What to do in Toulon, France??????

Oklahoma Dreaming

We docked in Toulon on a Sunday as well (Liberty of the Seas, Oct 2012) and, fortunately a couple we met here on CC had booked a wine tour with Provence Wine Tours. They shared the tour with three other couples, including us. Yes, I know, all of the websites will tell you the wineries are closed Sundays. Contact this company. They hosted one for us and it was fabulous!

http://www.provencewinetours.com/

I can honestly say there is nothing to do in Toulon!

Buy some lavender soap?? That is all I did. We did take the little tourist train.

We just got back from an NCL cruise and decided to use Toulon as a do nothing day and that is exactly what it was.

I am not even sure if it was worth the boat ride as due to bad weather we ended up docking at La Seyne Sur Mer.

In hindsight maybe we should have booked some kind of tour-any tour-why are the ships even stopping here was the question most of the cruisers were asking.

Truly nothing there...... but Toulon is the gateway to Provence which is a really nice area.

We will also be in Toulon on a Sunday next August. I'd like to make it a low key day since many of the subsequent port days on our cruise will be very full, and am hoping there is something pleasant to do in Toulon.

We also wanted an "easy" day here. We ended up booking the ships tour "Aix-en-Provence" 1/2 day tour. It was pretty much an "on your own" tour with a guide who gave us some info/history/background on the area during the bus ride but then when we arrived in Aix we had about 3 hrs to explore/shop/eat on our own. We had a meeting place and time to be back and it was perfect day. Not too much - not too little. Aix en Provence is a beautiful area (they took us to the historic area) and we enjoyed walking around finding a gourmet cook shop, an antique book store, a deserted little church where the organist was practicing, a wonderful candy store and even enjoyed some crepes and coffee on the main boulevard. Just another option :)

So for a first timer, you suggest Cassis over Aix? We are sailing in on Celebrity, and have most of the day to spend there.

We are younger, and do not mind put some miles on the sneakers. Adventure and memorable experiences are what we are looking for over more shopping.

We are also on the Equinox on Nov 26. Toulon is the only port I have not made a decision on. Have you decided to do Cassis and Aix on your own? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

We also stopped in Toulon while on the Brilliance of the Seas and made it pretty much a down day. As mentioned above, we took the train tour, got off in town, and walked around the outdoor market. However, look for a bakery, get a baguette and some wine, and head down to the waterfront for a relaxing time. The Boss hit the ceramic shops along the waterfront while I helped maintain the local wine makers profit margin on the plus side.

Enjoy.

Z and TB

Archived