Weather on June Canada cruise

I had almost convinced my daughter to let me take her daughter on a short Canada cruise out of Boston ( short drive from our home in Vermont) But then she read that it would be too cold on the days at sea for my granddaughter to have fun-she especially loves the pools. I have cruised the Carribbean so much, I forgot that the weather is colder north ! Can anyone verify that it is too cold off the coast of Canada in late June for swimming or deck activities on the ship?

Oh no ! I have until tomorrow to book my Canada cruise but still hoping for an answer to my post asking about the weather. Wonder if they heat the pools for the cold North !

Yes it is too cold. Even if the pools are heated (not sure if they are), the air is too cold. You are out in the Atlantic and the ship is moving. You won't have the warm Caribbean air. I don't know how old your granddaughter is, but does the cruise hinge on going in a pool? Plenty of kids go on cruises and they have a great time.

If you book with Holland America, the lido pool has retractable covers than can be closed on cool days. So the children can still have their pool time and you get to see something new! Everybody wins! And, no, HAL is not just old fogies! I don't have kids so can't speak about Club HAL but I hear it's very good and kids really enjoy it.

I actually like HAL cruises but they don't do Canada out of Boston. I just wanted a short cruise from a place that I didn't have to fly to.

You might want to check again because HAL does do cruises out of Boston to Canada. In fact, they just added another ship on that route. They also sail from New York on the Eurodam but I think that's only in the fall.

What makes the Carnival cruise so appealing is that I can drive to Boston. But I wouldn't be able to drive to a cruise that doesn't return to the same port. I have always had to fly to my cruises so even though this is a very short cruise, it's a good little trip at a great price !!

Sorry, I didn't realize that you wanted a round trip to/from Boston; I was going by the "out of Boston".

There is one 7 day HAL itinerary that does a round trip Boston but it's in August (Aug 17th on the Veendam). It goes as far north as Sydney, Nova Scotia. Maybe that one will work for you?

Well, we are all set to sail on the June 28th 4 day cruise out of Boston. It can't be any colder than our Alaskan cruise was- but then I did not have a 9 year old with me !

I actually like HAL cruises but they don't do Canada out of Boston. I just wanted a short cruise from a place that I didn't have to fly to.

Loulu, I have good news for you. :)

HAL most certainly sails to Canada from Boston.

We have sailed HAL's Maasdam Boston to Montreal to Boston, back-to-back, every summer for years. HAL most certainly sails to Canada out of Boston. Alternating Saturdays, they sail Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown (PEI), Quebec City to Montreal.

It's a fabulous cruise and IMO one of HAL's best short itineraries.

They do the itinerary in reverse back to Boston.

It's a wonderful cruise and the children love being able to swim in the Lido pool under the retractable roof. If the weather is mild, they open the roof. If it is cold or rainy, they leave it closed and it is perfectly fine for swimming.

Those HAL cruises are 14 days. I live close to Montreal and have been to most of those ports so not worth the time and money to me. If I go for 14 days - which I have on Hal and loved it- it has to be warm and different

My son got in the pool and did the slides on our cruise back from Alaska. My feeling is if the parents feel it's warm enough, let them. They won't get sick from cool weather - it's just if the water is too cold and it lowers their body temp would be any issues... BUt that's not really your question.

The Glory does have a retractable roof but I don't think it goes over the slide area.

I'm sure the 9 year old will have fun. The onboard kids activities are great!

My son fell in love with cruises then.

• 2 weeks later...

The HAL Maasdam sails Boston to Montreal in June. I know b/c we are doing the reverse Montreal to Boston.

Definitely would not book a cruise to Canada until July/August if you hope for it to be warm enough to hang out on the deck and swim. I booked mine for the beginning of July, so hopefully it won't be too chilly by then!

There were kids in the pools even though our weather was very cool. The aft pool does say Adults only. It would have been too hot for kids as the aft pool on the glory was hotter than the hot tubs. The slides were open not much traffic but some. The pools were closed at night but hot tubs open. I would sail Canada gain but probably not choose Boston as my departure port. They were unorganized.

Those HAL cruises are 14 days. I live close to Montreal and have been to most of those ports so not worth the time and money to me. If I go for 14 days - which I have on Hal and loved it- it has to be warm and different

Hi,

We are expecting temperatures in New Brunswick in the 30's this week. There is a humidex of 39 celcius (102 F) on Wednesday. Hopefully that will warm up the air, but it is true the mid Atlantic can be cool..Once you enter the Bay of Fundy, you may have some warmer breezes! Enjoy your cruise!

Archived