Thomson Majesty's first cruise

Thank you very much for your detailed, interesting review. It seems to be a very balanced report and positive overall and I am sure quite reassuring for those going on the Majesty soon. Hopefully the hot/cold plumbing problems will be sorted soon.

Kruzseeka, when are you going on the Majesty and are you doing the Aegean as well?

Next week :D - and yes doing the Aegean bit too - so will give you my impressions and thoughts on the ship and ports in due course. ;)

There seems to be quite a few of us on here who are sailing June 1st I have asked Thomson if due to the Queens jubilee we will have any themed nights but they havn't got back to me yet . Also It will be my 40th Birthday on the 3rd (KOPER) so If you see a rather merry looking person holding a cocktail ( in both hands) with the large i'm 40 badge that will probably be me :) so say hi

When we were on the Celebration last April, they made an effort for the royal wedding showing it all on the big screen in the showlounge and served some canapes and cake also a special cocktail - although that was payable - but they didn't let the occasion pass by un-noticed. That was the Celebration of course so don't know whether the Louis managed Majesty would do anything. Would be nice if they did though - but I'm sure you'll enjoy your birthday anyway. Have a great time. :)

Thanks Wightryder for the review, me and 8 other members of my family are going on the Majesty on the 29th June. Do you know if you can get a wine package on the Majesty, 2 years ago on the Destiny i remember you could get so many bottle of wine outside the dinning room. Also on the day sailing how was it for getting a sunbed and did the entertainment crew keep you entertained.

I didn't see any evidence of a wine package while we were on board. In the dining room most people seemed to be drinking wine from the glass at around £3.50 a go. There are two bars on the sun deck and if you sit down anywhere somebody will soon be around to take drink orders.

Plenty of sunbeds available on the top of the ship above the sun deck so you should have no trouble there. It was a very popular spot this week.

Can't really comment on the entertainment as we prefer to curl up with a book! I'm sure there will be other comments on the entertainment soon.

Next week :D - and yes doing the Aegean bit too - so will give you my impressions and thoughts on the ship and ports in due course. ;)

Just deleted my reply, doh! So jealous.... Will very much look forward to your review and tips. You don't need me to tell you how much everyone appreciates the time you spend helping people out on here. Noticed you must not have had much sleep last night!!

I've got 4 months to wait and make plans about what to do in port and have lots of ideas in my head. I need to get them sorted out and on paper as that is the impression I have got from this site. With just a few hours in port, there will be a tight schedule. (Sounds like work)

Next week :D - and yes doing the Aegean bit too - so will give you my impressions and thoughts on the ship and ports in due course. ;) :)

Oh, lucky you, Kruzseeka! We will all look forward in anticiaption to your reviews and comments upon your return! Lovely time of year to be out in the Adriatic & Aegean! Have a wonderful time:)

Obviously in a review you tend to highlight problems a bit. The ship has been laid up for a while so plumbing problems will be inevitable, the issue is really how long it takes to fix them. Our trip was by no means a disaster in any sense of the word, in fact, in the circumstances I think the crew did a first class job and I'm sure that the various teething troubles will be sorted out quite quickly and things can only get better. For what we paid I think we got quite reasonable value but people's expectations do differ. Yes, there were some specific moans and groans on board, but I thought that most people appeared to be reasonably happy. Many of them seemed to be from Yorkshire and they are not slow to say what they think!

For those waiting to sail I don't think you will have a bad experience at all. My impression of the ship being a bit unexciting is a personal one and may not be shared by those to whom the internal decor is not very important as long as it is quite smart (which it is). I'm not really qualified to comment on the entertainment side.

So, if you are booked to travel in the near future I think you will have a pretty good time. (But if you are on the Adriatic Explorer, book an excursion at Brindisi!)

Well yes, thats a pretty fair summation.I'm not bothered by the entertainment, I'd rather a quiet dink a chat and some background group, I really dont expect my favored entertainment to be catered for anyway [ I'm a Bob Dylan fan for goodness sake LOL ]

I have no idea what an exciting ship is and no expectations, my one and only experience of cruising was last year on the Spirit and that seemed servicable only , I found the vibrations a pain so any improvement on that will be a bonus. I'm not bothered by colour schemes [ I leave that to the wife ] so long as there are no purples and lime greens, clearly they go for neutarl colours which is ok with me.

We have booked an excursion at every stop so I never had any intention of wandering around a working port looking at cranes and winches.

We have what looks like a nice Jr Suite so space is probably ok.

I am keen on cuisine and eating and do hope that this is hassle free, it does suit us to have " open" dining, so this is one are I am nervous about , moist others I'm fairly relaxed about.some people seem to look for nit picking although a blocked toilet is of course no fun.

In short if I have what amounts to a pleasant hotel room with access to good dining and visiting interesting places without too many hitches then I'm happy and , lets be honest,after my escapade last year I'm just happy to be here

Thank you so much for your review, Wightryder. I knew we would get a balanced view from you and your comments are pretty much what I think we are expecting when we go on board. Decor and entertainment are very subjective but the main things seem to be ok. Can't wait to go now.

Couldn't resist a look, eh Kruszeeka?;).

Have a good time, I know it's a bit early but we're on holiday next week so wont be on here before you go.

You'd better take a note book because I bet everone will have loads on questions when you get back.:)

Wightryder thank you for a very informed and unbiased view.

Thank you so much for your review, Wightryder. I knew we would get a balanced view from you and your comments are pretty much what I think we are expecting when we go on board. Decor and entertainment are very subjective but the main things seem to be ok. Can't wait to go now.

Yes, most of the things I have mentioned can be easily put right once the crew have got used to the ship and one must expect some teething troubles on the 'maiden' voyage - even brand new ships have problems.

As you say, decor is a subjective thing and I heard no complaints on that score but I am something of a ship enthusiast so perhaps more critical than most although I did try not to be influenced by our last trip which was on Queen Mary 2 and the inside of that ship is just stunning! Douglas Ward in his Cruise Guide book thought that the Majesty decor was pretty good so I'm sure that most people will find it OK.

Although the standard cabins are on the small side they have all the essentials and our beds were comfortable which is very important.

Interestingly, on checking the ship's history, she was cut in half in 1999 and a new section added in the middle with extra cabins, public rooms and the addition of the Four Seasons restaurant. The buffet facilities were not enlarged however which accounts for the pressure at times that we saw on these facilities during the week.

I will be very interested to see what others think of the ship.

Yes, most of the things I have mentioned can be easily put right once the crew have got used to the ship and one must expect some teething troubles on the 'maiden' voyage - even brand new ships have problems.

As you say, decor is a subjective thing and I heard no complaints on that score but I am something of a ship enthusiast so perhaps more critical than most although I did try not to be influenced by our last trip which was on Queen Mary 2 and the inside of that ship is just stunning! Douglas Ward in his Cruise Guide book thought that the Majesty decor was pretty good so I'm sure that most people will find it OK.

Although the standard cabins are on the small side they have all the essentials and our beds were comfortable which is very important.

Interestingly, on checking the ship's history, she was cut in half in 1999 and a new section added in the middle with extra cabins, public rooms and the addition of the Four Seasons restaurant. The buffet facilities were not enlarged however which accounts for the pressure at times that we saw on these facilities during the week.

Heres another View .... Majesty ;)

I know what you mean. I have been on a couple of ships a long time ago that I would describe as elegant but I like modern too if it is well done, so it will be interesting to see what I think of the Majesty. it is just so good to be talking reality rather than theoretically.

I had no idea so many people from this forum were due to go on the Majesty soon. Kruzseeka, I thought you were going in September! Don't know where I got that from. Are you packing yet? I am going to start next weekend. Will try to spot you on the ship. I won't be too hard to spot - small, Scottish and with a drink or cigarette or both :D

Terry, Glittergal, rainbow (don't know if you are one week or two), twiggs travels and Keith (think you are on then?) are all onboard when I am on too. Hope I haven't missed anyone out. Hope you have fantastic birthdays, Glittergal and twiggs travels and all have a wonderful cruise.

Little Nell, there seems to be a lot from this forum going on the 18th May too. Only noticed one other party going on my date 31.8.12, so there should be plenty of sun beds and no queues for dinner. LOL :D:D

I had no idea so many people from this forum were due to go on the Majesty soon. Kruzseeka, I thought you were going in September! Don't know where I got that from. Are you packing yet? I am going to start next weekend. Will try to spot you on the ship. I won't be too hard to spot - small, Scottish and with a drink or cigarette or both :D

Terry, Glittergal, rainbow (don't know if you are one week or two), twiggs travels and Keith (think you are on then?) are all onboard when I am on too. Hope I haven't missed anyone out. Hope you have fantastic birthdays, Glittergal and twiggs travels and all have a wonderful cruise.

Thanx Little Nell Im getting excited now and have just been and bought a few last minute things . New alarm clock so I wake up on the day we go :) sea sickness tablets (hope not to use) and big floppy sun hat I do hope to use :D . happy cruising everyone for whenever you are going

Re the other review that Kalos has given the link for, yes some people did queue for over an hour to get into the restaurant but that was a bit silly really. As both restaurants filled up shortly after opening at 6:30 it should have been obvious that tables would not start to free up for another hour and a half or thereabouts so there was little point in hanging around waiting at the door! From around 8:15 onwards you could usually get in with just a few minutes wait. Also, the waiters were still getting to grips with their new surroundings so I think that the whole process will become much slicker.

Apparently the ship carries 1462 passengers and the waiter service restaurant capacity is around 900 so you would need about one and a half sittings to accommodate everyone but I'm not sure how that ties in with the open dining concept.

Well, I for one think Majesty looks lovely. Lots of sunbeds and I like the little tables to separate them a bit and put your drinks, etc on. Not many people about - was it early in the morning? As a matter of interest, do you know if she was full, half full????

Well done and thank you very much for the time you have taken to post your reviews and photos.:)

Not many people about - was it early in the morning? As a matter of interest, do you know if she was full, half full????

Yes, some of the pics were early morning. I think the ship was pretty full but it always seemed to be possible to find a quiet spot inside or out if you wanted to. We liked to spend time in the Royal Observatory Lounge overlooking the bow. During the late afternoon and while at sea most of the sunbeds were occupied by basting passengers. People tended to move around the ship at different times and she didn't seem to be particularly overcrowded although there were some 'hot spots' when buffet lunches coincided with people using the pool and jacuzzis but by moving aft a bit there were always plenty of free tables.

Little Nell, there seems to be a lot from this forum going on the 18th May too. Only noticed one other party going on my date 31.8.12, so there should be plenty of sun beds and no queues for dinner. LOL :D:D

Hope so for your sake, Jakanne:) I did a ghost booking last week for our cruise and the only cabins available were the superior outside on decks 6 and 7 for a good price (not surprised when you see what they are charging normally for them) so it looks like it will be busy when we are there.

Thanks for the pics Wightryder. I think she looks good and there was a distinct lack of towels on sun beds which is encouraging :)

Yes, passengers are warned not to 'reserve' sunbeds with towels and that those not occupied for more that 45 minutes are up for grabs - quite right too!

Archived