Charleston port - any questions

We're sailing on the Fantasy in a few weeks. We sailed from Charleston 6 years ago but took a cab to the port. This time we're driving and I just want to be clear on the process. As I understand it, there's a line of cars to get in to drop off luggage then another line to get in for parking in the warehouse. From there shuttles take you to the terminal. Is that correct and is it clearly marked with signs where to go?

We're sailing on the Fantasy in a few weeks. We sailed from Charleston 6 years ago but took a cab to the port. This time we're driving and I just want to be clear on the process. As I understand it, there's a line of cars to get in to drop off luggage then another line to get in for parking in the warehouse. From there shuttles take you to the terminal. Is that correct and is it clearly marked with signs where to go?

If parking at the port you will get in ONE line for all. You will drop off your luggage at one stop, show your documents, then follow the line to where you will park. From there you will take a shuttle to the port. Some decide to walk (not sure why) from parking garage to the port where they find they have to wait to get on a shuttle to the port... Again, only one line, which can be long... but fairly quick.

Have a wonderful cruise!

If parking at the port you will get in ONE line for all. You will drop off your luggage at one stop, show your documents, then follow the line to where you will park. From there you will take a shuttle to the port. Some decide to walk (not sure why) from parking garage to the port where they find they have to wait to get on a shuttle to the port... Again, only one line, which can be long... but fairly quick.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks.

Is that correct and is it clearly marked with signs where to go?

It is simple as can be. We got there a day early and drove by just to make sure we knew how to get over there. Very simple - signs all over for the cruise port.

Just make sure no-one leaves a dome light on you car. Makes leaving the cruise port a little more "fun"

Where is a parking garage located near the ship??? I don't recall seein one 3 years ago when we were there.

Also it is my understandng that a vehicle with a handicap tag/license plate doesn't have to pay to park at the port. Is this true?

:cool:Bill

Where is a parking garage located near the ship??? I don't recall seein one 3 years ago when we were there.

Also it is my understandng that a vehicle with a handicap tag/license plate doesn't have to pay to park at the port. Is this true?

:cool:Bill

There is one at port. There is a shuttle bus that takes you to the front entrance to the terminal. A South Carolina handicap tag will do that and I think other states are honored but not sure. You can call them:

South Carolina Ports Authority Cruise Line

Telephone: 843–958–8298

E-mail: cruises@scspa.com

to make sure. They have handicapped equipped shuttle buses if needed.

Have a great cruise!

From what I've been reading, if we're driving to the port and parking there, we should not arrive any earlier than 11AM. Is that correct or is that too early.

Around 10:30 is when they "normally" allow cars to get in line to drop off luggage and park. It sometimes is a bit later but the port has a long winding "course" on port property to hold a long line. The line goes fairly quickly but being towards the beginning is always nice. The other part is the ride on a shuttle bus to the entrance of the terminal. It will not start running until the terminal is ready for passengers which seems to be about noonish or maybe a bit earlier. Once they start running, you get to the terminal, go thru security, get in line, get your sign/sail cards, get a welcome pic (we bypass this) and start a long walk up to the ship.... NO WAIT usually.

Have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you bob for all the wonderful info, it is making my cruise planning way smoother!

We are leaving June 29th on the Fantasy and are still debating whether to stay in the historic district and pay for parking at the port or to do a park n cruise package listed on the link you provided. My husband really likes the convenience of parking at the port so we are leaning towards that but the hotel prices are so high when we are coming in that we may opt for a cheaper (?) option. Still researching.

Question for you since I've never sailed out of Charleston. However we decide to get to the port, we will be meeting my mother there who is staying at an airport hotel. I'm trying to piece together the prior info you've provided on shuttle buses, etc. at the port but am still confused - is there a good place for her to meet us prior to getting on the ship or should we give up hope for this and just connect on the ship after boarding?

Thanks!

Thank you bob for all the wonderful info, it is making my cruise planning way smoother!

We are leaving June 29th on the Fantasy and are still debating whether to stay in the historic district and pay for parking at the port or to do a park n cruise package listed on the link you provided. My husband really likes the convenience of parking at the port so we are leaning towards that but the hotel prices are so high when we are coming in that we may opt for a cheaper (?) option. Still researching.

Question for you since I've never sailed out of Charleston. However we decide to get to the port, we will be meeting my mother there who is staying at an airport hotel. I'm trying to piece together the prior info you've provided on shuttle buses, etc. at the port but am still confused - is there a good place for her to meet us prior to getting on the ship or should we give up hope for this and just connect on the ship after boarding?

Thanks!

I personally would opt for a stay downtown if never visiting Charleston before. The cost might be up there but you will be able to walk right out into history. As for mother the best way to get together is to go pick her up and all go to the port together. If that is not possible then in reality meeting onboard might be best. Once you do the shuttle you will understand.It is hard to explain.

Have a great trip.

Thanks for your reply. I was able to convince mom to stay in the historical district along with us. We'll be at the same hotel now and will just drive over to the port and use the parking there. 60 days and counting!

You will have a great time and yes that's the best for mom. Once you see the shuttle system you will understand. MAKE sure you have your travel documents (passport/boarding pass) in your hand when you drop off you luggage. It is almost impossible to retrieve the luggage to get it out if you forget... Just saying...

• 4 weeks later...
Looking at all the ghost tours for Charleston. What are your recommendations?

It's been years since I did one... I'm sure any of them would be fine.

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/?category_id=3&search=ghost

Above is a partial list. Have a great time... Charleston has a rich history of ghosts. pirates and all things spooky.

Wondering were the best Laundry would be in Charleston. We will need to do some wash after our cruise as we will be on the road for a week after the cruise. We will park our car at the port, so will be coming from there. Thanks

Can anyone find out for me what the cab fare would be from the Charleston airport to the Wingate hotel near Charleston Southern University for 4 people??? My sister and her family will be arriving at CHS and need taken to the hotel. Would like to be able to let her know what the fare would be so she isn't surprised. She will be arriving on July 15th. Thanks!

:cool: Bill

Wondering were the best Laundry would be in Charleston. We will need to do some wash after our cruise as we will be on the road for a week after the cruise. We will park our car at the port, so will be coming from there. Thanks

Depending on the amount you might just try the laundry onboard. It's not to expensive and is delivered to your room. They have some sort of special for several bags.

If not that can you tell me which way you are going... IE up I-26 towards I-95 or up 7 towards Myrtle Beach or down towards Savannah? I can better get you an idea. I think you are looking for a laundromat where you can wash and dry without right?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=laundromats+in+Charleston,+SC&hl=en&ll=32.81166,-79.915924&spn=0.109504,0.222988&sll=33.624497,-80.926614&sspn=6.940762,14.27124&oq=laundromats+in+charlest&hq=laundromats&hnear=Charleston,+South+Carolina&t=m&fll=32.807765,-79.968281&fspn=0.109509,0.222988&z=13

The above is a list around town. Again give me an idea of your direction and I will try to get you a better response.

Have a great cruise and again consider doing it onboard... in fact they do have coin operated laundry onboard (I'm pretty sure).

Archived