Do you all buy travel insurance??

I have been on three cruises so far and I always bought the travel insurance. It was anywhere between 140(for DH and I, 7 day long cruise)~ 200 range. (They charge certain percentage of the total cruise cost).

We are in our early 30's, very healthy and eat healthy, we are like the work out 6 times a week type people. Both DH and I never had any issues with our health, maybe catch cold once a year??

But I still bought the travel insurance just in case something goes wrong and if we get hurt, it can cost a lot.

The sum of insurance cost added up to more than 500 for just last 3 cruises...and I am starting to wonder if I should skip this time.

I wanted to hear from all of you what you do with travel insurances, if you all get it or not..... If you think it is worth it....

Please share your thoughts with me! Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Edited by smilegirl07

"Do you feel lucky?" (C. Eastwood) ;)

That was good! :D

I would not leave home with out insurance. Travel delay? Flight Cancellation? Lost Bags? Your insurance covers MORE than illness. OH and if it is sickness....Medivac? Coast Guard comes at no cost BUT private medivac can cost $12,000 just for them to leave there airport!

I'm not worried about my husband and my health - it's the ailing family members that could throw a monkey -wrench into the best-laid plans.

Also, the high cost of transporting one of us to a medical facility if needed could totally bankrupt us- so I just figure it's worth my peace of mind to pay the extra money for the insurance.

We actually used ours once - We couldn't fly back home after a cruise because of snow in our home airport- so we had to stay in San Juan 2 extra days until we could fly home(bummer, right?) :). The $300 a day our insurance paid was a godsend.

Skip it? you never know what can happen. Does your regular insurance cover you? Medivac? Healthy people can have issues as well and accidents DO happen.

I suggest NOT buying from the cruise line as its much much cheaper.

Hi, Rottweiler Puppy,

Do you have any suggestions of where to buy the trip insurance that is more affordable??

Thanks!

I always have insurance but never from Carnival. I paid $94 for 2 of us for 2 weeks. Shop around. I now have a new travel credit card that covers trips for 2 up to 21 days. The card cost $150 but you get $285 of your first trip plus the insurance.

We alway get insurance....we got off The Dream today and was late getting in and there were so many people that had to reschedule flights and plans and they were so upset....I asked one of the women if they had travel insurance and she said yes .... She had to pay $700 to change the flight and I think she said insurance would reimburse most all of it.

I don't know how much the seriously ill passenger that had to be airlifted cost....she is in a hospital in Puerto Rico so I hope she had insurance.

We always get the insurance. Two years ago DW got the flu three days before the cruise and we had to cancel. It was really smooth and we got our refund in three weeks. The way I look at it, we can take insurance for another 10 cruises before we reach break even.

Do you have any suggestions of where to buy the trip insurance that is more affordable??

Thanks!

As previously mentioned, check out www.insuremytrip.com you can compare different companies and what they offer in a side by side comparison. On our next two cruises, we chose Global Alert Preferred. It includes 500,000 in evacuation costs and 100,000 in medical expenses, which are two of the largest expenditures that might be needed. The best thing is that it was only 97.00 for our 10 day and 77.00 for our 6 day cruise, cheaper and with higher coverage numbers from what the cruise lines offer.

Yes buy insurance. You never know what might happen. You could get sick the week before, or get in a wreck on the way to the cruise. There are to many things that could happen. Better safe than sorry.

I have been on three cruises so far and I always bought the travel insurance. It was anywhere between 140(for DH and I, 7 day long cruise)~ 200 range. (They charge certain percentage of the total cruise cost).

We are in our early 30's, very healthy and eat healthy, we are like the work out 6 times a week type people. Both DH and I never had any issues with our health, maybe catch cold once a year??

But I still bought the travel insurance just in case something goes wrong and if we get hurt, it can cost a lot.

The sum of insurance cost added up to more than 500 for just last 3 cruises...and I am starting to wonder if I should skip this time.

I wanted to hear from all of you what you do with travel insurances, if you all get it or not..... If you think it is worth it....

Please share your thoughts with me! Many thanks in advance for your replies!

only simple minded people and those who cant get it travel overseas without travel insurance.

the $500 you spent on the past 3 cruises was money well spent,the reason for this is, you did have insurance!

I hope you continue,

We used to take the insurance but no more.

Medical insurance will cover us and if we ever had to be medivac would not break the bank.

If we miss a cruise due to travel delays figure the cost of all insurance covers cost of missed cruise and so be it.

The one and only reason I might not buy insurance is if I truly could afford whatever financial obstacle might occur along the way without it hurting my pocket book. Personally I could never do that, so YES buy insurance. We used it on our very first cruise when we were several hours late arriving back to our home port. Flight had to be changed. We had to book a hotel room for the night and we had to pay for an extra couple of meals. All covered by insurance.

I have it, but i don't have to pay extra for it. It's built into one of my Visa cards. I don't even have to pay for my cruise/flight with that particular Visa to use the medical insurance. I'm covered simply for being a cardholder.

Cancellation insurance is covered too. However, I have to pay for the cruise/flight with that particular Visa if I expect to have that coverage. Which is never a problem, because it gives me a rate of return of 4.5% in travel points if I book my travel on it.

It includes travel, medical, cancellation, trip delay, baggage delay, hotel burglary, rental car collision/liability/contents, and whole bunch of other stuff like purchase protection (90 days insurance for items purchased that aren't covered by manufacturers warranty, like if something is stolen, or I break it, or whatever), and double manufacturer warranty (which came in handy after our washing machine broke just before it's 2nd anniversary). I'm always surprised more people aren't aware of the coverage that you can get just for carrying a Visa/MC/Amex.

(edit. I have a Mastercard with the same travel coverage too, now that I think about it. It also triples the manufactures warranty and has 180 days purchase protection.)

Edited by rajones007

I have it, but i don't have to pay extra for it. It's built into one of my Visa cards. I don't even have to pay for my cruise/flight with that particular Visa to use the medical insurance. I'm covered simply for being a cardholder.

Cancellation insurance is covered too. However, I have to pay for the cruise/flight with that particular Visa if I expect to have that coverage.

It includes travel, medical, cancellation, trip delay, baggage delay, hotel burglary, rental car (and contents), and whole bunch of other stuff. I'm always surprised more people aren't aware of the coverage that you can get just for carrying a Visa/MC/Amex.

(edit. I have a Mastercard with the same coverage too, now that I think about it.)

If you don't mind, which VISA Card includes the Medical coverage?

thanks, Ken

We have always gotten insurance. After the frist couple of cruises though, we did nto get it through the cruise line. We use insuremytrip (as was mentioned in earlier posts) we can get it cheaper and can tailor it to what we need. If you already have flight cancellation, for example, through a credit card, you may just want to get medical, etc. You can get choose varied preexitsing conditions waivers an even "Cancel for any reason" coverage.

The peace of mind is definitely worth it for us.