Celebrity silhouette cruisers beware

After completing a 13 night transatlantic cruise on the Silhouette it became exceedingly obvious to almost everyone onboard that Celebrity Cruises and this ship have taken nickel and diming of passengers to a new dimension on a ship that is VERY poorly passenger-oriented in design and which is ambient cold IN DÉCOR bordering on the austere - all in an effort to pretentiously effect a modernistic look. IT FAILED FOR ALL OF US.

After completing a 13 night transatlantic cruise on the Silhouette it became exceedingly obvious to almost everyone onboard that Celebrity Cruises and this ship have taken nickel and diming of passengers to a new dimension on a ship that is VERY poorly passenger-oriented in design and which is ambient cold IN DÉCOR bordering on the austere - all in an effort to pretentiously effect a modernistic look. IT FAILED FOR ALL OF US.

Can you elaborate?

Firstly, is this your first cruise? if not, which lines are you comparing it to and what difference are you comparing? (as to nickel and diming)

What areas are poorly designed?

I think you are right ....

unfortunately, I think the 2 posts are all we are going to get from the OP.

I really appreciate balanced reviews and info that gives the reader enough info to do more research or dig deeper.

This post did none of that

Celebrity Silhouette was my 45th cruise - but first with Celebrity. I sent Celebrity my long detailed evaluation of the non-passenger oriented Silhouette identifying specifics of what this ship is imposing on cruisers. I have sailed on small ships, large ships, mega ships, old ships, not so old ships and new ships - all cruise lines including cruise lines and ships no longer in existence. If anyone would like a copy of that evaluation just let me know and I will email or mail it to you. For those who doubt what I have indicated - here's one item - There is no way to hear the P.A. system announcments in the cabin via interactive TV OR speaker in the cabin - you have to open the cabin door to hear what it is being announced. EVEN THE CAPTAIN didn't know about this until a passeger asked the question at the Captain's open forum. Good thing we didn't have an emergency on the cruise - we wouldn't have known about it if we were in the cabin. THERE'S A LOT MORE!

To identify the nickel and diming here it is:

1. NICKEL & DIMING EVERYWHERE on this ship became tiresome and offensive – NOWHERE to get snacks or coffee other than main eateries the Dining Room, the Buffet, the Aqua Spa Cafe which are all AFT on this ship WITHOUT BEING CHARGED. Everything else except room service and a tiny little HIDEAWAY on Deck 7 AFT which does have a FREEBIE coffee, became a dollar sign. Take a look at this list of all the “pay for” dining or snack areas and their costs:

ALTERNATIVE DINING with added charges:

BLU: ONLY AVAILABLE to passengers in AquaClass staterooms. Caste system at work?

QSINE: $40 pp INCLUDES GRATUITY - few know this and foolishly most add a tip.

LAWN CLUB GRILLE: $40 pp INCLUDES GRATUITY -few know this and add another tip.

MURANO: $35 pp – INCLUDES GRATUITY – few know this and add another tip.

TUSCAN GRILLE: $25 pp INCLUDES GRATUITY –few know this and add another tip.

BETWEEN MEAL SNACK AREAS WITH ADDED CHARGES + GRATUITY:

BISTRO ON FIVE: GRAND FOYER Deck 5 - $5 pp cover charge plus 15% gratuity for each pp order. I paid $5.56 for small cup of regular coffee in mid morning with only canned music playing. No wonder it was so empty and I found a vacant chair ON THE DECK OUTSIDE THE BISTRO.

CAFE IL BACIO & GALETERIA: GRAND FOYER Deck 5-offerings are priced FOR PURCHASE off the menu and NOT included with cruise rate and they add a gratuity.

THE PORCH: Deck 14 next to LAWN CLUB - $5 pp charge plus gratuity to eat here.

PLUS all the "special events" you can attend like the Wine Tasting that has what ??? A CHARGE!

To identify the nickel and diming here it is:

1. NICKEL & DIMING EVERYWHERE on this ship became tiresome and offensive – NOWHERE to get snacks or coffee other than main eateries the Dining Room, the Buffet, the Aqua Spa Cafe which are all AFT on this ship WITHOUT BEING CHARGED. Everything else except room service and a tiny little HIDEAWAY on Deck 7 AFT which does have a FREEBIE coffee, became a dollar sign. Take a look at this list of all the “pay for” dining or snack areas and their costs:

ALTERNATIVE DINING with added charges:

BLU: ONLY AVAILABLE to passengers in AquaClass staterooms. Caste system at work?

QSINE: $40 pp INCLUDES GRATUITY - few know this and foolishly most add a tip.

LAWN CLUB GRILLE: $40 pp INCLUDES GRATUITY -few know this and add another tip.

MURANO: $35 pp – INCLUDES GRATUITY – few know this and add another tip.

TUSCAN GRILLE: $25 pp INCLUDES GRATUITY –few know this and add another tip.

BETWEEN MEAL SNACK AREAS WITH ADDED CHARGES + GRATUITY:

BISTRO ON FIVE: GRAND FOYER Deck 5 - $5 pp cover charge plus 15% gratuity for each pp order. I paid $5.56 for small cup of regular coffee in mid morning with only canned music playing. No wonder it was so empty and I found a vacant chair ON THE DECK OUTSIDE THE BISTRO.

CAFE IL BACIO & GALETERIA: GRAND FOYER Deck 5-offerings are priced FOR PURCHASE off the menu and NOT included with cruise rate and they add a gratuity.

THE PORCH: Deck 14 next to LAWN CLUB - $5 pp charge plus gratuity to eat here.

PLUS all the "special events" you can attend like the Wine Tasting that has what ??? A CHARGE!

As stated before, not sure how Celebrity differs on alternative to FREE MDR charges. How is specialty dining charges nickel and diming?

This is an option to the MDR, a premium if one choose to partake of it.

You have listed all the charge per use alternative dining options, which are similar to almost all other lines.

With the exception of high end premium lines , where all is available and included in your MUCH HIGHER rate.

It was pointed out to me long ago, the basics are included in your cruise rate, should you want more, your are welcomed to pay for it, there are plenty of free options, in fact our Celebrity cruise was absolutely the best of other lines, afternoon sushi, ice cream, drinks and coffee at the buffet , many others such as pizza station, sandwich station, and a large assortment of pastries and afternoon snacks. ALL FREE.

All cruise lines are in business to make profits, they will not even break even if there were not premium offerings or alcohol for a charge.

We have never ventured out or felt the need to partake of the alternative dining options for a charge, nor have I felt cheated because they were not free.

Just my 2 cents

Most of us appreciated that the daily announcement wasn't piped into the SRs...that is standard on all Celebrity cruises so I'm afraid you are confused if you thought the Capt didn't know. If there is a real emergency, it is 'piped' into the SRs and all hear it.

And Celebrity usually only has one announcment each day, which is also greatly appreciated....by most.

All you've done is listed out what is standard additional costs for specialty restaurants. And as for your $5 coffee, the Bistro On 5 charges $5pp and you can order as much (or as little) as you want for that $5...you could have had a dozen crepes, deserts and panninis along with your coffee...that was your choice.

Den

to identify the nickel and diming here it is:

1. nickel & diming everywhere on this ship became tiresome and offensive – nowhere to get snacks or coffee other than main eateries the dining room, the buffet, the aqua spa cafe which are all aft on this ship without being charged. Everything else except room service and a tiny little hideaway on deck 7 aft which does have a freebie coffee, became a dollar sign. take a look at this list of all the “pay for” dining or snack areas and their costs:

alternative dining with added charges:

blu: only available to passengers in aquaclass staterooms. caste system at work?

qsine: $40 pp includes gratuity - few know this and foolishly most add a tip.

lawn club grille: $40 pp includes gratuity -few know this and add another tip.

murano: $35 pp – includes gratuity – few know this and add another tip.

tuscan grille: $25 pp includes gratuity –few know this and add another tip.

between meal snack areas with added charges + gratuity:

bistro on five: grand foyer deck 5 - $5 pp cover charge plus 15% gratuity for each pp order. I paid $5.56 for small cup of regular coffee in mid morning with only canned music playing. No wonder it was so empty and i found a vacant chair on the deck outside the bistro.

cafe il bacio & galeteria: grand foyer deck 5-offerings are priced for purchase off the menu and not included with cruise rate and they add a gratuity.

the porch: deck 14 next to lawn club - $5 pp charge plus gratuity to eat here.

plus all the "special events" you can attend like the wine tasting that has what ??? A charge!

It is not necessary to use each post with a rant on celebrity. We get your dissapointment!

No the Captain DIDN'T know - he was taken by surprise with the passenger's question and when he recovered and then responded "I will have to look into that"

HE WAS A BIT SHAKEN AND EXTREMELY SINCERE. He was the best thing about this ship IN EVERY WAY.

BUT I only wanted a cup of regular coffee - I am not a food gorger scarfing down every iota of food that is offered anywhere.

AND my "rants" are responses to those who try to justify what is being done to us. My real disappointment is I always considered Celebrity to be above the "average" cruise lines and just found out THE HARD WAY. IT DOESNT HOLD A CANDLE TO THE AVERAGE.

Archived