New "west of" Tampa Cruise Port Study

I would love to see the mega ships departing from the Tampa Bay area. I just worry about the NIMBY's and environmentalists protesting the loss of wildlife areas. It would definitely bring more jobs to the area, and we would be able to compete with Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, and Port of Miami for the larger ships from Royal, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity, and NCL.

I would love to see the mega ships departing from the Tampa Bay area. I just worry about the NIMBY's and environmentalists protesting the loss of wildlife areas. It would definitely bring more jobs to the area, and we would be able to compete with Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, and Port of Miami for the larger ships from Royal, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity, and NCL.

FINELY, SOME ONE Has great idea.I live it Temple Terrace,FL and don't want to drive to Miami.I think the legend is GREAT but we would like to experience a little something different.

Last Sunday I answered the phone and it was my 13 yo grand son.The first words out of his mouth were LET ME TALK TO GRAND MA.I gave the phone to my DW and I then see a big grin on her face the next words are do you want to go to channel side for drinks and watch the legend sail away(poor peoples cruise).My DW told me to go upstairs and change were off to the port for drinks.DW was already on the road (I-75) they live in Wesley Chapel,FL about 15 mi from Temple Terrace.10 Min's later off to the port.It's about 3 O'Clock.Parking was great.We parked in the high rise garage @ channel side on the top floor .Great panorama of the port area and the whale tail.

The Channel Side area has like 5 bars with wonderful drinks and Ice cold Coronas .What a lovely Sunday afternoon.Family and sail away all at the same time.

FINELY, SOME ONE Has great idea.I live it Temple Terrace,FL and don't want to drive to Miami.I think the legend is GREAT but we would like to experience a little something different.

Last Sunday I answered the phone and it was my 13 yo grand son.The first words out of his mouth were LET ME TALK TO GRAND MA.I gave the phone to my DW and I then see a big grin on her face the next words are do you want to go to channel side for drinks and watch the legend sail away(poor peoples cruise).My DW told me to go upstairs and change were off to the port for drinks.DW was already on the road (I-75) they live in Wesley Chapel,FL about 15 mi from Temple Terrace.10 Min's later off to the port.It's about 3 O'Clock.Parking was great.We parked in the high rise garage @ channel side on the top floor .Great panorama of the port area and the whale tail.

The Channel Side area has like 5 bars with wonderful drinks and Ice cold Coronas .What a lovely Sunday afternoon.Family and sail away all at the same time.

We live in Lutz..... love to go to Channelside to watch the ships and have a drink.

If they believe that the current terminal will be used also, they need to call the Port Authority in Houston and see how that worked out.

They aren't going to want that extra 2 hours of fuel burn if they can get by without it.

But you do have to give them credit for attempting to keep the protests from the shops and attractions in the current area from getting organized early.

Hugh in Dallas

But where west of Tampa would they build it? IMO there isnt't adequate infrastructure in Pinellas. It is too built up to accommodate facilities, parking, etc. Plus the gulf is shallow and they would have to dredge a lot of sand out.

I think they would have to look south in order to bring in the big ships.

But where west of Tampa would they build it? IMO there isnt't adequate infrastructure in Pinellas. It is too built up to accommodate facilities, parking, etc. Plus the gulf is shallow and they would have to dredge a lot of sand out.

I think they would have to look south in order to bring in the big ships.

Port Manatee would be a logical choice.

Yesterday's paper hinted on a location near the bridge on the Hillsborough/Pinellas county line.

Yesterday's paper hinted on a location near the bridge on the Hillsborough/Pinellas county line.

I was listening to NPR a couple of days ago and the mayor of St Pete said there is a project in the works that will Knock everyones socks off. could this be it?

What an awesome win-win for us Tampa folks. New Rays baseball stadium in Hillsborough, (we so need one), and a new deep water cruise terminal. We've been so limited by the Sunshine Skyway Bridge... none of the newer big ships can sail under her. I'm wondering if the two and a half sail up the Tampa Bay is eliminated the cruise lines can add new itineraries? Eastern Caribbean? Ports further south? :)

I thought Port Manatee was inside the SkyWay bridge. Bradenton jus tot the south or Palm Harbor-Smith's Bayou on the North? Need some hurricane protection. With all th elowlying area around St Pete Clearwater, you start getting too far away from the airport if you venture much beyond those bounds.

Hopefully, newer, bigger ships will bring new itineraries!

Why would bigger ships result in new itineraries? If anything, bigger ships may not be able to go to some ports because of their size.

Longer cruises could open up new itineraries, since you'd have time to go to more distant ports. But Carnival's bread and butter has always been 8 day or less cruises. I'm guessing their slightly younger, more frugal demographic is less likely to take long cruises.

It would definitely bring more jobs to the area, and we would be able to compete with Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, and Port of Miami for the larger ships from Royal, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity, and NCL.

I hate to say it but I think because of the amount of fuel those big boys have to burn, ports further south are more attractive for the big ships. If they can fill the giant ships further north, I am betting the average price will be a bit higher but it might be cheaper to fly to that location.

I thought Port Manatee was inside the SkyWay bridge. Bradenton jus tot the south or Palm Harbor-Smith's Bayou on the North? Need some hurricane protection. With all th elowlying area around St Pete Clearwater, you start getting too far away from the airport if you venture much beyond those bounds.

Crewsweeper actually Tampa is more vulnerable to storm surge than locations on the gulf. There are some scenarios that were done around the time of Charley. Basically all of downtown Tampa would be underwater.

As far as distance from the airport. I believe Galveston is a considerable distance from Houston airports. It seems that even with distance there is success.

You're right. Port Manatee is on this side of the bridge. I was hoping, since that is closer to my house.

I believe Galveston is a considerable distance from Houston airports. It seems that even with distance there is success.

Hobby Airport is in south Houston, about 40 to 60 minutes from Galveston, while Bush Intercontential is another 30 minutes north of Hobby.

Personally, this family is not at all interested in sailing on any of the "mega" ships. Too big for us! Also don't think bigger in Tampa would mean better itineraries ...... big ships don't move very fast and I think it would be the same old Key West, Bahamas, etc. if the big ships moved in. We are interested in sailing to take in islands further south, which I don't think those mega ships go to.

Archived