Why is it always about saving a bucK?

I spend time on a lot of travel forums. But NOWHERE does the almighty bottom line seem to be such an overwhelmingly present topic as on the RCI boards of CruiseCritic....

Vegas boards, European Travel Boards, American travel boards.... no matter. There are always a few threads about saving money. But somehow, it seems like so very many threads here are about saving cost, or "is it worth it", etc...

So what's the deal? Is it that RCI starts off as a pretty darn good deal that it attracts people with a tight budget that then get focused on the bottom line no matter what?

I can't seem to come to a reasonable conclusion. But after the 100th thread about "is the soda package a good deal", I think I've finally become numb to it!

Your thoughts?

just skip those threads...maybe the numbness will pass:p

FWIW, I do not notice more money saving threads on here than on other forums. Royal Caribbean is not a bargain line, in fact the new ship's tend to be pricier than other mainstream lines.

I sincerely didn't mean it as a complaint. But it seems to be so very pervasive here... I just am trying to figure out why.

Maybe because most of us do not have a money tree in our backyard and we are looking for the biggest bang for our buck :eek:

I think as cruising has become more mainstream more people ar opting for the "Cruising experience" without the upfront cost (cheaper booking rates) may be more expensive then Carnival or Norwegien but has the appearence of a classier time) but then when the knife hits the grindstone...money is not frowing on anyones trees and in very few portfolios...so There is where I think most of the threads are coming from.

And the fact that most are too lazy to use the search feature.

I sincerely didn't mean it as a complaint. But it seems to be so very pervasive here... I just am trying to figure out why.

Maybe it is because people have saved for years to go on their first cruise with their kids. Maybe it is because they booked the cruise and have almost maxed out their credit card to pay for it. Maybe it is because they are like us and prefer to save when we can so we can do other things later. We are retired so money stays in the bank when we can cut some corners.

You make a good point, but as mentioned in an earlier post, skip over the posts that bore you. New cruisers learn from people that take the time to share their expierences. I know I am thankful for the tips given by other CC members.

I don't notice it more here than other places. And Royal is usually more expensive for the same cruise than Carnival or NCL. I'm all about saving some cash.

However, I do get thoroughly annoyed with everyone trying to smuggle booze onboard (regardless of cruise line) or somehow scam the cruise line out of money. If you can't afford $7 for a fruity drink then you probably can't afford the cruise.

Many of us on this forum are addicted to cruising. Some have a tighter budget than others. There is a myth that people who cruise are rich. The reality is that the average cruiser is just that average. And just like they use coupons at home or watch for sales before they buy they are interested in the best deals while cruising. So they seek that information on these forums to get information from people like themselves who cruise and have experience with all the options made available by the cruise line.

I've wondered the same thing for a long time. In general, it seems there are a lot of people cruising who probably shouldn't be. I like saving a buck as much as the next guy but you'll never find me lugging water, smuggling booze, or sharing a coke card as a way to save.

When we travel, we plan ahead & know we can afford to go. If money is tight, we don't go until we can enjoy it without watching every cent. Worrying about what everything is going to cost isn't my idea of a good time.

However, I do get thoroughly annoyed with everyone trying to smuggle booze onboard (regardless of cruise line) or somehow scam the cruise line out of money. If you can't afford $7 for a fruity drink then you probably can't afford the cruise.

Some people just can't let it go. Don't you think there have been enough alcohol smuggling threads on this board lately? Do we really have to turn this into another one?

I spend time on a lot of travel forums. But NOWHERE does the almighty bottom line seem to be such an overwhelmingly present topic as on the RCI boards of CruiseCritic....

Vegas boards, European Travel Boards, American travel boards.... no matter. There are always a few threads about saving money. But somehow, it seems like so very many threads here are about saving cost, or "is it worth it", etc...

So what's the deal? Is it that RCI starts off as a pretty darn good deal that it attracts people with a tight budget that then get focused on the bottom line no matter what?

I can't seem to come to a reasonable conclusion. But after the 100th thread about "is the soda package a good deal", I think I've finally become numb to it!

Your thoughts?

YOu kknow, this is a roya caribbean forun fan lol , they love royal caribben no matter what , some of the know that royal caribbean has higher prices for no reason but yet " yhey love royal caribbean and they are loyal" even when they know they are getting ripped by the company, at the end , they feel happy not because they got a great value , but because they were onbard " royal " , thats make them happy, when they realized what they did ,they have to look for ways to save money.

I have been in ncl , royal n carnival and believe me , maybe royal has the first starbuck at seas but does it justify their higher cruise prices , [of course no } ,

but get ready for the fireworks , you posted that in a blind loyal forum lol:p

I do get thoroughly annoyed with everyone trying to smuggle booze onboard (regardless of cruise line) or somehow scam the cruise line out of money. If you can't afford $7 for a fruity drink then you probably can't afford the cruise.

do you honestly think that the cruise industry want to enforce 100% that law? They want honest people to stay away and dont try it but they know that others will try. They rather have ou onbard smugglin booze that loosing you at all , Im sure about that :D

I've wondered the same thing for a long time. In general, it seems there are a lot of people cruising who probably shouldn't be. I like saving a buck as much as the next guy but you'll never find me lugging water, smuggling booze, or sharing a coke card as a way to save.

When we travel, we plan ahead & know we can afford to go. If money is tight, we don't go until we can enjoy it without watching every cent. Worrying about what everything is going to cost isn't my idea of a good time.

Sounds a little elitist to me. What I hear you saying is, "If you have to watch your spending, you shouldn't go on a cruise," really?

On the one hand I agree that you shouldn't have to cheat the rules to afford the cruise. But finding legitimate ways to save and make the most of your budget shouldn't revoke your sailing priveleges.

Your thoughts?

I can't disagree with your premise and I generally skip those threads now. I like saving a buck, have learned how on here (particularly with regard to hotel deals and cruise certificates, etc.) but what bothers me is people who tell other people how to spend their money or that it's stupid how they spend it. An example would be the hardline some people take against specialty restaurants or water. :rolleyes:

Your thoughts?

Clearly you are not spending much time on the Carnival board!:p

Carnival recently raised the price of their Bon Voyage program where you can buy whole bottles of booze.

You would have thought the sky was falling. Lots of "now I'm going to smuggle " comments.

No I don't think its worse here then other boards or other sites. BTW , I always carry on my own soda and water.;)

Some people just can't let it go. Don't you think there have been enough alcohol smuggling threads on this board lately? Do we really have to turn this into another one?

....I have to admit it....I tried smuggling alchohol one time but.....I couldn't resist....I drank it all on the shuttle to the port......Did you ever notice there are not enough bathrooms at the departure port????......;)

Ditto!!

I also think that some may believe that cruising is all-inclusive (bad advertising or based on past cruises) which is so far from the truth these days.

###

Since 2004 cruises have been and extra trip we go on. All cruises we have gone on beginning then were very good prices. Four were on Princess with the most expensive being in 2004 at 649 pp for an inside Canada/NE. We did the same cruise for 499 pp with Outside in both 2007 and 2009. Not bad I don't think. We also did a 9 day with them last May for 799 also an outside. With RCCL we did a 9 day back in 2006 for 599 and have just booked our second RCCL for about 700 but for an aft balcony to Bermuda for 7 days. I feel at these prices you can't go wrong. I don't worry about the little extra costs now since I do know back in 1977 we paid about 100/day pp for a 3 day to the Bahamas with a tiny porthole! and an Alaska in 1999 cost about 2100 each for a 7 day outside cabin. I feel although many items seem to be nickel and dime issues, the cost of the cruise itself can be had for a very reasonable cost considering transportation, food and entertainment are included. We go to local ports so no air for all the inexpensive cruises. Just my thoughts!

Sounds a little elitist to me. What I hear you saying is, "If you have to watch your spending, you shouldn't go on a cruise," really?

On the one hand I agree that you shouldn't have to cheat the rules to afford the cruise. But finding legitimate ways to save and make the most of your budget shouldn't revoke your sailing priveleges.

You may have interpreted the statement that way but that definitely is NOT what I was saying!

I think the majority of us have to watch our spending but it's how closely that's at issue. I'm all for getting price drops, using coupons, & I can't remember the last time we even considered using a ship sponsored tour. But................ there are many on these boards that are trying to save money by cheating the system & that costs all of us.

In the late 1940's it was said, that if you wanted to purchase a cabin cruiser..........to 65 feet, it was $100.00 per foot. So for a 60 footer, it amounted to $60,000.00. That was a great deal of money then.

Today that same cabin cruiser.........not a yacht, but just under it, new, about $1.5 million, equipped. On the used market an older boat goes for maybe $500,000.00

And yet, cruising on a cruise ship had done just the opposite..........the prices have actually gone down.........to allow more people with desecrationary income to enjoy the world of cruising.

Actually, back in the late 1940's there was no cruising as we know it today.

That is why I was introduced to cruising on freighters long before age 10. And it bacame my love, long sinced replaced with cruise ships.

The point here, is that cruising is now made affordable for many, where it was once out of the reach of middle class citizens. And those, who have paid for their cruise, want to watch how they spend extra money onboard, as they might be very limited.

And to those of you that are limited, or otherwise, welcome aboard. It's your cruise, and could be your one vacation of a lifetime to talk about!:D;)

Rick

There is a really simple reason why so many threads are about saving money.

Regulars come to these boards primarily to feel part of a community.

It is normal every day language for a discussion about how to save a few pennies in your local supermarket on washing powder with a neighbour, or whatever. It's just the normal language of friends - I bought a new Merc, you'd never guess what a deal it was, etc.

Other visitors to these boards are looking for advice.

Now, if you knew nothing about cruising. You could pay top dollar for the cruise, for the flight, for the transfers, for the drinks package, and book all your tours on board. Just one tour from a shore based company recommended by loads of people on these forums could save $100 or more - that's not pennies.

When you return, you find you have just spent twice as much as you needed to.

Cruise Critic may have some irritating loyalists and employees of cruise lines pushing their product, but apart from Tripadvisor, you will not find a messageboard system that will provide you with as much information about something we all love to do.

I hope that helps.

There is a really simple reason why so many threads are about saving money.

Regulars come to these boards primarily to feel part of a community.

It is normal every day language for a discussion about how to save a few pennies in your local supermarket on washing powder with a neighbour, or whatever. It's just the normal language of friends - I bought a new Merc, you'd never guess what a deal it was, etc.

Other visitors to these boards are looking for advice.

Now, if you knew nothing about cruising. You could pay top dollar for the cruise, for the flight, for the transfers, for the drinks package, and book all your tours on board. Just one tour from a shore based company recommended by loads of people on these forums could save $100 or more - that's not

pennies.

When you return, you find you have just spent twice as much as you needed to.

Cruise Critic may have some irritating loyalists and employees of cruise lines pushing their product, but apart from Tripadvisor, you will not find a messageboard system that will provide you with as much information about something we all love to do.

I hope that helps.

Good post. Yes, this Board provides an unbelievable amount of info. And being an RCI cruiser, better info than even their reps or website, and I'm not kidding!

As far as wanting to save a buck.....duh? Who doesn't want to do that? I certainly do and I cruise 3-4 times a year and pay for multiple cabins on at least 2 per year. So I can easily afford to cruise but, yeah, I'm not too proud to get a discount or use a coupon.

I agree...I've noticed it also...always looking for price drops, ways to smuggle booze, OBC, etc.

We cruise once a year...we know what room and location we want and where we want to go. I book it online and that's it. And in due course I purchase wine packages, specialty restaurants, case of water, pre-pay gratuities, etc.

When it's time to board, I'm ready.

Now when we were first starting out, my wife and i, we could not afford many things either.

We would drive non-stop from NJ to Disney...stay off property in a cheaper hotel, etc.

Cruising at that time was out of the question...but now, the cruise lines have adapted to the "Masses" making it attractive to everybody on all different budgets.

But in turn you start to hear complaints about the "old Days", and MDR dress codes, suite perks...and so on.

Archived