Leaving baby in nursery while on excursion?

Hi,

My husband and I will be on Rhapsody of the Seas in July with our 8 month old daughter. We are considering trying to leave her in the new Royal Nursery while we are in Juneau, so we can take a helicopter excursion. Does anyone know if 1) this is allowed? and 2) Has anyone done it? I'm a little nervous leaving our baby on the ship while we venture off, what if something happened while we're gone? Any advice or your experiences would be helpful to hear. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

My husband and I will be on Rhapsody of the Seas in July with our 8 month old daughter. We are considering trying to leave her in the new Royal Nursery while we are in Juneau, so we can take a helicopter excursion. Does anyone know if 1) this is allowed? and 2) Has anyone done it? I'm a little nervous leaving our baby on the ship while we venture off, what if something happened while we're gone? Any advice or your experiences would be helpful to hear. Thanks in advance.

I would never, too many things could go wrong: baby could get sick, parents could be delayed on excursion, or worse...

I would also agree with the above poster. I would never leave my 8 month on a ship without someone I personally know, just in case we would get delayed. Anything can happen when you are off the ship, especially on a helicopter ride.

If you want to do something like that and not take the infant, you should leave the infant at home with a loved one.

It's allowed, but....many folks wouldn't think of leaving their child on the ship while they are not there. It's up to you.

I'm not sure what would happen if there were no family members on the cruise to take over care of the child, should something happen to you while on excursion!

I would do it ONLY if I were just strolling into port for a short time.

On Disney in 2001, the Capt had to send a lifeboat back to the pier shortly after we sailed because 2 parents had missed the ship and they had children in the kids club. :eek:

Not sure if all Capts have to do that if minor children are left behind on board. I wonder what the policy is for that...

I absolutely agree with the other posters, do not leave the baby unless you have relatives on board incase there is an emergency. We took a family cruise in January and my daughter and son-in-law took a ship sponsored excursion that was delayed, thank goodness we were in charge of the 2 year old granddaughter on board. They were the last tender to leave the port, and she was freaking out.....and she knew that the baby was ok with us. Imagine how you would feel if the ship left and you weren't on it!

Personally I couldn't do it, especially doing a helicopter tour.

Now to make light of the situation, you could take me along as your personal baby sitter! I come with lots of experience...mom of 2 and 6 grand kids! ;)

Good luck with making this decision, its hard enough traveling with a baby, let alone trying to have some free time to enjoy yourself. :)

I was nervous leaving our four year-old daughter on the ship during our first cruise, and that was just a beach day in Cozumel. I can't imagine leaving an infant on board, especially taking what many would consider a riskier excursion.

I know some people get a kick out of sitting on their balconies as they leave port and watching people run to (and miss) the ship.

My WORST cruise memory was pulling out of Mexico, and seeing a couple jump out of a taxi and start screaming and waving at the ship. They looked panicked.

I was sick to my stomach, thinking that they might have kids onboard. So I wouldn't chance it!

(PS- Captain sent a tender out for them to bring them back to the ship. Crew said they had NEVER seen that done before.)

I know some people get a kick out of sitting on their balconies as they leave port and watching people run to (and miss) the ship.

My WORST cruise memory was pulling out of Mexico, and seeing a couple jump out of a taxi and start screaming and waving at the ship. They looked panicked.

I was sick to my stomach, thinking that they might have kids onboard. So I wouldn't chance it!

(PS- Captain sent a tender out for them to bring them back to the ship. Crew said they had NEVER seen that done before.)

Another bunch of idiots who should have been left behind to teach them to watch the time and also to serve as an example for others.

DON

Ah, yes, my favorite pasttime . . .

One of the reasons for a balcony ... sorry not to be mean ... ;)

But I agree with all the other posters...my DD will be 13 on our next cruise, and unless we were just going to shore for a quick second I wouldn't leave her behind...I don't know that I would no matter what...

Yes, a mothers instinct is always on point, you would be wise to either skip the helicopter ride or bring someone with who can baby-sit so you and your DH can have some alone time here and there. With a baby at home; alone time is something you do not have very often.

Good luck & enjoy your cruise!! :)

The best free excursion in Cozumel...

The Running of the Drunks

Brought to you by Senor Frogs ;)

In all seriousness though I wouldn't leave my infant on the ship without someone from my family/friends on board unless I was just hopping off to go to the pier shops for an hour or so... Can't imagine if you got delayed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they offer that service for an 8 month child, do it.

Our kids spent alot of time at the cruise camps when they were little(They were not babies at the time).

Everything was always fine..

I know I'll probably take some heat for this but, I would never bring an infant on a cruise ship...just not safe and I don't see how the adults get to really relax and enjoy themselves. There are other family-type vacations better suited for the younger kids. I personnally believe ages 6-8 are soon enough for the first cruise...(even with Disney!) Just my opinion. And NO...do not leave your baby on the ship while you go ashore...not speaking from experience but it's my mother instinct talking.:)

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I was feeling hesitant and now I can see I'm not overreacting. :)

You answered your own question - what if something happened?:eek:

I just recently read on this board a thread about people missing the ship for whatever reason. Someone posted that on a cruise they were on, a couple left their baby on the ship and went on a private tour. They were late getting back, missed the ship and had to find their own way back to Florida. The baby spent the last two days of the cruise in the care of the ship's nursery employees at a very high hourly rate.

I wouldn't leave the ship without my kids.

DH and I will be leaving DD who is 8 yrs old onboard in the kids club this summer when we cruise to Alaska while we take a ship's excursion.

Worked fine last November when we went shopping in St. Thomas and she didn't want to come, so she stayed in the kids club then too- her choice.

I don't know that I would feel comfortable taking a helicopter ride and leaving her onboard alone, but then, I'm not comfortable taking a helicopter ride at all- that's why she and DH are signed up for that excursion and I'm staying onboard that day.

trust your instinct and make the right choice for you.

I know I'll probably take some heat for this but, I would never bring an infant on a cruise ship...just not safe and I don't see how the adults get to really relax and enjoy themselves. There are other family-type vacations better suited for the younger kids. I personnally believe ages 6-8 are soon enough for the first cruise...(even with Disney!) Just my opinion. And NO...do not leave your baby on the ship while you go ashore...not speaking from experience but it's my mother instinct talking.:)

I definitely agree with not bringing an infant on a cruise ship!

If they offer that service for an 8 month child, do it.

Our kids spent alot of time at the cruise camps when they were little(They were not babies at the time).

Everything was always fine..

This child isn't little, shes an infant. Nothing bad can happen at the hands of strangers without someone providing them the opportunity. I realize you can't go through life thinking the worst, however, I'll take my chances with other things besides my kids.

The question of should she leave the child should never have been asked, the answer is obvious and if it isn't, shame on the parents for not paying attention to what goes on in this world these days. In addition, a helicopter excursion, what would happen to the baby if something went wrong? Stay home or bring the baby with you everywhere, all the time.

Archived