Self Assist Debarkation at Port Canaveral

mj

We want to spend as much time at Universal Studios when we get off the Glory on 5/14. We were thinking about doing the self-assist that morning. For those of you have done it, share your experiences pro and con. We are concerned about having a long distance to walk when we exit the ship.

Thanks

I did the self assist on the Glory and it was difficult. It's tricky to manuver your luggage trying to go down the escalator..not to mention dangerous. Look for the elevator!

Lots of people did self-assist on our 4/9 Glory cruise. Did see elevators so they are available. Also, lots of people with their bags near elevators on the ship. If you don't have to self-assist, don't. Port Canaveral doesn't have a big area for luggage, it's basically done like the airlines - comes on a carosel which to me, was much easier. You are called by deck and then have to go through immigration and customs on your way down on the luggage area. To me, Port Canaveral is much easier to embark/debark than Miami plus the port is new. In terms of time for self-assist being called, it's a crap shoot - we were late getting in and self-assist wasn't called until 9:00 a.m. Our deck (6) was called at 9:45 a.m. and it took about an hour for us to get off the ship.

MNSAWYER is probably right. It all depends on when the ship docks, but you won't know that at the time you have to decide which method to use (bags have to be in the hall before midnight to do assisted.)

That said, we took our bags to the Amber Palace about 7am and were off the boat by 7:45. We even managed to take our three roller bags down the escalator in the port building. The walk across the parking area was not any more difficult than navagating the port building IMHO.

Did self-assist off the GLORY about a year and a half ago.

I didn't seem to have trouble with the escalators, however, I'm set up for it with a large rollalong and a small rollalong with the smaller one attaching to the top of the larger one. Easy to just roll the whole contraption on the step before me on the escalator and then jump on behind.

I can see how others, mainly women :D, with garmet bags, cosmetic cases, etc. might not prefer the escalators. I noticed quite a line for the elevators.

I thought the embarkation process at Cape Canaveral was terrific. I also noticed the airline-like carousels spitting out bags for those that didn't want to self-assist. Seemed like a painless process either way. :)

Archived