Anchorage Car Rental - Ship to Airport and Back

5ducksfans

Hi!

We are arriving in Anchorage on Fri 6/22 (HAL Amsterdam). We dock at 7 am and leave at 11 pm.

We are renting a car there and because we're using miles, we have to rent from Hertz at the airport. There are 6 of us.

Question: How do we get there and back? Are there taxis at the dock to pick us up? What about getting back? My biggest worry about a cab is whether we can get one directly from the Hertz office back to the ship or if we have to schlep back to the baggage claim area to find a taxi. Are there any other transportation options to/from Hertz?

And MOST of all - Is this just going to be a royal pain-in-the-*** and should we just buck up and rent from somewhere else?

Thanks in advance!

Your taxi costs are going to run in the $60+++ range round trip. I'd reconsider this type of booking for the small "perk" you are going to get for a single day rental.

Cabs should be readily available with just taking an elevator/escalator from the car rentals.

I'm assuming your on HAL which runs a free shuttle to and from downtown. There are car rental places downtown which would avoid the expense and time of the airport rental.

Taxis (and other cars) are not allowed to pull up next to the ship which is at a commercial dock. You would need to ride the shuttle for that trip in and out.

HAL has it all very well organized. Sad they are not running this 14 day cruise in 2013.

We rented a car both times we were on HAL Amsterdam (2010 and 2011) in Anchorage. There are cabs lined up as you get off the ship. We rented from Enterprise on 5th (I think it was 5th). The cab ride was $12 including tip. In 2010, our rental car was ridiculously inexpensive - $55.00 plus tax, in 2011, it was a bit more $89.00 - it had everything to do with the time of year I booked. The earlier the better for deals.

I'd skip the headaches and hassles of an airport rental and try an off-site one in town. Gave us so much freedom to go where we wanted when we wanted on our very long port day in Anchorage. Have a great time!

We rented a car both times we were on HAL Amsterdam (2010 and 2011) in Anchorage. There are cabs lined up as you get off the ship. We rented from Enterprise on 5th (I think it was 5th). The cab ride was $12 including tip. In 2010, our rental car was ridiculously inexpensive - $55.00 plus tax, in 2011, it was a bit more $89.00 - it had everything to do with the time of year I booked. The earlier the better for deals.

I'd skip the headaches and hassles of an airport rental and try an off-site one in town. Gave us so much freedom to go where we wanted when we wanted on our very long port day in Anchorage. Have a great time!

Thanks all for the great input. I think we might try to get a car downtown instead. I'm only concerned because we sail in 2 weeks and we need to fit 6 people. I'll see if I get sticker shock.

Archived