Are jackets "required"

Sailing Oasis next week; my husband is an entrepreneur who doesnt own a suit. I have packed him dress pants, dress shirts and ties for the formal nights and our dinner at Chops, but are jackets absolutely required to dine those evenings, or just suggested?

Sailing Oasis next week; my husband is an entrepreneur who doesnt own a suit. I have packed him dress pants, dress shirts and ties for the formal nights and our dinner at Chops, but are jackets absolutely required to dine those evenings, or just suggested?

Recommended - not required. But definately suggest as you've done with the shirts and ties.

Enjoy Oasis - sailed her last year and will again the week after you.

Sorry, I can't help it... but this is just too funny...:D

I wear a suit most days for work and enjoy it, so I have about 10 different suits...I love them. I'm like Barney from How I Met Your Mother. Well, at least when it comes to dressing...

No jacket required in Chop's or anyplace else on the ship.

Correct.

Men do not have to wear a suit jacket to go to dinner.:)

Cruisers do not have to wear a life jacket to attend muster.:cool:

And children do not have to wear a straight jacket to go in the C/L or specialty restaurants.:eek:

But the parents that bring children there might want to wear flack jackets.:D

I wear a shirt and tie as well. After all, some will wear suites and some will wear other stuff so I figure Im good to go with the tie... lol He will be fine with Dockers and a shirt and tie. As far as Chops he would be good without the tie there.

My D/H isn't wearing a jacket this next cruise. He is wearing a nice shirt and tie. He hates me making him dress up on cruises. I gave in and we will see. This will be our experimental non tux or suit cruise.

I got tired of packing my DH suits only to have him take off his jacket 95% of the time. Last cruise I didn't pack it. He wears his dress pants, dress shirt and tie. Looks great and is more comfy.

You will see everything from few tuxes to polo shirts. My DH never felt underdressed.

To each his own, but I have to say that well-tailored clothing is always comfortable, even a tux. As long as the AC is doing it job, a suit or jacket should be comfy. Not preaching here, just giving my thoughts.

To give extreme examples: When I went on Bahamas Celebration for two nights in March, I just took a jacket but no tie. When I did my Cunard trans-Atlantics, where the first and last nights are informal (for Cunard that means jacket and tie) and the 4 nights in between are formal (that means tux), I brought two suits for the two nights, and two tuxes for the 4 nights. I also brought different bow tie cummerbund combinations so I would never look the same from one night to the next. I'm somewhat extreme, and have two black tuxes and two white dinner jackets that I will use with them. I love my formal wear!

Of course, some might call me eccentric in this regard!:D

I mean, how could I pose with captain Paul Wright and his wife on QM2 on a formal night without my "nautical" bow tie and cummerbund!

23592_104171782956960_100000924173567_33270_7926545_n.jpg

I can relate completely. I have been working at tech start ups for so long I don't own a suit either.

I think people get caught up with what people wear way too much. I am not saying you should show up in shorts and flip flops and a t-shirt but I think a nice button down shirt and jeans is more than acceptable.

Correct.

Men do not have to wear a suit jacket to go to dinner.:)

Cruisers do not have to wear a life jacket to attend muster.:cool:

And children do not have to wear a straight jacket to go in the C/L or specialty restaurants.:eek:

But the parents that bring children there might want to wear flack jackets.:D

Thanks for the laugh - and I also know that Cancer SUCKS!

No flames, please - but what is the connection between being an "entrepreneur" and not owning a suit?

I was kinda wondering that too. It seems like an entrepreneur would need to go to meetings from time-to-time in which a suit is the acceptable thing to be worn. But maybe I'm way off...and it's not any of my business either.

I was kinda wondering that too. It seems like an entrepreneur would need to go to meetings from time-to-time in which a suit is the acceptable thing to be worn. But maybe I'm way off...and it's not any of my business either.

Me 3...all the entrepreneur people I know always end up in swanky business meetings and whatnot. No flaming, I just happened to wonder as well.

Me 4. I'm an entrepreneur also, self-employed for most of my life. These ships are so beautiful as to decor that I don't see what the problem is with dressing up once or twice while on them.

When you go to a "black tie" event (that means men in tuxes) part of the reason is that the men all basically look alike, and attention is thus paid to the ladies in attendance. The men will differentiate themselves with the style of tux, and bow tie and cummerbund. I don't necessarily wear a "black" tie. It might be red!

Again, a suit or tuxedo can be just as comfortable to wear as jeans and a shirt.

Me 3...all the entrepreneur people I know always end up in swanky business meetings and whatnot. No flaming, I just happened to wonder as well.

You would be very surprised to see how casual tech business meetings are. I think at our last board meeting there wasn't a single person in a suit. Some had jeans, button down shirt and a jacket.

You would be very surprised to see how casual tech business meetings are. I think at our last board meeting there wasn't a single person in a suit. Some had jeans, button down shirt and a jacket.

Oh, I definitely know how casual they can be. I just can't imagine not having a single suit as an adult with a good job. It's not a knock on OP, it just surprises me.

I think there is a world of difference between a "jacket and tie" and a suit. A jacket and tie can be just a blue blazer with a pair of khakis -- the same thing you likely wore to football games as a college student. Even though I'm dressed up, I feel at ease wearing a jacket and tie. I don't like wearing a suit so much.

I have a hard time understanding how someone wouldn't have a single sports coat in their closet. If nothing else you can put it on to go to a funeral or a wedding, so go get one. I recommend a blue blazer, a white pinpoint button down from Costco, and a pair of decent khakis, and a rep tie, preferably with the colors of your favorite college sports team. You're done!

Archived