Athens Driver/Guides

We were planning to do a ship tour for Athens mainly because I have not seen very many recommendations of drivers for this area. We are now rethinking hiring a private driver/guide for Athens and maybe Sounion. Has anyone used George Kokkotos, the GreekTaxi or his son Dennis? I haven't seen too many recommendations for Athens so I am a little worried about this port. I have booked tours in Italy & France with the recommendations received on this board and feel confident with those ports we have hired great drivers. We are a family of 5 so need more than the Mercedes taxi that the 1-2 drivers recommended on this board have. George has a limo and also can arrange a minibus for us.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a week in Athens & a week in Santorini and on two days used Paul to do excursions from Athens (had already seen the major sites in Athens a few years ago). Paul is STELLAR! As you probably know, the "big three" of drivers in Athens are Paul, George, and Spiros - and they are just that - DRIVERS. They are NOT tour guides and are not allowed to accompany you into the sites. Paul, however, gives a lot of information between sites and also has a full library of books in the back seat (these are not just the general tour guides you can buy here but the detailed ones you would buy on location, and he encourages you to take the book(s) with you into the site). Paul is expecting delivery of a brand new 12+ passenger vehicle any minute (he was supposed to have received it when we were there but it had been delayed) so he can accomodate larger groups as well as his regular Mercedes taxi. Paul spent many years in NJ so his English is excellent and he's just a plain nice guy who loves what he does.

schmabbies -

We'll be in Athens in October and we're looking for a driver. Can you provide some info on how to contact Paul? He sounds like he'd be perfect for our group of 7. Thanks ...

Archived