Background Music X- Ship

Germancruiser

Just back from a great Transatlantic- cruise on board Silhouette. Crew, Service, Ship, absolutly to the X- high Standart. Talked to many passengers from different countries- we all agreed on one " weak" point- the constant played background music in the Lounges, in Ocien view. ( the same discs all the time- very anoying) Also sometimes in the Martini- Bar the music was so loud, that a conversation was absolutly impossible.

They spoiled Michaels club in their desire to create a " bear pub" ! That was such a nice place, espl on board Millenium Class ships!

As I see it they ( X) got a lot of comments about that in their cards about their constant anoying background music!

A propper review will follow eventually!

Michael

We were on the Equinox in April and the background music everywhere was so loud you couldn't think straight.It was very loud in the sky lounge during the day, it is a beautiful place to sit and read but it was impossible due to the noise level, the Atrium was the same.When we asked about turning the volume down to a roar the answer was'maybe for a little while but then we will have to turn it back up???? We spent a lot more time on our balcony than usual.:(

We were on Solstice a couple of months ago, and although I don't remember the music being loud, it was annoying -- especially the supposedly soothing "spa" music. I find it creepy, not soothing.

Oh yes I agree to all you answers. I heard so many complain... unbelievable. I used to got up to the Solstice Deck, very quite and nice or as said to my own balcony. Well as we enjoy our cruises we tried to make fun out of it und tried so sing along Route 66 and such songs. LOL.

I hope X headquaters will come to their senses, one waiter in Ocean view said, he loves to work with X and their nice passengers, but the constand music makes him wanna jump overboard sometimes.

Michael

Just booked our first X cruise after 10 with Oceania and the thought of the music you describe may make us re-think.:mad:

After a dozen cruises on Celebrity, the most recent being on the Summit this past Feburary, we booked our first Oceania cruise for January 2013.

The music was an issue with us also as was the food in the MDR. The staff was over the top excellent.

Hope you enjoy your cruise on Celebrity.

Just booked our first X cruise after 10 with Oceania and the thought of the music you describe may make us re-think.:mad:

Based upon one person's comment regarding in music the public spaces, you are thinking of NOT crusing with Celebrity? Maybe the music problem has been taken care of, and now it's quieter. You may just want to re-think your decision.

Based upon one person's comment regarding in music the public spaces, you are thinking of NOT crusing with Celebrity? Maybe the music problem has been taken care of, and now it's quieter. You may just want to re-think your decision.

Sorry, not a serious comment;) We will be in a suite with a balcony to die for so we know where we'll spend our time with our own music. :)

After a dozen cruises on Celebrity, the most recent being on the Summit this past Feburary, we booked our first Oceania cruise for January 2013.

The music was an issue with us also as was the food in the MDR. The staff was over the top excellent.

Hope you enjoy your cruise on Celebrity.

You will love Oceinia!:)

I doubt the problem has been taken care of. We were on Silhouette a couple of weeks ago just before she left for the TA, and the music was horrendous. I can't tell you how many times it was ridiculously loud, very inappropriate (i.e., loud rock music playing in the MDR during dinner), and the same tunes over and over again. One night the music was so loud and obnoxious in the MDR that nobody at our table of 6 could hear what our waiter was saying, nor could he hear us. Finally he went and asked that it be turned down and what a difference it made. At the martini bar, again, couldn't carry on a conversation, but we tolerated that because we felt that was the atmosphere they were going for. But not conducive to meeting friends and enjoying a cocktail and conversation.

I have to tell you...we've been on many Celebrity cruises and this is the first time music has ever been an issue. We did write it on the comment card, so hopefully something will be done about it.

Jo-Ann

Many posters are complaining about the music and the volume.

We want to book another cruise on an S-Class Ship due to the itinerary.

Unfortunately, the poor Atrium/Foyerr design along with loud music that blasts through the entire Atrium area of +12 deck levels is a major obstacle for us.

We can overcome the MDR as a negative. We can adjust to the lack of a proper promenade. I can use ear plugs in the Persian Garden.

Maybe Celebrity wants to sell ear muffs and ear plugs in a gift shop.

But the constant music at decibels beyond our tolerance in the Atrium/Foyer (main) area is what keeps us from booking.

Maybe Celebrity is deaf to the fact that cruisers want to hear other passengers.

No it's just that Celebrity is targeting a different crowd nowadays... the 20s-30s population.... many of whom NEED to have some kind of stimulus every moment of their life... whether it be through iphone, ipod, ipad, headphones, etc...

One suggested reason is their desire to get the younger demographic, as stated above. Not sure how many I've seen who would appreciate it.

Another reason could be financial - now that they're selling the drinks packages they want to keep us away from the bars so we don't drink and cost them money? Just asking....

j

No it's just that Celebrity is targeting a different crowd nowadays... the 20s-30s population.... many of whom NEED to have some kind of stimulus every moment of their life... whether it be through iphone, ipod, ipad, headphones, etc...

Sad!:mad:

We also had some noise issues on our last cruises with the Equinox in November and the Solstice TA in April :

- annoying music in the relaxation room, too loud to relax. I asked to turn the volume down a bit, which was done for about 10 min. then it went up again.

- very loud music in the main Theatre, especially during production shows (we sat in the back wing)

- extremely loud band in the main foyer which made it impossible to go to Guest Relations to settle an issue or to have a conversation at the Martini Bar

- sometimes very loud music at outside Pool, however we don't complain about this, we just went to look for another place as we can accept that especially the younger guests might like it a bit rowdier sometimes. Similary I would not complain about the loud music in the Quasar.

However I wonder if the music in the Sky Lounge has to be that loud that it is impossible to have bits of conversation when going to the dance at night.

We made once a remark in this vein to the Cruise Director Esperanza, who was very unresponsive and basically said "though" as she claimed that life music could not be made lower !!!

Believe me, I am used to very loud music from 2 teenage daughters, but even this was topped on the Solstice. It became so bad that my husband did not even want to go to the life performances nor to the Sky Lounge anymore.

I've read on this msg board that there is A QUIET PLACE -- the Balcony.

Maybe the decibels are a way for Celebrity to make sure you stay in a balcony cabin.

Another factor is that the volume keeps you moving. Pick up your drink and keep moving. Now that's another way to sell more drinks -- blast you out of your comfy seat at the bar !!!

Personally, I think Celebrity should change it's name back to Chandris, a Greek ship line that needed a makeover.

Background noise/music on Infinity in March ranged from annoying in most public areas to deafening in the shopping arcade. A helpful young shop assistant, who reduced the volume so I could hear his instructions about my purchase, told me that the staff had been intructed to keep the volume high. It certainly deterred me from spending there.

Infinity's theatre offered a nightly duel for audio-dominance between band and vocalists which I found amusing, but only tolerable from the back row with fingers in my ears. The soprano won hands, but not volume, down.

Muzak was one of the minor annoyances we tolerated for interesting destinations at budget prices.

Interesting thread. This is the second time since March 2012 we have seen a thread about the loud music throughout the ships.

I wrote an email to Captains Club about it when we returned from our Solstice cruise in March and the response was an acknowledgement of the complaint and some OBC for the next cruise. I would have prefered a commitment the music would be turned down.

I encourage all who don't like the constant noise to write to Celebrity. It is only when they get direct feedback from their Clients that it will change

And, if they get lots of feedback, and it does not change, well then it's time for us as consumers to vote with our feet and find another cruise line.

My wife, the other couple we traveled with and I fit this demographic on the Infinity in April. For these 30 somethings, the music is too loud and the constant loops are annoying, especially in the Martini Bar. I started a thread about this when we returned: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1623718

I wrote to the Captain's Club a couple of days ago about the same issue. I told them I'm expecting a response about whether they intend to address the matter as it will help us to decide whether to keep our next two bookings.

We went to Celebrity from Royal Caribbean to escape children and obnoxious passengers. I like the children and obnoxious passengers better than the music in the Martini Bar. If X doesn't fix their music issues I'll go back to RCI until I find something better.

Well until now I haven´t considered about switching to another cruise line- and I have booked my next already- well I will certanly not book another one before this one is over- just to see, if anything is done about that music all the time. If I change my favorite cruise line then I would give Cunard another try or maybe Oceana.

Some mentioned that they do it to keep you moveing, to make you feel unconfortable, for whatever reason they do it- THEY SHOULD listen. I will write to Captains Club- very good idea. If those who dissagree with that blaring music do so- maybe and just maybe THEY LISTEN!

Michael

Interesting thread. DW and I did the eastbound Panama Canal on Infinity in April. We did notice the music in the Martini Bar but did not feel it was loud. I can't say I really recall music anywhere else other than the pool deck and there was cetainly no piped in music in the MDR. Of course during parties such as white night the music was loud.

Disclaimer-I was not not drinking too much. As I am now in my mid fifties maybe I have found a benefit to not hearing as well as 20 years ago:)

We were on the Equinox in April and the background music everywhere was so loud you couldn't think straight.It was very loud in the sky lounge during the day, it is a beautiful place to sit and read but it was impossible due to the noise level, the Atrium was the same.When we asked about turning the volume down to a roar the answer was'maybe for a little while but then we will have to turn it back up???? We spent a lot more time on our balcony than usual.:(

Us too. The music was horrible. I could never get away from it. The music at the Sunset Bar was particularly horrible. Who ever told Celebrity to blast music all over the ship should be made to walk the plank. Don't get me wrong I love music and listen to it all of the time. But the stuff they played on the Equinox in March/April was loud and obnoxious. I complained to Guest Services, on my comment cards early in the cruise and at the end of the cruise. I also complained in a follow up survey I received after I got home.:mad:

Archived