Why is it always about saving a bucK?

There's no mystery here. Some people just like to save a buck. Some people try to save a buck on their daily coffee while others on their cruise. The real mystery on these boards is why so many care how others spend and/or save their dollars.:rolleyes:

PS: Not directed at the OP.

PPS: Now if you want to complain about posts on these boards, how about the tipping whiners?:D:D

And the search results aren't presented in the most useful format, in my opinion. I wish the results were more Google-like, with more context around the search string(s).

That's why I usually use google for my cc searches.

So you have a large amount of posts for being here a fairly short period of time. All your posts were helping others, never a question asked by you that wasn't thoroughly researched first?

Point is (as an example) people will often ask about soda cards and booze smuggling, and if they had done a cc search on either, hundreds of threads will come up.

You can't tell me that every question about booze and soda has not already been answered at least 1000x.

Those are actually 2 subjects that you can learn about easily on your own!

I can't seem to come to a reasonable conclusion. But after the 100th thread about "is the soda package a good deal", I think I've finally become numb to it!

Your thoughts?

In this particular case, I think that a lot of people consider buying the soda card, so it's a popular question. (and as mentioned previously, people don't like to, or don't know how to do, a simple search. so it keeps getting asked.)

ps a true tightwad would never consider purchasing a soda card when there is at least water on board to drink.

do you honestly think that the cruise industry want to enforce 100% that law? They want honest people to stay away and dont try it but they know that others will try. They rather have ou onbard smugglin booze that loosing you at all , Im sure about that :D

Yes, they would like to catch every bit of alcohol you try to bring on the ship... 100% is their goal.

They won't kick you off if they catch you; they want you on the ship.

But they want you drinking their drinks, paying their prices.

I'm all for a bargain. Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks when I can. I do shop around for best prices. I'll use the coupons offered by the cruise line. I'll take advantage of offers like discounts in specialty restaurants, port day specials in the spa, etc.

But I also realize that cruise lines are just a business and are entitled to make a buck too.

I love it when people try to squeeze every penny out of the cruise line to get the absolute lowest of the lowest price for their cruise and then complain that the cruise lines nickle and dime them with onboard extras.

I swear some people think the cruise lines are non-profit organizations whose sole purpose is to provide you with a Ritz Carlton experience at a Comfort Inn price.

Thank you - I suppose if RCCL were to increase their prices to cover all those little extras we would see a mass exodus to NCL and Carnaval.

I don't disagre with the OP entirely, I don't frequent other message boards so I don't know what topics they discuss. I think the forum invites discussions of where to save money. I would not be surprised if there is a forum about Disney and there are plenty of discussions on how not to have your last penny spent on a visit.

I do have issues more and more with posters who keep telling me how to spend my money. They have their opinions and I have mine. I see nothing wrong with posting your thoughts but to imply others who choose a different path are wrong bugs me to no end.

What really really rankles are the posters who go on about - I pay cash! I save and I scrape, etc etc (they almost sound like they're stashing cash under the mattress) and pay for my cruise in cash. I prefer to pay with a credit card. Last time I checked they were legal and not immoral. It makes my life easier and whether or not I pay my balance entirely at the end of the month is between me and the bank.

If I did carry a balance on my cards it does not mean I cannot afford to cruise, go on vacation, buy a loaf of bread, etc. It means I've decided that is how I want to finance my vacation.

I do think it is snobbish to tell someone how they should spend their money. Those are the posts I find most annoying. I freely spend on board, I prepay tips, mostly use cruise sponsored excursions, try some of the specialty restaurants, drink my share of fruity and not so fruity drinks, usually buy a drink card, but I draw the line at the ridiculous price they want for a water package. I will continue to bring water on board until they completely ban it or bring the price in line with reality. ;)

Maybe because most of us do not have a money tree in our backyard and we are looking for the biggest bang for our buck :eek:

I too like the best bank for the buck. The we are not drinkers or soda drinkers so I don't care about those packages. But I am always on the lookout for a good overall cruise deal. One cruise I always wanted to do was the great lakes. I got a brochure the other day. One cruise was for 15 days doing the great lakes ports, but it starts at $5000.00 per person. For me thats a bit steep. Sorry I guess I am cheap.

Jan

So you have a large amount of posts for being here a fairly short period of time. All your posts were helping others, never a question asked by you that wasn't thoroughly researched first?

That's correct. And if I couldn't find the answer I said so. I guess you don't know why I have a large number of posts.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Stay away from the Carnival Boards if discussions of saving money, and the cost of "those other cruise lines with their MEGA ships" causes you irritation. From the CCL boards it seems that money is the most common reason most of the people choose Carnival.

Brian is an asset to the Cruise Critic community. You don't have to agree with him, but you should check out his posts before criticising him.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Stay away from the Carnival Boards if discussions of saving money, and the cost of "those other cruise lines with their MEGA ships" causes you irritation. From the CCL boards it seems that money is the most common reason most of the people choose Carnival.

.....and let me guess....BOOZE is the next common discussion on the Carnival boards......Hmmmmm there is a similarity isn't there.....;):D

.....and let me guess....BOOZE is the next common discussion on the Carnival boards......Hmmmmm there is a similarity isn't there.....;):D
Yes followed by proper MDR clothing discussions.

No, not much difference between the 2 boards except the people are classier here.;)

Archived