How would you rate NCL Lobster Dinner?

Happy HALer

How would characterize the MDR Lobster Dinner if that were only choice?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. How would characterize the MDR Lobster Dinner if that were only choice?

• I wouldn't miss it.
    • Good night for specialty reservation.
    • I would rather hit the Buffet.
    • Room service would be better than the Lobster.

While the lobster is nothing to write home about the actual dish with the lobster, fish fillet and rice was actually quite tasty. Combined with a nice salad, fresh bread and some wine it made for a very nice first nights meal that was not cooked by me and I didn't even have to clear the table or wash the dishes.

Yes, indeed tasty. :D

As many have said it is not the best lobster on the planet, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be based on what I've read here on CC. I actually quite enjoyed it and would not miss it on a future NCL cruise. One of my favorite meals of the week.

You forgot to add "previously frozen and overcooked";).

I will agree with the statement "previously frozen" (which would be a fact, if it is true, which I assume it is) but will not agree that I missed "overcooked" since that is your opinion and not everyones. Some say it is delicious. Like every other food thread on here that is subjective.

Ordered it once...never again.

+2

It really is an offensive presentation of a Carribean lobster. It is quite similar to an overcooked large shrimp. Perhaps NCL should just serve overcooked large shrimp. It would save everybody some money and end with the same result. I guess they couldn't call it lobster then. Maybe loobster? :D

I have to come out in defense of the NCL free lobster MDR entree - I ordered in on the Epic and thought it was very good. Was a tiny bit overcooked, but nothing terrible. I ordered a double portion, but they aren't nearly as small as everyone exaggerates.

I've had Maine lobster and yes, it's much bigger and when cooked right, is better, but I didn't think the NCL lobster was bad at all. Try it out and let us know what you think!

Accidently picked the wrong choice - duh!

Picked "wouldn't miss it" but what I MEANT was if it were no longer offered I would not miss it.

I have had REALLY good fresh lobster in Nova Scotia and believe me - mass produced, previously frozen lobster does not compare. It's not that it's bad - just not worth the trouble. Of your choices I would say - "a good night to dine at a specialty restaurant".

We sometimes do a specialty reservation on lobster night because the dining room seems to be busy that night and the specialties are quiet.

That being said, the lobster is fine. Not great, but ok. If you aren't spoiled by living in a lobster mecca, it will still be a bit of a treat.

I am from New England, I tried it on the Jewel and it was terrible, I never ordered it again because I knew it was. . .well. . .not up to my expectations. But in January on the SKY I decided to try it. It was amazing--it was NOT overcooked at all. In fact, all the food in the MDR on that trip was really good. :)

It is what it is.

It isn't a fresh Maine lobster.

It IS better than pizza from a Chines buffet restaurant.

It isn't a fresh Caribbean spiny lobster.

It isn't a well-prepared Caribbean spiny lobster.

The meat can't be more than 2 oz.

Pizza from a Chinese buffet as a standard is a pretty low bar to set.

It isn't a fresh Caribbean spiny lobster.

It isn't a well-prepared Caribbean spiny lobster.

The meat can't be more than 2 oz.

Pizza from a Chinese buffet as a standard is a pretty low bar to set.

:) So, you do understand.

I'll preface this by saying I'm not from Maine, I'm no Lobster aficionado and in general I don't eat Lobster as I don't like pulling apart shellfish.

I like the Lobster on Lobster night because it's a tail pulled out of it's shell for me. Nothing messy or two gross eyes staring at me. The flavor is to my liking as well as the fish and rice pilaf/rice dish.

Hi. I'm sailing on the Sky next Friday and plan on doing the MDR on the first evening, which I believe is lobster night. Can anyone please tell me is it possible for me to order two if I want?

Thank you.

Hi. I'm sailing on the Sky next Friday and plan on doing the MDR on the first evening, which I believe is lobster night. Can anyone please tell me is it possible for me to order two if I want?

Thank you.

You may order as many as you like of anything that you want on the MDR menu.

To put our votes in perspective - for "rather hitting the buffet" or "good night for doing specialty" !!

since there isn't another choice, like "order something else on the dinng menu instead/or in addition to" would get my ballot

5 of us just came back last week "enjoying" the RCCL Explorer of the Seas' spin on Lobster night, and let's just say, if you think NCL's spiny, tough, overcooked, tasteless & under-sized 1/2 lobster tail is bad - you will be running away from RCCL's MDR screaming ...

Haven't been on NCL since 2011 where they served (memories fading with age, LOL) us 1/2 of lobster tail with monk fish over rice, etc. - the "competition" must be sourcing it from the same vendor or supplier (here in metro NY area ??) - they served it similiarly with 4 tiny, medium to small sized, headless shrimp that looked abused/neglected (sorry, had to described our feelings when we're served with it - poor waiter & assitant waiter had to smile and be cheerful; whispering quietly that we can order 2nd. servings or something else from the menu if we so wish) During those Kodak moments (now that I wrote a lengthy review, I regretted not taking a close-up picture to share with all) - we dream of NCL & its "lobster" night with monk fish. For $24.95 extra, we could order a 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 lb. lobster every night (presumed whole, possibly a frozen one) ... no thanks, RCCL.

Having been on many NCL cruises in the past 10 years, we've watched and know that they've been shrinking or down-sizing those frozen & overcooked lobster tails down to the bare legal minimum that they can buy in bulk ...

What I would suggest or do, without running off to the buffet or paying extra to dine in speciality (although steak house or French dining would be good if you can reserve it ahead of time as they fill up quickly) is to pair it with the sirloin steak to make it surf & turf (unless prime rib or another beef daily specials is also on the menu) - and it will go nicely together.

It's not the end of the world - here in NY, we get plenty of fresh lobster swimming in the Asian supermarket's oxygenated tank in all sizes - delivered from LI or Maine fishermen's supplier & trucked in daily (high priced Aussie' lobsters flown in available too) We ordered a double lobsters, stirred fried with ginger & scallion - a la Chinese style - from one of our favorite restaurant last week to eat for Mother's Day in the comfort of mom's dining table (close to 3 lbs. for $35.95) As a matter of fact, DW and I are itching for soft-shell Maine lobsters (now in season & yummy) - steamed fresh & served with butter - in 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 lbs sizes cheaply for $10 to $15 at a place called Three Sons (I think) in downtown Portland - one for each of us, yeah !

Bottom line, just chill - enjoy the lobster or order something else, it's a cruise & you are on vacation while almost everyone else are busy at work or at home, or still packing for their turns to sail - don't sweat it. We still, in summary, enjoy our 5 nights on the EOS sailing our journey - let someone else worry about the preparation, cooking & serving, and clean the room, etc.

To put our votes in perspective - for "rather hitting the buffet" or "good night for doing specialty" !!

since there isn't another choice, like "order something else on the dinng menu instead/or in addition to" would get my ballot

5 of us just came back last week "enjoying" the RCCL Explorer of the Seas' spin on Lobster night, and let's just say, if you think NCL's spiny, tough, overcooked, tasteless & under-sized 1/2 lobster tail is bad - you will be running away from RCCL's MDR screaming ...

Haven't been on NCL since 2011 where they served (memories fading with age, LOL) us 1/2 of lobster tail with monk fish over rice, etc. - the "competition" must be sourcing it from the same vendor or supplier (here in metro NY area ??) - they served it similiarly with 4 tiny, medium to small sized, headless shrimp that looked abused/neglected (sorry, had to described our feelings when we're served with it - poor waiter & assitant waiter had to smile and be cheerful; whispering quietly that we can order 2nd. servings or something else from the menu if we so wish) During those Kodak moments (now that I wrote a lengthy review, I regretted not taking a close-up picture to share with all) - we dream of NCL & its "lobster" night with monk fish. For $24.95 extra, we could order a 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 lb. lobster every night (presumed whole, possibly a frozen one) ... no thanks, RCCL.

Having been on many NCL cruises in the past 10 years, we've watched and know that they've been shrinking or down-sizing those frozen & overcooked lobster tails down to the bare legal minimum that they can buy in bulk ...

What I would suggest or do, without running off to the buffet or paying extra to dine in speciality (although steak house or French dining would be good if you can reserve it ahead of time as they fill up quickly) is to pair it with the sirloin steak to make it surf & turf (unless prime rib or another beef daily specials is also on the menu) - and it will go nicely together.

It's not the end of the world - here in NY, we get plenty of fresh lobster swimming in the Asian supermarket's oxygenated tank in all sizes - delivered from LI or Maine fishermen's supplier & trucked in daily (high priced Aussie' lobsters flown in available too) We ordered a double lobsters, stirred fried with ginger & scallion - a la Chinese style - from one of our favorite restaurant last week to eat for Mother's Day in the comfort of mom's dining table (close to 3 lbs. for $35.95) As a matter of fact, DW and I are itching for soft-shell Maine lobsters (now in season & yummy) - steamed fresh & served with butter - in 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 lbs sizes cheaply for $10 to $15 at a place called Three Sons (I think) in downtown Portland - one for each of us, yeah !

Bottom line, just chill - enjoy the lobster or order something else, it's a cruise & you are on vacation while almost everyone else are busy at work or at home, or still packing for their turns to sail - don't sweat it. We still, in summary, enjoy our 5 nights on the EOS sailing our journey - let someone else worry about the preparation, cooking & serving, and clean the room, etc.

Best post so far. So much passion and conviction. I love it. I don't know why, but I found myself reading the post with a bit of a British accent.

Also, if I could change the poll options, I would add the option of "pizza at the chinese buffet" even though there is no chinese buffet.

Archived