Charleston port - any questions

Hey Bob! Ever heard anything about the Masters Inn at Mt. Plesant?

Thanks for the help!

Well, it's CHEAP... it's got that going for it. It is in the middle of a bunch of hotel/motels near the foot of the bridge going into Charleston. Reviews run from it being a basic "hotel" with no frills to "bring a gun with you".... If it's for one night, not leaving the car, driving to the port, have to have a cheap place to stay then at least you are in Mt. Pleasant BUT if you can afford a bit more I would really recommend another hotel:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hotels+in+mt+pleasant+sc&hl=en&ll=32.798729,-79.887793&spn=0.013528,0.027874&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&fb=1&gl=us&hq=hotels&hnear=Mt+Pleasant,+Charleston,+South+Carolina&t=m&fll=32.798729,-79.887793&fspn=0.013528,0.027874&z=16

Someone recently stayed at the Shem Creek Inn and enjoyed it. It is located on Shem Creek where fishing boats tie up, has restaurants/bars on both sides in easy walking distance down pier along the creek. On the opposite of the creek are more restaurants/bars. "Creek" is really not apt as at this point it is quite wide and is flowing out into the harbor.

http://www.shemcreekinn.com/

We stayed at the Shem Creek Inn for our May 29th cruise. Nothing fancy, but we thought it was a good deal at $99 a night. The room was clean and all rooms have a balcony.They have a continental breakfast, coffee, juice, cereal, bagels, and fresh doughnuts. And like Bob said there are plenty of places to eat nearby. And I think they let you park your car there while you cruise. I would stay there again.

Just called Shem Creek for July 13-15 was a whopping $279 a night plus tax.

Goodness... Well it is our tourist season, busy and during the summer people flock to the water.

I drove by that Masters just this morning and again it's right in the middle of about 5-6 hotels, one of the older ones. I've just heard bad things thru the years.

You might try this Days Inn - as a bonus a Huddle House is attached to it, so breakfast is steps away:

http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/south-carolina/mt.-pleasant/days-inn-mount-pleasant-charleston-patriots-point/photos-video?partner_id=&hotel_id=05261&campaign_code=&checkout_date=&brand_id=DI&children=0&corporate_id&teens=0&affiliate_id=&iata=&rate_code&adults=1&checkin_date&rooms=1

I checked and your dates it's around $95 per night.

Will be leaving out in 2 days, May 9th and live within 15 minutes of the port. I will know more about the Fantasy boarding then but before/after any questions I will be happy to answer:

It's so nice of you to host this thread and answer all our questions!

My husband and I are driving up from Atlanta the day before we sail on the Fantasy (arrive Saturday 7/14, sail Sunday 7/15). We are blessed, because his dad travels a LOT and used his points to book us a room at the Mills House! (We could never justify the cost ourselves!) We're paying the fee to park at the port for the duration of the cruise.

Any advice you'd offer, especially related to embarkation? It's our first cruise, so I'm reading everything I can find about all the procedures and stuff.

Thanks!

Edited to add: I saw you recommended the round Holiday Inn to someone else. We stayed there last year for two nights, again courtesy of my father-in-law. We really liked it, except that the breakfast wasn't really very good. Other than that it was wonderful. The elevated swimming pool was especially cool, and lots of fun. :)

It's so nice of you to host this thread and answer all our questions!

My husband and I are driving up from Atlanta the day before we sail on the Fantasy (arrive Saturday 7/14, sail Sunday 7/15). We are blessed, because his dad travels a LOT and used his points to book us a room at the Mills House! (We could never justify the cost ourselves!) We're paying the fee to park at the port for the duration of the cruise.

Any advice you'd offer, especially related to embarkation? It's our first cruise, so I'm reading everything I can find about all the procedures and stuff.

Thanks!

Edited to add: I saw you recommended the round Holiday Inn to someone else. We stayed there last year for two nights, again courtesy of my father-in-law. We really liked it, except that the breakfast wasn't really very good. Other than that it was wonderful. The elevated swimming pool was especially cool, and lots of fun. :)

Nice place! The Mills house is right downtown within walking distance of the port.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=115+Meeting+Street,+Charleston,+SC&daddr=32.7809688,-79.927963+to:S+Market+St&hl=en&sll=32.779238,-79.928069&sspn=0.006765,0.013937&geocode=FQMm9AEdk1g8-ykROCDFEXr-iDHrEjdKWyacEg%3BFagy9AEdZWU8-ykJuGO0DXr-iDFIWsAUm21ykg%3BFWsz9AEdPW08-w&oq=115+meetcharleston,+sc&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=17&via=1&t=m&z=17

One thing about parking at the port... you get your car and on your way.

One thought I would have is if you are willing to walk with luggage see how much it is to leave your car in the garage at the hotel. You can self-disembark and walk back to your car (make sure to have money for parking). It would be faster than going thru all the rigamarole of leaving/getting your car at the port.

If you walk up, you leave your luggage at the porters, walk thru a gate and wait for a bus to take you to the terminal... NO ONE can walk up to the terminal. If you do park at the port a bus will take you over to the terminal.

The round HI is nice but you will love the Mills House. You will be in the middle of downtown and depending on the time getting in can wander thru the "straw market", take in a carriage ride, etc.

Have a wonderful trip/cruise... I would suggest going over to the Isle of Palms/Sullivan's Island for some beach time BUT being downtown for such short time just do the downtown stuff!

Nice place! The Mills house is right downtown within walking distance of the port.

The round HI is nice but you will love the Mills House. You will be in the middle of downtown and depending on the time getting in can wander thru the "straw market", take in a carriage ride, etc.

Have a wonderful trip/cruise... I would suggest going over to the Isle of Palms/Sullivan's Island for some beach time BUT being downtown for such short time just do the downtown stuff!

We are quite excited about staying at the Mills House! Apparently there weren't any rooms available when we visited last time; I didn't even know my FIL had asked.

We spent most of our weekend downtown and touring the Yorktown last year (loved both), so maybe we'll your advice and head to Sullivan Island. Thanks!

Edited to add: I checked on the parking issue. The Mills House, primarily because it's downtown, I'm sure, is MORE expensive than the port. So we're going to stick with the port parking. Thanks for the advice, though; I wouldn't have thought of it!

.We spent most of our weekend downtown and touring the Yorktown last year (loved both), so maybe we'll your advice and head to Sullivan Island. Thanks!

You might want to have you FIL check on hotels on the Isle of Palms. There are several oceanfront hotels plus Wild Dunes resort. Since you are going to park at the terminal anyway you might enjoy a stay at the beach rather than downtown... DON'T get me wrong the Mills House is great, just not close to the beach.

Have a wonderful time regardless,

Bob

• 3 months later...

Bobsfamily - Was wondering if you could help out with a parking question.

We are driving in the day of our cruise from Charlotte and wondered if there were any other parking sites besides the terminal. In Tampa and Jacksonville we parked off the terminal at lots that provided transportation to and from the port and we parked all week for a fee. Anything like this in Charleston? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Lu

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/special_offers/packages/stay/

The website gives hotels that offer that but you have to stay with them.

There is a Park & Go near the airport but they do not offer parking for cruises. There are plenty of parking garages downtown but no shuttle to the port and would not be much less than the port (may even be more) and less secure. Unless you are staying at a hotel in the area that offers parking AND a shuttle there really is not any place. Parking downtown is at a premium.

Have a great cruise!

Hi,

Thank you so much for doing this thread!

We are leaving on the Fantasy in January and want to stay at a hotel that provides parking. The Radisson and Sheraton at the airport, and Shem Creek all seem to be similar in price. Which would you recommend?

I believe that the Radisson and Sheraton both offer a shuttle to the port and Shem Creek doesn't, so do you have any idea about how much a taxi would be from there?

Thanks!

Can you please help me....Me and a friend are flying into Charleston on Monday, Oct 1, and won't get in until midnight.....We cruise out on Oct. 2nd, Being that we are getting in sooooo late and don't want to pay a ton of money for a couple hours....Can you suggest someplace to stay. Should we stay close to the port I'm not sure what time we depart yet. Also, we will be stay on for two days after the cruise. Any suggestions as to where we should stay. We don't have a ton of money to spend on hotels. What taxi service should we use or do the hotel have shuttle service. I'm so confused and getting stress because we are running out of time. Someone else was suppose to take care of all this and didn't. :(:confused: I thank you for any suggestion you can offer and thank you so much for this thread.

Hi,

Thank you so much for doing this thread!

We are leaving on the Fantasy in January and want to stay at a hotel that provides parking. The Radisson and Sheraton at the airport, and Shem Creek all seem to be similar in price. Which would you recommend?

I believe that the Radisson and Sheraton both offer a shuttle to the port and Shem Creek doesn't, so do you have any idea about how much a taxi would be from there?

Thanks!

OK for having a great view, a bit "safer" and much closer to the port Shem Creek would be my choice. It sits on Shem Creek which for years has been where Shrimp Boats docked. Not as many now but a very vibrant area with food/drinks along the boardwalk in front of the hotel. Jan. can be cold to mild but the places are literally about a 1 minute stroll on either side of the hotel plus several more across the "creek".... BTW the creek is quite wide. Jan. is a quite time so should be nice.

As you've noticed I did not mention anything about the hotel near the airport... There are good areas and bad areas... the hotels sit in a nice area but nothing in walking distance and some "shady" areas nearby.

As for taxi's to the pier it would be in the range of $20 each way.

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Charleston-SC&from=Shem+Creek%2C+Mount+Pleasant%2C+SC&to=East+Bay+Street%2C+Charleston%2C+SC

This site estimates the cost.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Can you please help me....Me and a friend are flying into Charleston on Monday, Oct 1, and won't get in until midnight.....We cruise out on Oct. 2nd, Being that we are getting in sooooo late and don't want to pay a ton of money for a couple hours....Can you suggest someplace to stay. Should we stay close to the port I'm not sure what time we depart yet. Also, we will be stay on for two days after the cruise. Any suggestions as to where we should stay. We don't have a ton of money to spend on hotels. What taxi service should we use or do the hotel have shuttle service. I'm so confused and getting stress because we are running out of time. Someone else was suppose to take care of all this and didn't. :(:confused: I thank you for any suggestion you can offer and thank you so much for this thread.

There is a Master's Inn in Mt. Pleasant, SC that is pretty cheap, plus you would be near the port and a cab to the port would be in the $15 range.

http://www.mastersinn.com/charleston-mt-pleasant.htm

http://be.genares.net/g/Masters?NextPage=plan_select

This is a 2 star at best but it's clean and cheap. The fare from the airport would be in the $35 range. See the post above and it has a link to a fare finder for taxis

Have a wonderful trip!

Thanks Bobsfamily.

I have another quick question. If you don't print off the luggage tags do the porters have them at the port? Do the paper ones really stay on? They look like they would rip apart in a minute.

I put clear packaging tape over and you couldn't rip them off then!

Thanks Bobsfamily.

I have another quick question. If you don't print off the luggage tags do the porters have them at the port? Do the paper ones really stay on? They look like they would rip apart in a minute.

Sorry, been busy... As another poster stated if you use packing tape over them you can make them very sturdy. Another idea is to use the photo paper you bought and never used. It's stronger than regular paper.

As to whether porters have them I seem to remember a stack but they are generic and you have to enter your info on them, slows the line down. Honestly if flying put them on after arriving in town or driving then just be a bit careful. I've never had one come off. If you fold them the way the directions state they are strong and then I use a hole punch, put a rubber band in the hole and use that to attach to the luggage.

Have a wonderful cruise!

What are the must sees and dos?

WOW, what an open ended questions:D!

Charleston has some wonderful history, some great nightlife for the size of the city. It depends on when you will be here and how much time you have. If you come the day before consider staying downtown or close to downtown. The "Market" is similar to what you might see on any carib island. It has weaved baskets made from local materials, all kinds of trinkets, food, shirts, etc. A carriage ride will give you some wonderful history and a view of the downtown historical areas. Several plantations in the area.

Check out this website:

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/

And depending on the time of year the islands are great for beach time:

http://iop.net/Visitors/Default.aspx

http://www.kiawahresort.com/about-the-resort/

http://www.sullivansisland-sc.com/visitors.aspx

Plantations:

http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/

http://boonehallplantation.com/

https://www.middletonplace.org/

http://www.draytonhall.org/

Have a great time and enjoy your cruise!

Hey Bob, can you help me with some info please. Hoping on the Fantasy tuesday, nov. 13th. We booked a room the night before departure and I'm curious if we made a good decision. Never been to Charleston B4. Driving in on monday and staying at LaQuinta Riverview, West Ashley. Free parking and breakfast! Cheap rate and they say a reduced taxi rate to get to port. Is this hotel ok? Is there any monday happyhour or evening bars/entertainment nearby? Please let me know your opinion. I can change if you think I shoud. Thanks, fflashh

Hey Bob, can you help me with some info please. Hoping on the Fantasy tuesday, nov. 13th. We booked a room the night before departure and I'm curious if we made a good decision. Never been to Charleston B4. Driving in on monday and staying at LaQuinta Riverview, West Ashley. Free parking and breakfast! Cheap rate and they say a reduced taxi rate to get to port. Is this hotel ok? Is there any monday happyhour or evening bars/entertainment nearby? Please let me know your opinion. I can change if you think I shoud. Thanks, fflashh

Never stayed at it but not a bad neighborhood. Not to far from the port.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g54171-d97054-Reviews-La_Quinta_Inn_Suites_Charleston_Riverview-Charleston_South_Carolina.html

Some reviews from Tripadvisor.

You should be OK, the only other option I would suggest is one of the hotels in Mt. Pleasant but again you should be fine.

It's close to California Dreaming which has good food and great views. Other places would be a drive.

Archived