick, Observation Bar Deck 10

9:30pm Evening Melodies with Guitarist Brian Chartrand, The Club Deck 5

9:45pm Captain's Welcome, Grand Salon Deck 6

10:00pm SHOWTIME: "Can't Stop the Music", Grand Salon, Deck 6

Post Breakfast Update;

Just came back from having breakfast in the Colonnade and it was virtually EMPTY! Maybe about 30 people MAX...looks like everyone is sleeping in today. The Corporate Restaurant Manager Luka is onboard with us and from what I heard they are phasing out the Maitre'd positions Fleet wide and instead promoting Maitre'd to Restaurant Manager positions and moving up the Restaurant Manager position and creating a new Food and Beverage Manager position. He is apprently onboard implementing this new change.

The weather here in Porto Venere has not improved at all, overcast, damp and cloudy day looks to be here in Italy today.

I was told this morning that I would be receiving the Wine List later this afternoon as Robert the Bar Manager said that they have received a lot of new wines onboard and they need to update the listing extensively. Curious as to see what the new additions might be.

My cabin stewardess Emma is fantastic...such a little white tornado this girl is....come back from breakfast and poof Suite is cleaned and done. Bobby our Cruise Director is leaving after this cruise when it finishes in Lisbon on May 12th. I don't know yet who his replacement is as of yet but will try and find out.

More to come from the Sojourn here in Porto Venere, Italy.;)

Great to have your blog to read once again!

The Patio Grill first night menu was "Al Fresco" and it looks like the suckling pig that is trumpeted on the official Seabourn blog as being part of this menu is again conspicuous by its absence....

Also, there were quite a few cruises scheduled to depart Civitavecchia on the 4th (over 8,000 -pax!). Did I read correctly that you did not have to wait for a shuttle bus at the port entrance?

Great to have your blog to read once again!

The Patio Grill first night menu was "Al Fresco" and it looks like the suckling pig that is trumpeted on the official Seabourn blog as being part of this menu is again conspicuous by its absence....

Also, there were quite a few cruises scheduled to depart Civitavecchia on the 4th (over 8,000 -pax!). Did I read correctly that you did not have to wait for a shuttle bus at the port entrance?

Billichka;

Patio Grill "Al Fresco" sans enormous suckling pig last night.

Also as I was walking up to the shuttle bus area the Seabourn shuttle bus was pulling up and I was alone on the bus along with one crew member....almost like a cheap limo to the pier.

Seabourntraveller you are doing it again. Hardly on the CC Thread for 24 hours and there are over 8000 views already. Absolutely amazing.

Lets see how many oversensitive Lurkers will get upset this time.

Are you travelling alone this round?

Post Lunch Update;

Just came back from having a leisurely lunch in the Colonnade....no MAD HOUSE scene there today.:eek:

I ordered the fish special of the day which was a grilled Ahi Tuna Steak with a medely of vegetables which was exquisite. I then dove right into having dessert and had a blueberry frangiapan and a cannoli with a capuccino to wash it all down.

We have a lot of "moaners and growners" on this cruise already.:rolleyes:

The weather is not improving at all today unfortunately; cloudy skies, the odd spit of rain here and there...a day to snuggle up in bed and watch a bunch of movies IMO.

Will be going to Afternoon Tea later this afternoon to see what they may be serving and if I can see Mrs. Witzke and "chew the fat".

You can really notice when the ship isn't full as it is very quiet onboard....LOVE IT.

More to come from the Sojourn anchored offshore from Porto Venere, Italy.

Seabourntraveller you are doing it again. Hardly on the CC Thread for 24 hours and there are over 8000 views already. Absolutely amazing.

Lets see how many oversensitive Lurkers will get upset this time.

Are you travelling alone this round?

Ahhhh yes the "Lurkers" ajpeter...there are many abound on here as usual....tell them don't be shy...we don't bite!:D

Yes travelling SOLO this time and loving it!;)

Post Lunch Update;

More to come from the Sojourn anchored offshore from Porto Venere, Italy.

ST - I admire your prolific postings. But wonder how you manage them. The internet connection from the fixed stations in Seabourn Square on Quest was so slow as to make one lose the will to live. But some reported that Wi Fi was quicker. Which are you using and is the speed OK?

Hope that our weather here in the UK warms up before you arrive here. They are predicting frost and some snow showers in Scotland this weekend. We have had almost 2 weeks of rain rain rain here in the south east of England!

enjoy your cruise

ST - I admire your prolific postings. But wonder how you manage them. The internet connection from the fixed stations in Seabourn Square on Quest was so slow as to make one lose the will to live. But some reported that Wi Fi was quicker. Which are you using and is the speed OK?

MARIANH...my Wine Guru! I am using mostly the Wifi which has been very fast on here most of the time. I use Seabourn Square computers early morning with coffee and chocolate muffin.;)

Hope that our weather here in the UK warms up before you arrive here. They are predicting frost and some snow showers in Scotland this weekend. We have had almost 2 weeks of rain rain rain here in the south east of England!

enjoy your cruise

buddymum....nice...brrrr not another "Polar Express Cruise"?:eek::eek:

Now off to Afternoon Tea and see what mayhem is brewing upstairs in the Observation Bar...maybe yet another "Fritz with the Mitts?"

MARIANH...my Wine Guru! I am using mostly the Wifi which has been very fast on here most of the time. I use Seabourn Square computers early morning with coffee and chocolate muffin.;)

Thanks for the info. Must take a laptop next time.

Incidentally, we had the Bouchard Petit Chablis on Quest ( Venice to Athens) just recently and it was good. They also had South African Viognier ( Robertson) - well worth a try. The Masi Alghieri was splendid with food. Two nights before we left the ship, a bottle of Errazuriz Merlot appeared ( had been taken on in Venice ). It had taken a week to rise from the bilge to the dining room. Anyways , it was very acceptable - needs food of course.

The Nigerian Shrimp ( sorry:eek: )were smaller than I recall from previous cruises; but the suckling pig was sucklingly porcine - a crackylingly good plateful.

Talking of animals, we had an elephant in the room ( aka a stong sewage smell around the ship at times) insofar as most Seabourn employees denied it's existence:(. Any whiffs ( other than Wi Fi's) on the Sojourn?

Thanks for the info. Must take a laptop next time.

Incidentally, we had the Bouchard Petit Chablis on Quest ( Venice to Athens) just recently and it was good. They also had South African Viognier ( Robertson) - well worth a try. The Masi Alghieri was splendid with food. Two nights before we left the ship, a bottle of Errazuriz Merlot appeared ( had been taken on in Venice ). It had taken a week to rise from the bilge to the dining room. Anyways , it was very acceptable - needs food of course.

The Nigerian Shrimp ( sorry:eek: )were smaller than I recall from previous cruises; but the suckling pig was sucklingly porcine - a crackylingly good plateful.

Talking of animals, we had an elephant in the room ( aka a stong sewage smell around the ship at times) insofar as most Seabourn employees denied it's existence:(. Any whiffs ( other than Wi Fi's) on the Sojourn?

MARIANH; I can't tell you as of yet what are the wines being offered onboard as I have yet to have the list be delivered to my Suite as requested. Thus far, no sightings of suckling pigs being roasted.

The only smells and whiffs we have had thus far is today at lunch time when I got up to get dessert someone let one rip and did a "drive by" and I walked right thru it....peeewwww!:mad:

Evening Update; Enroute to Sanary-sur-Mer

We have just left Porto Venere approx. 30 minutes ago, leaving the Bay and making our way south west to cross the Ligurian Sea tonight enroute for Sanary-sur-Mer. We are currently travelling 14.8 knots per hour and Captain Elliott has announced that we will have 15-20 knot per hour winds tonight but nothing serious and moderate swells making for a pleasant journey overnight to the coast of France.

We anticipate being anchored tomorrow morning at approx. 7:30am and to begin tender service at 8:00am. The weather forecast is much of the same as today with overcast skies, damp and a high of 16C or 63F.

Afternoon Tea today was a MAD HOUSE upstairs in the Observation Bar...packed, full house all wanting tea...all I wanted was the sugar-free Key Lime Pie wedges...LOL

Tonight is Formal Night so the Patio Grill is closed.:mad:...I guess I will have to starve until morning.:eek:

More to come from the Sojourn at sea and enroute for Sanary-sur-Mer, France.;)

Complimentary Wine List;

No sooner than I had finished typing that I was awaiting the Wine List to be delivered, the door bell went off and voila!..Wine List appeared!...is Seabourn listening in?

White Wines

Dr. Loosen, Reisling, Germany

Tormaresca, Chardonnay, Italy

Santa Margharita, Pinot Grigio, Italy

La Scolca, Gavi, Italy

Stoneburn, Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand

Caliterra, Sauvignon Blanc, Chile

Louis Latour, Grand Ardeche, Chardonnay, France

Pascal Bouchard, Petit Chablis, France

Corvo Bianco, IGP, Sicily, Italy

Red Wines

Placido, Chianti Classico, Tuscany, Italy

Aromo, Merlot, Chile

Brassfield, Syrah, California

Corvo Rosso, IGP, Sicily, Italy

Sirius Red, Bordeaux, France

Trois Couronnes, Cotes du Rhone, France

Milton Park, Shiraz, Australia

Villa Sandi, Cabernet Sauvignon, Italy

Lagunilla Gran Reserva, Rioja, Spain

Serego Alighieri, Tuscan Red, Italy

Blush/Rose

Beringer White Zinfandel, Napa Valley, California, USA

Paul Jaboulet, Tavel, France

Scalabrone Guado al Tasso, Bolgheri, Italy

Sparkling Wines

Nicholas Feuillate, Brut, Champagne, France

Prosecco DOC, Brut, Cantine Maschio, Italy

Wine Tasting;

When we will be at sea next week, they are offering an Australian Wine Tasting event for $85.00 per person for a maximum of 12 people at 3:00pm in the Restaurant Deck 4.

Quatage Shortfire, Thorn & CLarke, Barossa Valley, 2005

Penfolds, Bin 407, Cabernet Sauvignon, South Australia, 2008

Penfolds, St-Henri, Shiraz, South Australia, 2006

Wolf Blass, Black Label, South Australia, 2003

Penfolds Grange, Shiraz, South Australia, 2003

Wine Tasting;

When we will be at sea next week, they are offering an Australian Wine Tasting event for $85.00 per person for a maximum of 12 people at 3:00pm in the Restaurant Deck 4.

Quatage Shortfire, Thorn & CLarke, Barossa Valley, 2005

Penfolds, Bin 407, Cabernet Sauvignon, South Australia, 2008

Penfolds, St-Henri, Shiraz, South Australia, 2006

Wolf Blass, Black Label, South Australia, 2003

Penfolds Grange, Shiraz, South Australia, 2003

They offer a wine tasting event on every trip.

I don't know anyone that has been to one.

It might be worth it if you could just drink a couple of bottles of the Grange.:)

Archived