Rain during a cruise?

Chillaxx46

We are sailing in almost a week and today we looked at the weather(yes its a bit far out) and saw that it is going to rain! We have never been on a cruise where it has rained and we are just wondering if its just as fun even though you can't do outdoor things and most likely it won't be as much fun at the port.

You dont even know it will rain, or if it does, its probably tropical which means it rains for a while in the morning and then it dries out. Rained last month on us in Cozumel in the morning while we waited for our excursion and the first stop, and we got a little damp.

I think you have to ignore a little rain and not worry about things you cant help. It doesnt affect anything usually. If its a huge storm, they will cancel water excursions..

One good thing about the cruise is it moves. The Captain will try hard to get sunshine for people. Not always possible but better chance than stuck on an island in the rain for a week... It is still fun and gives us a chance to do the inside things we don't seem to do when it is sun shining like galley tour, free champagne at art auction :p, Marriage show, etc. Most times the captain will find sun shine for most of the cruise... Have fun with no worries! :D

I hope this doesn't sound sarcastic, but a lot of it depends on YOU. If you think you'll melt in the rain or your hair will frizz, etc, then it might not be as much fun for you. I've had rainy cruises and still had a blast, but I am from the desert, so to me rain is a gift, not a hindrance. One tip though, if you don't have any deck shoes with good traction, this might be a good time to invest in some.

Do not let rain spoil your vacation. It has rained on several of my cruises. If it is a sea day, it is nice to curl up on a couch or a chair with a good book and a cocktail and just visit with passing guests. Card games will pick up, and it is great to relax with a spa treatment. If it is a port day, grab an umbrellas and head out for some sightseeing. You can share tales of moisture with other guests over drinks later in the bar!

We are sailing in almost a week and today we looked at the weather(yes its a bit far out) and saw that it is going to rain! We have never been on a cruise where it has rained and we are just wondering if its just as fun even though you can't do outdoor things and most likely it won't be as much fun at the port.

It rains every day in the Caribbean in the spring, summer and fall. That means for about 15 minutes a day rain falls from the sky. The rest of the time it is warm and muggy. No worries.

We did the NY-Canada cruise in July (2007). We were in Fog and mist the whole way up and back. It was so windy all outside decks were closed. We read, slept and did trivia, tea, and had the most relaxing vacation ever. The Canadiens did give us great weather while we were in port though:D Relax and make the best of whatever weather you get. It a vacation so enjoy.

I may have missed where you are cruising to, but if it's in the Caribbean, you need not worry. It rains off and on this time of year. I live in south Florida, and if it starts to rain, I know that an hour or so later the sun will be out (unless there is a tropical storm overhead). While at sea, your ship is moving and can avoid areas with precipitation. Whatever the case, you've got to "roll with the punches" because you never know what the weather will be like. Once in Barbados it was raining, but not pouring, and my two traveling companions (not I, mind you) were experiencing the doldrums.....very grumpy with no umbrella and nothing to do. Fast-forward 6 years to today, and we laugh about the trip to that port. Very good memories travelling regardless of the weather. As an aside: I traveled to Jamaica for 10 days back in Feb 1999 and this is not generally considered the rainy season. Well, it rained everyday for an hour or so either in the morning or the late afternoon. Then, the sun was out bright as if it had never even rained. Enjoy your cruise.

One of my top three favorite days of all time was when it rained while we were at Tabyana in Roatan. Everyone ran for the busses and left except for a handful of us. The rest of us listened to the band, had a couple of drinks, and played cards. 30 minutes later it cleared up and we had the place to ourselves. We still replay the video of all these people running from the beach, screaming and trying to stay dry - when they were just in the water, lol!

Think of it as an adventure and you'll have a great time. :)

One of our most favorite memories from all of our cruises is when we got caught in a downpour....i mean a drenching downpour... when we were on the tender heading back to the ship from Half Moon Cay.

We were soaked....rain dripping from our hair and of course there was only top deck seats left when we got on the boat. We sat there with the rain just pouring off of us and the wind blowing our wet stringy hair into our faces and we laughed so much and so hard that the people around us started laughing too. By the time the tender got to the ship almost the whole top deck was laughing! Funniest thing was....none of us knew why we were laughing....it was just so much fun!

We've had some beautiful, gorgeous weather on our cruises and no matter what....we always end up talking about our rainy tender ride the most!

Myself, not being acclimated to hot, humid weather, the occasional shower while out and about actually felt good!;)

Like the others have said, the showers come and go quickly. Enjoy!

One of my top three favorite days of all time was when it rained while we were at Tabyana in Roatan. Everyone ran for the busses and left except for a handful of us. The rest of us listened to the band, had a couple of drinks, and played cards. 30 minutes later it cleared up and we had the place to ourselves. We still replay the video of all these people running from the beach, screaming and trying to stay dry - when they were just in the water, lol!

Think of it as an adventure and you'll have a great time. :)

I agree Happy !!!!!!!!!!!! Carribbean rains are short and often scare off the masses leaving where ever you are weather beach or ship all to yourselves. I remember half way in the day we had a heavy rain on RCCL's private island in the Bahamas............. 90% of the passengers went back to the ship via the shuttle boats..........the weather cleared and we enjoyed the island for almost 5 hours all to ourselves.......... live music, dancing.. and yes, plenty of Bahama Mamma's and rum punch. Best time ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

When we were in Roatan off of the Valor it rain a couple of times during the day. I was snorkeling and there were a few other people in the area. I felt rain on the back of my head and when I looked up I was the only one still in the water. 95% of my body was in the water so why did a little rain make a difference? :-D

It also rained during our sea day on the way back to Miami. The crew closed the retractable cover over the adult pool area and everyone was dry and happy.

One tip though, if you don't have any deck shoes with good traction, this might be a good time to invest in some.

I second this tip. On our last cruise it sprinkled on and off, and I slipped and fell right on my rear on deck in front of everyone! Pretty embarrassing!! I chalked it up to being a klutz, but my friend slipped once also, so wear some shoes with traction!

It rained on us while leaving the Grand Cayman Island.

It didn't bother us we were in the boat heading back to the Ship.

Look at the Lady with the sun glasses. A little rain wasn't going to ruin her Cruise.:DDSC00303.jpg

DSC00299.jpg

I have cruised many times during tropical rain storms,mainly in October, one time it rained for five days and I mean rain. Personally the weather is the main focus of a cruise so I tend to cruise in March or April the cruise fare is higher but the weather is usually perfect.

Gary

It rained on my last cruise on both port days (Cozumel and Calica), and it was pretty rainy throughout the whole afternoon. We just carried an umbrella and walked around town sightseeing. It wasn't horrible, but it kept me from photographing as much as I would have liked and we felt pretty yucky from the humidity. But other than that we still got to see the port. If I had to choose between staying dry and comfy, and seeing the port, I'd choose to see the port! ;-)

DH and I generally look at each other and say "Huh. Rain. DOD?"

On Domenica we learned the true meaning of rainforest... we were drenched, riding in a bouncy open truck with cups of lethal rum punch... and laughing till our sides ached. We always get rained on, but sure as heck don't let it spoil our fun.

If you cruise in the Caribbean this time of year, the daily weather forecast is usually 30-50 percent chance of rain--that covers the usual afternoon thunder storms but the forecast does not mean it will rain all day. Added bonus--it is still warm!:)

Archived