Just off the star...

cruisekitty7

The menus for the Star should be the same as for the Golden, just in a slightly different order. I posted them last year here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29543536&postcount=7

Wow, thanks for that! Is there a place onboard to see what nights a specific menu is being served? We wanted to book sabbatinis one night when the menu was not to our liking. Or, do you have any thoughts on that?

Wow, thanks for that! Is there a place onboard to see what nights a specific menu is being served? We wanted to book sabbatinis one night when the menu was not to our liking. Or, do you have any thoughts on that?

The folk at Sabatini's should have copies of the dining room menus for you to check.

The menus for the Star should be the same as for the Golden, just in a slightly different order. I posted them last year here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29543536&postcount=7

So it's the same menu we had on the Emerald last yr or are they different ? ...hmm, Ok:D

But it all looks good... I just gained wt reviewing them...

So it's the same menu we had on the Emerald last yr or are they different ? ...hmm, Ok:D

They are the same we have had the last 3 summers in Alaska, and I haven't heard anyone mention any menu changes here recently. I keep hoping that Princess will completely revamp their menus so we can have something different, but I'm sure we'd hear about it all over these boards if it happened.

They are the same we have had the last 3 summers in Alaska, and I haven't heard anyone mention any menu changes here recently. I keep hoping that Princess will completely revamp their menus so we can have something different, but I'm sure we'd hear about it all over these boards if it happened.

I agree... we would find out about here first... there are some avid Princess cruisers...It does take quite a lot to revamp menus...

thanks again

CC

We were in San Fran on May 13th for boarding and we were sent a staggered time of 2:30pm. We actually went to Fisherman's Wharf (I had never been) and had lunch on the pier since we were going to eat on the ship for 10 days! We dropped out luggage at 12 and got in line at 2pm - no one said anything either time, but we were told that since they were loading two ships side by side (the Star I believe was right next to the Sea) the staggarded boarding was supposed to help the extra crowds. They also had a 3rd ship on another pier - the Island I think. Maybe they only enforce in the begining to try and limit the crowds when they have multiple ships turning over in port? I didn't care about missing one lunch but we noticed some complaining loudly about it.

What about formal night? were they enforcing the Jackets for men?

I always dress up anyhow... I just love fashion :p

CC

I have not seen the dress code enforced on any ship I have sailed. Just be neat and clean. Sometimes I wear my blazer and sometimes not but never a tie.

I maybe uninformed, but why do people want to know the menus on a ship.

I'm not quite sure but maybe it's to plan on what they'll be eating on a particular night. I personally can't see planning my life to the done to a single meal on a certain night but some people do. :confused:

I wish they would relax the formal night dress code just a little, especially for the men. For those who want to avoid extra luggage fees on flights, bringing a tux or even a sport jacket can make that difficult. A shirt and tie should be all that is required, though fine to "suggest" something dressier. It is easier for the gals, just a fancy or glittery top paired with pants or a skirt that can be used at other times will work. I think rules and enforcement should be standard fleetwide, so we know what is required and what the minimum is that we can get away with. It is frustrating to incur luggage fees to comply, only to see others not complying getting in. I used to enjoy formal nights more, but now I try hard to travel light. You can still "dress up" and look special without actually going formal.

Unofficially they have relaxed the dress code for the guys. They most times can get by with a long sleeve dress shirt & dress pants and sometimes with even less depending of the ship. Of course you'll be among the minority who choose to do their own thing but it will suffice.

Yes, and the dress code for the women is almost non-existent. They can't wear jeans with holes in them or tank tops or swim suits, but lots of them wear just about anything else including jeans, t-shirts, flip flops, etc. Seems like rules are mostly just to make the guys uncomfortable.

That said, lots of women were dressed up and looked incredible... It's a really fun time to do something different. Where we life in Oregon people look at you like you have a disease if you show up at a restaurant in a tux. It's nice to be able to have that kind of event. If we don't want to dress up we just go to the buffet one of the nights. We were recently on a 12 day cruise that had 3 formal nights which seemed excessive to us so we skipped one of them. We didn't try to dumb down the fun for others, we just went elsewhere and had a really nice quiet dinner at the buffet (actually true since it was pretty empty that night).

I don't really care what others are wearing, but I really appreciate the chance to have dressing up be the norm for those nights. It's something we don't often get to do on land.

Tom

Unofficially they have relaxed the dress code for the guys. They most times can get by with a long sleeve dress shirt & dress pants and sometimes with even less depending of the ship. Of course you'll be among the minority who choose to do their own thing but it will suffice.

I've never seen them enforce the dress code by requiring a jacket and tie for men on formal nights. Most men who choose to go to the dining room make an effort. I was stunned when our tablemate who wore camouflage pants with a T-shirt on smart casual nights showed up in tuxedo on formal night. Even he got it.

But on our upcoming Alaskan cruise, we're scaling back due to luggage issues. I'll pack us sports coats to wear instead of taking our tuxedos.

I maybe uninformed, but why do people want to know the menus on a ship.

For most, it is just curiosity. If they have never been on a cruise before, or maybe never on Princess, they want some idea of the food that is offered. Others may be planning to go to one or both of the specialty restaurants, and they want to see the menus so they can figure out which night(s) they don't mind missing. Me? I'm just an over-planner. :o

Yes, and the dress code for the women is almost non-existent. They can't wear jeans with holes in them or tank tops or swim suits, but lots of them wear just about anything else including jeans, t-shirts, flip flops, etc. Seems like rules are mostly just to make the guys uncomfortable.

That said, lots of women were dressed up and looked incredible... It's a really fun time to do something different. Where we life in Oregon people look at you like you have a disease if you show up at a restaurant in a tux. It's nice to be able to have that kind of event. If we don't want to dress up we just go to the buffet one of the nights. We were recently on a 12 day cruise that had 3 formal nights which seemed excessive to us so we skipped one of them. We didn't try to dumb down the fun for others, we just went elsewhere and had a really nice quiet dinner at the buffet (actually true since it was pretty empty that night).

I don't really care what others are wearing, but I really appreciate the chance to have dressing up be the norm for those nights. It's something we don't often get to do on land.

Tom

In our day to day life, the Mr. & I never have an occasion to get dressed up so we are looking forward to it (even if we are in the minority!) I've bought two dresses and he's rented the tux. We are hoping for some special nights and a nice picture or two to share with our Moms! :)

For most, it is just curiosity. If they have never been on a cruise before, or maybe never on Princess, they want some idea of the food that is offered. Others may be planning to go to one or both of the specialty restaurants, and they want to see the menus so they can figure out which night(s) they don't mind missing. Me? I'm just an over-planner. :o

I'm guilty of all of the above! I love reading menus, but then again, I love reading cookbooks too! :D So, if you share the menus I'll be reading them!!

I'm guilty of all of the above! I love reading menus, but then again, I love reading cookbooks too! :D So, if you share the menus I'll be reading them!!

But do you also search for pictures of the food and look through hundreds of photos? Some might think it's crazy, but heck, I'm not the one who took photos of all my food! :p

BTW, I did post a link to menus back on the first page of this thread, in case you missed them.

I did read last month something about the Star changing their menus. The poster had copies of what he called the old menus and had been told there were new ones coming. I have been keeping a close watch but nothing else has been mentioned.

Is this ever really enforced anywhere? I've never seen it. I'm leaving on Star next Sunday; wasn't even planning on bringing my suit this time just to reduce the luggage I'm taking a little. Was going to just wear a shirt and tie on formals.

I hope you are planning on going to the buffet for dinner.

I love looking at the menus while I'm at work - makes it easier to pretend that the lean cuisine is edible ;)

120 days until I get the GOOD fettucini :D sigh

Archived