***Live from the Sojourn, 20-day Iberian and Celtic Sojourn***

hello ST and all other SB friends .... Just catching up with your news .... ST it seems like you've not been away!

We're in SUNNY Glasgow for the weekend to see a show and have spent the day going around having fun on the HOHO bus - what a great way to see this beautiful city. Great for any day visit to the city and easy to get on the HOHO from the ships. As I write this the sun is streaming in our hotel room window overlooking the Clyde and its all looking very bonny indeed!

ST hope you had a lovely afternoon tea, we had ours at the Chocolate Factory and yes there was a lot of chocolate! Yum yum.

Now MrMarianH :eek::eek:Indeed at the mere mention of those things!! I did have a giant king prawn in tempura with a King Prawn Cocktail at Gleneagles yesterday but although delicious, didn't quite reach the culinary heights of you know whats!!!!!

Lovely to have you back ST, fell about laughing at your tale of whiffinesss!!!:D

hello ST and all other SB friends .... Just catching up with your news .... ST it seems like you've not been away!

We're in SUNNY Glasgow for the weekend to see a show and have spent the day going around having fun on the HOHO bus - what a great way to see this beautiful city. Great for any day visit to the city and easy to get on the HOHO from the ships. As I write this the sun is streaming in our hotel room window overlooking the Clyde and its all looking very bonny indeed!

ST hope you had a lovely afternoon tea, we had ours at the Chocolate Factory and yes there was a lot of chocolate! Yum yum.

Now MrMarianH :eek::eek:Indeed at the mere mention of those things!! I did have a giant king prawn in tempura with a King Prawn Cocktail at Gleneagles yesterday but although delicious, didn't quite reach the culinary heights of you know whats!!!!!

Lovely to have you back ST, fell about laughing at your tale of whiffinesss!!!:D

There you are! and here I thought I might have given you the day off?

The crew said the same "how was your vacation"!:eek:

I just love Glasgow...probably warmer there than it is here? Chocolate Factory sounds divine fairbourne....hope you had a couple for me?

No NS as of yet to speak of onboard!

Seabourntraveller,

I am guilty of being one of the lurkers here :D, extremely enjoying your informative, insightful and amusing blogs. We will be boarding Sojourn on June 29th for the Norwegian Fjords and North Cape, unfortunately our Roll call is curiously quiet :confused:. This will be our first cruise on Seabourn, I can't wait to sample the menu and wines and see the ship in person. You have given some great tips for us to know a few of the insider secrets. Thank you!

-Caroline

Dinner Options Onboard Tonight;

The Restaurant

FIRST COURSE

Iced Malossol Caviar, classic garnish

Chilled Foie Gras "Charlotte", fresh apricot mostarda, toasted walnuts

Twice Baked Goat Cheese Souffle, roasted sweet garlic cream

Puff Pastry Baked Parmesan & Prosciutto Consomme, navy beans, black truffle essence

Artichoke Bisque, polenta and spinach fritters, bacon lardons

Tossed Arugula Leaves, mango, red radish, crisp onions, citrus dressing

Raw Apple & Celery Salad, toasted walnut compote, poppy seed-lemon dressing

MAIN COURSE

Pan Seared Halibut Studded with Anchovies, warm nicoise style salad, crisp giant capers, black olives

Grilled Marinated Lobster Tail, vegetable risotto, green asparagus chevril beurre blanc

Herb Crusted Lamb Chops, fondant potatoes in mustard jus, peas, wilted lettuce

Slow Roasted Prime Rib of Beef, trufled dauphine potatoes, chantrelle mushrooms, bordelaise shallots

Vegetarian-Baricoule of Artichokes, white beans, thyme roasted tomatoes, saffron potato dice

Restaurant 2;

SEE LAST NIGHTS MENU-REPEATED AGAIN.

The Colonnade- Steak House

APPETIZERS

Seared Beef Tataki

Pickled Vegetables, Ponzu Jelly, Tahini Puree

or

Crispy Corn Crusted Prawn

Fennel Slaw, Romanesco Sauce

or

Roasted Garlic Soup

Chive Chantilly, Crunchy Rosemary Brioche

MAIN COURSE

Rib Eye Steak

Filet of Beef Tenderloin

Short Ribs

Filet of Fresh Salmon

Lemon Caper Sauce

Served with Sweet Peas & Corn

Truffled Mashed Potatoes, Caramelized Onion Jus

DESSERTS

Fresh Strawberry Cheesecake

Graham Cracker, Walnut Tuille

PATIO GRILL- CLOSED :mad:

Seabourntraveller,

I am guilty of being one of the lurkers here :D, extremely enjoying your informative, insightful and amusing blogs. We will be boarding Sojourn on June 29th for the Norwegian Fjords and North Cape, unfortunately our Roll call is curiously quiet :confused:. This will be our first cruise on Seabourn, I can't wait to sample the menu and wines and see the ship in person. You have given some great tips for us to know a few of the insider secrets. Thank you!

-Caroline

Caroline; Hope you have sent in a referral coupon to get your $400.00 Onboard Credit as a First Time Cruiser on Seabourn? If not I would be happy to mail out one to you.;)

Evening Update; At Sea enroute to Sanary-sur-Mer

Well Captain Elliott's predictions for smooth seas tonight is OFF a bit. We have 4 meter swells and strong winds pushing agaisnt the bow of the ship (Force 7 on the Beaufort Scale) causing for some rocking back and forth and pitching of the ship. In my Suite the doors to the cupboards are rattling. We are travelling at almost 15 knots and have a total distance of 205 nautical miles in order to reach Sanary-sur-Mer, France.

I keep getting invites for dinner every night. The first night was at the Singers and Dancers table, tonight was the Ship's Doctors table and tomorrow night I am invited to the Social Hostess table Annabel. Just no time to update this blog if this continues!

Speaking of that sensitive topic of smokers, my neighbours are HEAVY smokers out on the balcony and it always crosses over onto my side (almost like California Wildfire smoke...I kid you not...that's how much these people smoke:mad:). It is kinda of anoying to be honest. Hopefully they are only on for the first 8 days and not 20 days?:eek:

Tonight people were opting to dress formally, although I noticed most men were in dark suits rather than full tuxedos.

I had the Twice Baked Goat Cheese Souffle, Artichoke Bisque, Filet Mignon and added the Lobster Tail to make up my own surf and turn (sans Nigerian Shrimp). For dessert had the trio of creme brulee....yummy yum!

More to come from the Sojourn cruising the Ligurian Sea enroute to Sanary-sur-Mer, France.

Thanks for posting the updated wine list. Some of the usual suspects but a few additions. It will be interesting to see what is still on next week. With the few bottles we bring on board and a few nights of buying off the reserve list, there are several of the house wines that will be fine for the other nights. However, I think we will skip the wine tasting. We have been lucky enough to try the Grange in the past, and the tasting fee is a bit steep.

One more week and counting.

Complimentary Wine List;

No sooner than I had finished typing that I was awaiting the Wine List to be delivered, the door bell went off and voila!..Wine List appeared!...is Seabourn listening in?

White Wines

Dr. Loosen, Reisling, Germany

Tormaresca, Chardonnay, Italy

Santa Margharita, Pinot Grigio, Italy

La Scolca, Gavi, Italy

Stoneburn, Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand

Caliterra, Sauvignon Blanc, Chile

Louis Latour, Grand Ardeche, Chardonnay, France

Pascal Bouchard, Petit Chablis, France

Corvo Bianco, IGP, Sicily, Italy

Red Wines

Placido, Chianti Classico, Tuscany, Italy

Aromo, Merlot, Chile

Brassfield, Syrah, California

Corvo Rosso, IGP, Sicily, Italy

Sirius Red, Bordeaux, France

Trois Couronnes, Cotes du Rhone, France

Milton Park, Shiraz, Australia

Villa Sandi, Cabernet Sauvignon, Italy

Lagunilla Gran Reserva, Rioja, Spain

Serego Alighieri, Tuscan Red, Italy

Blush/Rose

Beringer White Zinfandel, Napa Valley, California, USA

Paul Jaboulet, Tavel, France

Scalabrone Guado al Tasso, Bolgheri, Italy

Sparkling Wines

Nicholas Feuillate, Brut, Champagne, France

Prosecco DOC, Brut, Cantine Maschio, Italy

what??? no pinot noirs??? please fix this by the 12th!

The usual suspects,nothing to get excited about.

I would have the Grand Ardeche and buy a decent red from the wine list.

Or the Petit Chablis - we thought it was good also.

But if you skip the reds from the list you will be missing three decent red wines, viz the Masi Alighieri, the Langunilla Rioja and at a push the Sirius. Oh, the Masi needs opening at least an hour before drinking. We found it improved markedly.

And there is a decent Sauternes to be had on all the ships; but they do not list it. You have to ask.

On matters spiritual, we found an excellent " Select Oak" Macallan malt whisky on the Quest. Said on the bottle to be a combination of five cask types; but no year anywhere to be found. Suspicious at first, I soon came round after tasting it ( and got a bottle for our suite:)). Trust me, it's worth a sample or two if you are into malts. Apparently it is bottled for the "Travel Industry" and retails around £50 a bottle.

Wine Tasting;

When we will be at sea next week, they are offering an Australian Wine Tasting event for $85.00 per person for a maximum of 12 people at 3:00pm in the Restaurant Deck 4.

Quatage Shortfire, Thorn & CLarke, Barossa Valley, 2005

Penfolds, Bin 407, Cabernet Sauvignon, South Australia, 2008

Penfolds, St-Henri, Shiraz, South Australia, 2006

Wolf Blass, Black Label, South Australia, 2003

Penfolds Grange, Shiraz, South Australia, 2003

I usually go to these ; but sometimes they are cancelled because of insufficient numbers. If you are into wine, they are enjoyable events ( IMHO). But not especially good value for the price charged- unless of course you can extract a decent sample or two of the better wine(s).

For the above tasting this would certainly mean the 2003 Grange ( currently retails UK approx £200 ). Certainly a good opportunity to taste a famous top end Australian wine if you havent before. G'day.

ST, will you please say a big Scottish "hello" to Social Hostess Annabel - she was on the Quest maiden TA with us - from moi and the DH, he of the "tartan trews"! I almost has to keep him on a tight rein as all the American ladies were eyeing him up ;):) And watch Miss Annabel, she'll lead you astray!!! LOL!

Chocolate - share? In the same sentence? NON! But I would want to share YOUR creme brûlée! ;):D

Happy Sunday for tomorrow everyone. :)

Wine Tasting;

When we will be at sea next week, they are offering an Australian Wine Tasting event for $85.00 per person for a maximum of 12 people at 3:00pm in the Restaurant Deck 4.

Quatage Shortfire, Thorn & CLarke, Barossa Valley, 2005

Penfolds, Bin 407, Cabernet Sauvignon, South Australia, 2008

Penfolds, St-Henri, Shiraz, South Australia, 2006

Wolf Blass, Black Label, South Australia, 2003

Penfolds Grange, Shiraz, South Australia, 2003

$85.00? Go for it. ;) It's a very conservative selection but a good one. The Wolf Blass 2003 is very good and not like his more commercial wines. Sadly, the Grange is a very average vintage but you'll get the idea of how great these wines can be. Wish I was there. We took a bottle of the Bin 407 and a bottle of Grange on to Spirit last year. The Grange bottle may still be in their display in the Restaurant.

ST

If you enjoy a desert wine or a wine with a cheese tray Seabourn use to serve these complimentary ~a well kept secret!! You might want to inquire to the wine master as to the selection of comp ports, sauterns and the sherry list available.We ordered our desert wines in the dining room, after dinner.

Have a continued fun voyage!:p

Martita

Seabourn Traveller -- Not attempting to evoke any guilt here :rolleyes:, but did you make it to the gym as you mentioned you might? I'm interested in knowing how crowded it gets, is the equipment operable, and how hot does it get in there?

Day 3: Arrival into Sanary-sur-Mer, France

Good morning from the sleepy Sojourn...not a mouse here in Seabourn Square but Kevin the barista and I. We are currently still cruising at 15 knots heading for Sanary-sur-Mer with an estimated arrival time of 7:30am or in 1 hours time and should begin tendering by 8:00am.

The weather outside looks much of the same as yesterday although we have currently high winds which is making for some ship movement and moderate swells of 3 meters out there. The seas last night were a bit rough and I could feel the movement of the ship most of the night and I am mid ship, I can't imagine those people in bow or the stern of the ship.:eek:

Background on Sanary-sur-Mer;

Sanary-sur-Mer is a commune in the Var Department in the Provence-Alpes Cote d'Azur region in the southeastern France. The seafront location was part of the commune of Ollioules in the 16th century the seigneur established a fishing village here, clustered around the medieval watchtower, under the protection of "Sanct Nazarf" of Lerins Abby.

When you arrive in this picturesque port, you will fall in love with this delightful Provencal village. From the top of Notre Dame de Pitie, there is a magnificent view of the islands Embiez, Rouveau, Pointe Negre and the red rocks of the rough coastline la Cride.

There is a shoreline path which has been built for those who like walking around along the coast and beach lovers will be delighted to know that with 280 days of sunny weather (not today) in Sanary-sur-Mer, swimming is possible every day from May to October.

Seabourn Traveller -- Not attempting to evoke any guilt here :rolleyes:, but did you make it to the gym as you mentioned you might? I'm interested in knowing how crowded it gets, is the equipment operable, and how hot does it get in there?

Yes I did although my pit stop was brief. The gym is NEVER crowded at all on this ship...no need to get in there early and fight for a machine. The equipment is in very good condition and it can get a little warm but then the Spa Manager usually opens the door. You need to worry about people who swet and dry like an ELEPHANT in there more than the heat IMO.:eek:

ST

If you enjoy a desert wine or a wine with a cheese tray Seabourn use to serve these complimentary ~a well kept secret!! You might want to inquire to the wine master as to the selection of comp ports, sauterns and the sherry list available.We ordered our desert wines in the dining room, after dinner.

Have a continued fun voyage!:p

Martita

Martita, thanks for the heads up as you gave me on the Legend in December last year. I am not a big port fan but do like an occasional dessert wine sometimes. I'll try and see what selection they have.

$85.00? Go for it. ;) It's a very conservative selection but a good one. The Wolf Blass 2003 is very good and not like his more commercial wines. Sadly, the Grange is a very average vintage but you'll get the idea of how great these wines can be. Wish I was there. We took a bottle of the Bin 407 and a bottle of Grange on to Spirit last year. The Grange bottle may still be in their display in the Restaurant.

I might just try it just to sample the Grange bottle itself. But as most have said on here these events usually get canceled due to poor attendance.:mad:

Or the Petit Chablis - we thought it was good also.

But if you skip the reds from the list you will be missing three decent red wines, viz the Masi Alighieri, the Langunilla Rioja and at a push the Sirius. Oh, the Masi needs opening at least an hour before drinking. We found it improved markedly.

And there is a decent Sauternes to be had on all the ships; but they do not list it. You have to ask.

On matters spiritual, we found an excellent " Select Oak" Macallan malt whisky on the Quest. Said on the bottle to be a combination of five cask types; but no year anywhere to be found. Suspicious at first, I soon came round after tasting it ( and got a bottle for our suite:)). Trust me, it's worth a sample or two if you are into malts. Apparently it is bottled for the "Travel Industry" and retails around £50 a bottle.

MARIANH; I have been sticking to the Petit Chablis mostly and the odd Masi, Alighieri. I will try the Langunilla Rioja just for the hell of it to see. I am hopingt as we go thru the south of Spain and Portugal, Robert the Bar Manager might pick up some additional wines from these regions.

Is smoking allowed on balconies? I thought I had read on here that it is only allowed in certain areas of the ship and not in suites or on balconies.

Regretably YES. I wish Seabourn would chnage this policy and quick. You are allowed as well in your Suite to smoke.

Onboard Activities Today;

8:00am Arrival

8:30am Tender Service begins

9:00am Local Hospitality Representative, Seabourn Square Deck 7 until 12 noon

9:00am Shopping with the Chef, Shopping with Chef Andrew for local treats

10:30am Baggo-Prize Game, The Retreat, Deck 11

12:00 noon the Colonnade opens for lunch, Seafood

12:30pm Patio Grill opens for lunch until 3:30pm, Gyros

2:00pm Spa Seminar

2:00pm Unhosted Social Bridge Play, Card Room, Deck 7

4:00pm Afternoon Tea Time & Piano Melodies, Observation Bar, Deck 10

4:30pm Last Tender

4:30pm Galley Tour with Executive Chef Andrew, The Restaurant, Deck 4

5:00pm Departure; Sojourn sails for Barcelona, Spain.

5:30pm Interdenominational Church Service, Card Room Deck 7

5:30pm Friends of Bill W., Conference Room#1, Deck 5

Evening Activities Onboard;

Tonight's Attire: Elegantly Casual

6:30pm Panoramic Piano Moods with Nick, Observation Bar Deck 10

6:30pm-8:00pm Club Cocktails, The Club Deck 5

6:30pm LGBT Get Together, The Club Deck 5

6:45pm Pre-Dinner Seabourn Speaker Seriees: Recap on Barcelona and Malaga, Grand Salon Deck 6

9:30pm Smooth Melodies with Nick, Observation Bar Deck 10

9:30pm Brian Chartrand on Guitar, The club Deck 5

9:45pm SHOWTIME: Jamie Allan-Maverick Magician!

Archived