Charleston port - any questions

My husband and I are cruising out of Charleston in March, and have narrowed our pre-cruise hotel down to the Shem Creek Inn or the Holiday-Inn Riverview (the round one). The prices are comparable and they both offer free parking for the duration of the cruise. Anyone have a preference towards one or the other? We come to Charleston almost every October, but usually stay at the Barksdale House downtown - which doesn't offer the free parking pre-cruise - so we're looking to stay outside downtown this time.

bobsfamily, do you think its possible for us to unload our luggage, have husband drop me & the kids at the warehouse THEN him be able to leave the port, drop car off at friends house & have said friend drive him back to the port?? I know ALL this just to save a few $$ but hey , you think we will have a problem? :D We have cruised MANY times but never out of Charleston, its gonna be great since we wont have that 8 hour drive home :p.

• 3 weeks later...
bobsfamily, do you think its possible for us to unload our luggage, have husband drop me & the kids at the warehouse THEN him be able to leave the port, drop car off at friends house & have said friend drive him back to the port?? I know ALL this just to save a few $$ but hey , you think we will have a problem? :D We have cruised MANY times but never out of Charleston, its gonna be great since we wont have that 8 hour drive home :p.

Sorry been away for a while... If you have not left yet the answer is yes... but the best bet is to get there around 10:30 am, drop off luggage and then let you and the kids out at the Market on East Bay for a bit of shopping. He can drive to friends house, get them to drop him off with you and then all can go to the check-in at the end of East Bay St. right at the port. There is a check in for walk-ups as many do this. One note PLEASE make sure you have all passports/documents/ID's with you and not in the suitcase/your car.

Have a wonderful trip (if you have not gone yet!)

My husband and I are cruising out of Charleston in March, and have narrowed our pre-cruise hotel down to the Shem Creek Inn or the Holiday-Inn Riverview (the round one). The prices are comparable and they both offer free parking for the duration of the cruise. Anyone have a preference towards one or the other? We come to Charleston almost every October, but usually stay at the Barksdale House downtown - which doesn't offer the free parking pre-cruise - so we're looking to stay outside downtown this time.

Shem Creek is nice in that several restaurants/bars are in walking (very short) distance - right down the boardwalk.

BUT the Riverview has great views from the room. No place really to walk though (except a Huddle House) and of the 2 I think the car would be safer at Shem Creek.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Bob, what do you think of the Mt Pleasant Holiday Inn Express @ 350 Johnnie Dodds Blvd. They offer the park and shuttle thing. Hotel claims to only be 5 years old is that possible.

Thanks in Advance

There has been a FULL service Holiday Inn near there for years but the Holiday Day Inn Express is about that old. Difference - the express you get free breakfast, at the full it has a restaurant. Not a bad place and the car should be fine.

I would check out some of the other comments on this thread for options.

Have a great cruise... Love the Fantasy.

bobsfamily,

I got the stay and cruise package for $89 at

Sleep Inn

Charleston, SC

1524 Savannah Hwy

Charleston, SC 29407

Ok place? Safe for car and such?

Well, the best thing I can say about it is, not bad price. It is in the middle of a lot of car lots, does have plenty of food nearby. It's closer to the port than being in North Charleston but about 6 miles away. I guess what I am trying to say is if you are just wanting a place to crash after a long ride and don't care about views it might be OK... I did read that the offered "ride" to the ship is $10 per person each way. If you have 4 people it's almost as much as paying for parking at the port. A couple of people have stated that mold or cigarette smell was very strong in the rooms. Most have stated that the staff was wonderful, just a run down old building. It is in a part of West Ashley that is sort of industrial looking with all the car lots.

You might want to try this one in Mt. Pleasant... it's in a hotel area but not industrial.

http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-mount_pleasant-south_carolina-SC036

Have a wonderful cruise!

Bob's Family.. may have convinced me to do the Shem Creek Inn.. looks nice.

Shem Creek would be a great choice if you can get it for a reasonable price. During the summer months it's pretty high but otherwise it's usually a good deal. The only thing is that the parking lot is not just the Inn's but also has restaurants/bars that use it but it is well lit and patrolled by the cops. Other hotels may have a private lot but are not as patrolled. It does have plenty of food choices literally right out the door along a boardwalk facing the "creek". The creek at this point is pretty wide and has lots of boat traffic.

I would recommend it. Several people have used it recently and loved it.

Bob

I assume it's easy to get a taxi, do you have any idea how much that would be from there? I can get the room for $79.

Great rate, during the summer it can be over $200.

Here is a cab company in Mt. Pleasant:

http://www.mpshuttle.com/cruise-ship-transportation/

Another is Crazy Carl... I've used him before but as the reviews state you either like him or hate him:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/crazy-carl-cab-mt-pleasant

Some other ones:

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=taxis&find_loc=Mt+Pleasant%2C+SC

It seems that it would be in the $8-10 range each way, same as you would have paid for the "shuttle" from the other hotel.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Just booked the Shem Creek Inn for Feb, 2013 at a great rate $79 for 2 queen room.

Several of the other park and cruise including the HI had double beds :(

This looks to be a good deal!

Great rate. Feb is usually the coldest month for Charleston so not a lot of tourists, except for Wildlife week(end). It's the 15-17th this year so you must have booked at another time. Do remember that the lot is a common lot for several businesses on the creek... it is patrolled.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Does anyone have any info regarding the North Charleston Inn? I see where their rate is $89.99 per night for their "Park & Cruise" rate. I use to live in Summerville and know exactly where this hotel is and the best that I can remember, it wasn't all that great 17 years ago. Has there been any renovations lately? Would you recommend this hotel? We just need a place to leave our cars (4) during the cruise without having to pay the $85 each at the port.

:cool:Bill

Does anyone have any info regarding the North Charleston Inn? I see where their rate is $89.99 per night for their "Park & Cruise" rate. I use to live in Summerville and know exactly where this hotel is and the best that I can remember, it wasn't all that great 17 years ago. Has there been any renovations lately? Would you recommend this hotel? We just need a place to leave our cars (4) during the cruise without having to pay the $85 each at the port.

:cool:Bill

Bill,

I would not leave my enemies car at that "hotel". It looks to have been remodeled and is near an area that has been cleaned up with lots of new shops, coliseum, etc. BUT the area is still not very nice, especially after dark. I would not chance leaving 4 cars for 5 or more nights. One other factor to consider it that it's generally one car per room so for 3 of the cars you would be paying extra to park unless you are getting 4 rooms.

I would suggest something in Mt. Pleasant, parts of West Ashley, the "round" Holiday Inn. That area in N.C. is just to iffy to leave for multiple cars (or even one)

I'm cruising with a group (15 cabins) and have 15 tote bags filled with goodies for each cabin that I would like to give to each person when they arrive at the port. Everyone is travelling in separately, so varied arrival times. Any ideas on how best to manage this? Is there a central point for meeting up once you get to the port? the bags are large boat totes (lands end type), so imagine 15 of those filled w/ stuff, so cumbersome...

I'm cruising with a group (15 cabins) and have 15 tote bags filled with goodies for each cabin that I would like to give to each person when they arrive at the port. Everyone is travelling in separately, so varied arrival times. Any ideas on how best to manage this? Is there a central point for meeting up once you get to the port? the bags are large boat totes (lands end type), so imagine 15 of those filled w/ stuff, so cumbersome...

WOW! I'm sure everyone will be happy once onboard but to carry onboard it must be able to fit in the "box", pretty much what you would have to board a plane. Generally cabins are not ready til after 1:30 so anything the people were carrying on themselves plus your goodie bag would need to be with them til the cabin was ready. Remember that water/soda/one bottle of wine per 21 YO must be carried onboard as anything in check luggage will be confiscated.

I just wanted you to be aware, now as to a meeting place.. it kinda hectic and a very unique experience at the Charleston port. You are literally shuttled to the entrance on buses that go a short way. Because of that once you get to the port you are urged toward a line to go thru security, then on to lines to get sign and sail cards. You would want to get the group together prior to getting on the bus. There is a small meeting area for waiting on the buses and I don't think you want to carry 15 bags thru security... AND a 12 pack of coke/water whatever is the most each person can carry on so if that is one of the items in the goodie bag you will have to hand them out prior. Honestly I would contact Carnival and arrange something to have the bags onboard. Great idea but could be hard on the recipients.

Good Luck and have a great cruise!

I am a little confused about the process. Bob, I am originally from Johns Island and my parents will drop my wife and I off for our Jan 19th cruise.

I know that there is an area where the porters are and then you take a shuttle to the pier, but have also read you can just walk up to the pier.

What is the best way for us to be dropped off at? Can we be dropped off by the market and walk up with our luggage or do we have to be dropped off somewhere specific?

I am a little confused about the process. Bob, I am originally from Johns Island and my parents will drop my wife and I off for our Jan 19th cruise.

I know that there is an area where the porters are and then you take a shuttle to the pier, but have also read you can just walk up to the pier.

What is the best way for us to be dropped off at? Can we be dropped off by the market and walk up with our luggage or do we have to be dropped off somewhere specific?

You can be dropped off very near the pier but must take a bus to the actual entrance. It's strange but if you go around 11ish you can be dropped with luggage and your luggage will be checked in, your documents viewed and allowed thru a gate to wait your turn on the buses. They have them lined up and you get on one with carry-on, documents, etc. and go a very short distance to the entrance. Another alternate is to go a little before 10am, get in line for cars, tell them you are dropping off luggage. Once done with the luggage you will be shown a way to leave and then later you can be dropped off with carry-on... you still will do the bus thing but not have to worry about checked luggage. Remember to keep documents!

WOW! I'm sure everyone will be happy once onboard but to carry onboard it must be able to fit in the "box", pretty much what you would have to board a plane.

Is this unique to Charleston? I've always been able to carry on as much as I can carry. True, I don't want to carry on everything, but no other ports make you measure your carry on bags like the airlines do. We've always had at least 2 or 3 carry ons to put our drinks in, sometimes a change of clothes or swimsuits, etc.

Is this unique to Charleston? I've always been able to carry on as much as I can carry. True, I don't want to carry on everything, but no other ports make you measure your carry on bags like the airlines do. We've always had at least 2 or 3 carry ons to put our drinks in, sometimes a change of clothes or swimsuits, etc.

On our last cruise out of Port Canaveral our bags had to fit through the security scanner...

Isn't it the same?

On our last cruise out of Port Canaveral our bags had to fit through the security scanner...

Isn't it the same?

Yes they must fit thru the scanner... and yes you can take on multiple "carry-ons". They do have a size limitation but it is not always enforce very strongly. If it will not fit into the scanner it will be rejected and it can be for size also. The worst that will happen is you are pulled aside and your luggage must be "checked". Between the bus ride and the quite long walk up an rather steep incline to the ship might be the reason for a bit more scrutiny on bag size. Last time we had a rolling suitcase that would fit for airfare, a backpack, large purse and had no problem. Behind was someone with one of the rolling duffel bags and a suitcase big enough to stuff a body in along with several smaller items. They did not make it thru with all the luggage and had to check the larger items which slowed down the process. Jet letting you know, and yes it does seem to be unique to Charleston.

Hang up wardrobe bags will fit through the scanner...I guess because they aren't too bulky (though I hate it when people bring those on planes, because they take up a lot of overhead space...but I digress...:D )

We usually have a couple of rolling bags and a backpack, but I know I see others with what looks like all their luggage (smaller bags, but many of them). I prefer to check most of my bags, but since the drink rule was changed (not allowed to check them anymore), we always have the rolling bags for drinks.

Archived