Bringing wine/champagne onboard?

[quote name='cruisegirl1']Can you explain the process for this?
Thanks, M[/quote]

Call up C&A and plead your case. Keep in mind that past results are no guarantee of future returns. You are asking for special consideration, so be prepared to show how it is special as well as the possibility that the person you talk to doesn't agree. Also note that this could well cost more than buying something equivalent onboard, so it should be "special" (to which the cost of having it there is acceptable).

As I see it, there are two reasons that someone would choose to bring a bottle of alcohol (in any form) onboard:[INDENT]There really is something special about it.
They are trying to save money in onboard purchases.
[/INDENT]If the first, the cruise line is a hospitality company, and if the fee is right they will do practically anything to oblige (sailing in the owners suite, and have a a bottle of a private reserve that the cruise line doesn't have, but you're willing to ship it in advance, pay a handling fee, a corkage fee, and a handsome tip to the ship's sommelier, and sure, I virtually guarantee it will be there when you board).

If the second, dare I say it, the pax is being cheap, so why shouldn't the cruise line choose to "protect their profits", as it is in the best interest of the line and it's shareholders (they are, in fact, a [I]for profit company[/I]).

This does present the case where something is special, but the cost to guarantee could be high. So call and see what you might be able to work out. If you don't ask, you won't get; and the worst that can happen by asking is the same as if you don't.

[quote name='suzyed']Thanks! I was not prepared for the vitriol that has followed my post. I thought that was why we were on CC...to find out stuff through others experiences, and to share ideas. Boy was I wrong.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully you got the information you needed to enjoy the drinks you want, how you want, where you want! You'll be fine.

[quote name='graphicguy']Hopefully you got the information you needed to enjoy the drinks you want, how you want, where you want! You'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your kind response!

I did get the information I needed, thank you!

[quote name='suzyed']The conflicting reports I was getting were on CC. I haven't sailed much on RCL in the last few years and I came to CC for information because folks are usually knowledgable and happy to help. I was merely asking, because we have brought wine and champagne onboard before without a problem. Our room stewards have even provide champagne buckets with ice.

There is no need for the rudeness...you couldn't possibly know, that "I absolutely know". If I absolutely knew, would I be asking? And no, I am not trying to start trouble, I am just disappointed that a fine cruise line would prohibit one from bringing on a nice bottle of wine/champagne, as the other lines allow.

Again, I was stating that I, as all of you do, have a choice in whom we choose to sail with and that RCL was not going to be my first choice. I love their ships, I think that are stylish and beautiful, but if I desire to bring on some fine wine or champagne while sailing, I will have to choose another line.

No harm, no foul. I wasn't mean to anyone on here, and I don't know why I got such hostility from other posters on here....I guess I forgot how some people can be.[/quote]

OP's point is valid particularly since RCL's wine offerings are mediocre at best (as are most of the lines, sadly). I wouldn't mind paying for their wines if they had something worth drinking. If not they should lighten up on the policy.

[quote name='Pushka']Paid for yes, free, for everyone? Nope.[/quote]

Well first it´s not free on Cunard either, it´s included, but you still pay for it with your cruise fare.;)

I didn´t say for anyone on RCI, just that it exists with RCI, as included as on Cunard, for suite passengers and C&A members at certain levels.

I just love hearing from those wine connoisseurs; if the ship doesn't have what they particularly like, the rest is rotgut. My local wine store claims to have several thousand different labels in stock, one can't expect the ship to have their particular label.

After two glasses, who can tell the difference?:rolleyes:

On a recent HAL cruise I took three bottles on, on RCCL, I don't because that is their particular rules. Doesn't stop me from picking RCCL as my favorite.

[quote name='cruzincurt']I just love hearing from those wine connoisseurs; if the ship doesn't have what they particularly like, the rest is rotgut. My local wine store claims to have several thousand different labels in stock, one can't expect the ship to have their particular label.

On a recent HAL cruise I took three bottles on, on RCCL, I don't because that is their particular rules. Doesn't stop me from picking RCCL as my favorite.[/QUOTE]

There is not 1 cruise line (or land based restaurant, for that matter), that I would expect to carry the variety of wines that can be purchased in a large wine shop. There simply would not be enough space to store such a selection.
Which is why, I think it is nice when you can bring a bottle of your favorite to dinner and pay a corkage fee. It saves the cruise line (or restaurant) from having to store mass quantities and at the same time gain a little income from the corkage fee. :)
JMHO!

[quote name='cruzincurt']I just love hearing from those wine connoisseurs; if the ship doesn't have what they particularly like, the rest is rotgut. My local wine store claims to have several thousand different labels in stock, one can't expect the ship to have their particular label.

On a recent HAL cruise I took three bottles on, on RCCL, I don't because that is their particular rules. Doesn't stop me from picking RCCL as my favorite.[/quote]

LOL, it´s been proven in many tests, that even great wine connoisseurs often can´t tell the difference (of course I´m not talking about anyone on these boards).
Just a funny story here which happened recently in my home country. A guy that is well known and has several shows on TV also owns a winery for hobby purposes. Well he was interviewd in a show and they got him some wine to taste. His judgement of the wine was devastating and he asked where they got the cheap junk.:D I guess you know already it was his own stuff.:D

[quote name='Paulxyz2004']LOL, it´s been proven in many tests, that even great wine connoisseurs often can´t tell the difference (of course I´m not talking about anyone on these boards).
Just a funny story here which happened recently in my home country. A guy that is well known and has several shows on TV also owns a winery for hobby purposes. Well he was interviewd in a show and they got him some wine to taste. His judgement of the wine was devastating and he asked where they got the cheap junk.:D I guess you know already it was his own stuff.:D[/quote]
I could never be a wine collector, the stuff doesn't stay in the house long enough.:eek:

[quote name='cruzincurt']I could never be a wine collector, the stuff doesn't stay in the house long enough.:eek:[/quote]

Well I would probably meet that criteria, as I rarely drink wine or any other alcohol at home. Occasionally I might have a drink or glass of wine on a cruise. With that I´m not a wine connoisseur and it´s just a matter of it tastes to me or not. When being told what flavours I should smell and taste, I usually don´t recognize any.:o

[quote name='Paulxyz2004']Well first it´s not free on Cunard either, it´s included, but you still pay for it with your cruise fare.;)[/QUOTE]

That's pretty a silly argument then, isn't it!. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Sunny7961']Staterooms on RCL are very reasonably priced. My understanding is the booze is where they make their money. Are the cruise lines that allow you to bring your own wine more expensive?[/QUOTE]

Given different ports, cabin quality, specials, OBC etc etc, that's pretty difficult to determine. But, I'm paying more per day on my LOS cruise than I did on the QM2 cruise (which allows alcohol to be brought onboard, and gives you a bottle of chilled sparkling wine when you first arrive) so I guess my answer is a probable no!

[quote name='Sunny7961']Staterooms on RCL are very reasonably priced. My understanding is the booze is where they make their money. Are the cruise lines that allow you to bring your own wine more expensive?[/QUOTE]

Princess allows one to bring wine onboard and I feel they are competitively priced.

[quote name='suzyed']It's ridiculous! Every other line lets you bring, at the very LEAST one bottle/pp.

I just brought a case of wine onto Princess for a 14 night sailing.

Well, I guess since RCL does not want to treat its loyal customers as adults, I will no longer sail with them after this cruise(my 10th RCL cruise). I will cruise with those cruise lines that show this 59 year old some respect.[/quote]

:cool:Just booked Celebrity for 12 day Euro. Same ownership. I can bring two bottles of wine/champagne on with me, can also order bottles of liquor to have in my cabin for happy hours. Figure it out, I can't:cool:

It's people who have to bring on cases of wine, beer, and gallons of hard liquors that eventually ruin it for everyone else.

These are rules for RCI, so I follow them. I don't cry about it because I can cruise elsewhere if I choose and take a bottle with me, or two, or....burp!:rolleyes:

Archived