Dear Great American Steamboat Company:

I sure hope all the problems really are fixed. We are avid Crystal Cruise fans and my husband wants to go on the American Queen in December with Paul Revere and the Raiders and Gary Pucket. Haven't booked it yet, but will probably do so. Any particular cabin advice? Thanks

It sounds as if the problems are fixed, if this review is any indication. Like you, we have sailed mostly luxury ocean cruises (Regent) and this will be something new for us. I don't expect GASC to be anything like Regent, or for that matter much like any trip we have experienced before. That is part of the fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Really curious to hear about the cruise. I have put a downpayment on a December cruise with my daughters. AM ready to cancel if reviews don't improve.

All the recent reviews I have seen have been nothing but positive. In fact, VERY VERY positive with a lot of emphasis on how things have improved. And I have been searching the internet regularly. I saw some negatives after the first few trips, before they worked out their start up issues. Have you seen anything negative lately? Or are your concerns based on the early reviews?

I just did a per diem cost for the American Queen vs our 5th Crystal Cruise booked for 2014. For the same level of cabin, the American Queen is TWICE the cost of Crystal. That is really hard to swallow. I'm really rethinking this River experience.

I just did a per diem cost for the American Queen vs our 5th Crystal Cruise booked for 2014. For the same level of cabin, the American Queen is TWICE the cost of Crystal. That is really hard to swallow. I'm really rethinking this River experience.

Unfortunately American flagged ships have to pay the crew wages based on US standards ..where the ocean cruises do not they can hire crew from 3rd world countries at a fraction of the cost where the crew depend on tips from the passengers

Their living expenses in their home countries are a lot less than in the USA

Try living on less than a $1000. a month in North America & supporting your family

just my 2 cents

I just did a per diem cost for the American Queen vs our 5th Crystal Cruise booked for 2014. For the same level of cabin, the American Queen is TWICE the cost of Crystal.

Your analysis might be correct as I only glanced at the Crystal page which seems to indicate a daily cost of $300+ a day per person.

I don't know whether you factored in the cost of airfare to the South Pacific and the cost of tours of the various ports and other miscellaneous costs.

Tours are included in the American Queen and the costs are fairly comparable. As you are from New Orleans, I imagine the cost of airfare, assuming you start at the far extreme of where the American Queen travels (St.Paul), would be much less, and if you start and end at New Orleans, you would not have the cost of airfare.

Unfortunately American flagged ships have to pay the crew wages based on US standards ..where the ocean cruises do not they can hire crew from 3rd world countries at a fraction of the cost where the crew depend on tips from the passengers

Their living expenses in their home countries are a lot less than in the USA

Try living on less than a $1000. a month in North America & supporting your family

just my 2 cents

You're so right about the wages for the crew on the AQ. Also those hard working Americans work for five or six weeks and then go home for two weeks. For the Coast Guard licensed officers it's a month on and then a month off. Foreign flagged ships offer contracts that are six months long. It cost the American company much more to rotate the crew as they do.

I'm already booked for my second AQ trip which is in October, and I've traveled in Queens Grill on Cunard numerous times.

Considering one of these cruises for our 25th anniversary. Living in Texas, it doesn't sound like there are any ports we have not visited... nor does that seem a concern to either of us.

Trying to sell my husband on anything but HAL or seaborn is another question...

I am researching when I can...

Thanks for details of your cruise.

Considering one of these cruises for our 25th anniversary. Living in Texas, it doesn't sound like there are any ports we have not visited... nor does that seem a concern to either of us.

Trying to sell my husband on anything but HAL or seaborn is another question...

I am researching when I can...

Thanks for details of your cruise.

Have you been to Marietta, Ohio or Pt. Pleasant, West Virginia? If not a trip on the upper Ohio River between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh is wonderful. On the Ohio River small farm towns mix with industrial cities. Have you been to Pittsburg Landing (Shiloh National Battlefield) on the Tennessee River and walked the rolling farmland where a thousand died fighting for their country? If you haven't, the trip to or from Chattanooga offers spectacular scenery and heart wrenching moments. How about Red Wing on the Upper Mississippi River? Between St. Louis and St. Paul there are beautiful flower lined streets in historic little towns. Then again during the late October voyages between the Saints there could be snow covering the streets!

I can't speak to Seabourn cruises, but the last cruise that I made before my AMERICAN QUEEN trip, June 16 to 21, was the EURODAM last May 4 to 11. The entertainment on the AQ was excellent and the quality of the musicians left the HALCats in the dust. The food on the AMERICAN QUEEN was not as bountiful as on the EURODAM but the quality and detail was better. Although the service for the sit down evening meals in the J.M.WHITE Dining Room on the AMERICAN QUEEN was heads above what I received for anytime dining on the EURODAM, lunch and buffet meal service on the AQ ranged from very good to poor.

I see that you are from Tyler, Texas. At one time on the DELTA QUEEN one of her first class pilots was also frm Tyler. Capt. Lexie started working as a maid and worked her way up to a pilot. Although she could have been the boat's captain, Lexie preferred to be a pilot. Now she lives out in Colorado.

Never priced Crystal (too formal for me), but was of the impression that it was in the same price range as SilverSea, Seabourne and Regent. I've sailed Regent twice and many times on Oceania, and I found the American Queen pricing just a little more than Oceania and a little less than Regent, all things considered.

It's a moot point for me, however, because the American Queen offering is so unique compared to ocean cruising that it is in a niche of its own and can't be compared to ocean cruising. Comparing it to price is about as good as comparing NCL to Crystal, in my opinion -- apples to oranges.

It's a moot point for me, however, because the American Queen offering is so unique compared to ocean cruising that it is in a niche of its own and can't be compared to ocean cruising. Comparing it to price is about as good as comparing NCL to Crystal, in my opinion -- apples to oranges.

I agree whole heartedly. As the British would say it's chalk and cheese.

All the recent reviews I have seen have been nothing but positive. In fact, VERY VERY positive with a lot of emphasis on how things have improved. And I have been searching the internet regularly. I saw some negatives after the first few trips, before they worked out their start up issues. Have you seen anything negative lately? Or are your concerns based on the early reviews?

THL (Julie) .... Wondering the same?

To All: My friends are booked on American Queen out of New Orleans in December and would like for us to go with them. We can't this time but looks inviting for the future. Would still apprecate any info for them now and us in the future.

LuLu

• 1 month later...
THL (Julie) .... Wondering the same?

To All: My friends are booked on American Queen out of New Orleans in December and would like for us to go with them. We can't this time but looks inviting for the future. Would still apprecate any info for them now and us in the future.

LuLu

Alright --- a quick little update. IT WAS WONDERFUL !! The boat is wonderful, very nicely decorated. The public rooms are gorgeous, with quality antiques tastefully arranged. Every nook and cranny had something interesting or beautiful. The theater is maybe the prettiest I have ever seen on a boat/ship. Our cabin was comfy and decorated in classy Victorian style. It was a suite, and thus very nice, but I saw others and they were nice, too. I could have gone down two catagories and been just as comfy. Food was better than most ocean cruises or European river cruises we have been on. Dining staff was the best ever...they all did an outstanding job at all meals. Nobody screwed up, nobody was slow, no orders were gotten wrong, nobody made us wait. I was very aware of the previous reviews and believe me, I had my eyes wide open. Not one single thing on those reviews happened...in all 12 days. Everybody to a man/woman was over the top professional, friendly, correct, quick, and most of them did their jobs with a happy attitude and delightful sense of humor. Our room steward was fast and efficient, and oh so nice. We didnt have to ask for anything. When I did ask for something (extra towels) I got them in about two minutes. The shore excursions went smoothly, the busses are plush, the entertainment was top notch. We will be back.

Alright --- a quick little update. IT WAS WONDERFUL !! The boat is wonderful, very nicely decorated. The public rooms are gorgeous, with quality antiques tastefully arranged. Every nook and cranny had something interesting or beautiful. The theater is maybe the prettiest I have ever seen on a boat/ship. Our cabin was comfy and decorated in classy Victorian style. It was a suite, and thus very nice, but I saw others and they were nice, too. I could have gone down two catagories and been just as comfy. Food was better than most ocean cruises or European river cruises we have been on. Dining staff was the best ever...they all did an outstanding job at all meals. Nobody screwed up, nobody was slow, no orders were gotten wrong, nobody made us wait. I was very aware of the previous reviews and believe me, I had my eyes wide open. Not one single thing on those reviews happened...in all 12 days. Everybody to a man/woman was over the top professional, friendly, correct, quick, and most of them did their jobs with a happy attitude and delightful sense of humor. Our room steward was fast and efficient, and oh so nice. We didnt have to ask for anything. When I did ask for something (extra towels) I got them in about two minutes. The shore excursions went smoothly, the busses are plush, the entertainment was top notch. We will be back.

If you remembered, we were on this same sailing. We had cabin 417...and yes, after looking at the river view cabins, we could have also moved down a few notches and been satisfied.

Your assessment of all the staff was absolutely identical to ours...to a person. Don't remember ever getting better service..anywhere.

The hop-o hop-off bus was winner for us. Good narrations by the guides.

The only problem we had was with the food. Not being from the real South, we experienced some new and interesting tastes and as a result, ate too much put on a few pounds. :D

Wasn't the house band teriffic? We got to listen and dance a bit. The sailing after ours had the alternate band. The change every 4 weeks.

I really hope the Boat Line makes it and stays in business. They seem to have many employees and they pay them well along with full medical benefits, etc. That's why the cost of sailing is so high, but for us it was a wonderful experience. As you are aware, our sailing was maybe 50% full. Can't get too far with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of this information! I was just looking into a December holiday cruise because I was reading the article in the recent Cruise Travel magazine and it just sounds intriguing. I haven't been in that area of the country and I've never done a river cruise so this seems like a good way to try one. The prices are higher, but you get quite a few things that seem to offset that - excursions, wine, beer, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed reading all of the postings on this thread. I am beginning to plan our cruise for 2013. This would be our 5th US River cruise.

Yes the cost is higher than most of the other large cruise companies. I am glad to see shore excursions included. That is generally not the case. The over night in a very nice hotel pre-cruise also pushes the price up. I figure I would have spent that money anyway. It would have hit my credit card after I returned home. This way, it is all paid up front.

I was really impressed to see a high ranking official with the company respond to a poster's complaints.

I just wish someone would buy the Delta Queen and make it river travel ready again, and then Congress get off their butts, and grant the variance to the Coast Guard rule about wooden superstructures and let the DQ sail overnight on the US Rivers again. The DQ is a great boat. The biggest joke of all was the Coast Guard saying the DQ was unsafe to sail anymore, but they let it sail the entire 2008 season. If it truly was unsafe then it should have been pulled from the river immediately. We sailed on it late in the 2008 season. It was perfectly safe to me. Our plan is to spend a few nights on the "hotel" DQ in Chattanooga after the AQ cruise - providing that the DQ does not get sold and moved to Tampa.

Everyone, please keep posting your comments.

Roger

• 1 month later...

We took the Hootenanny cruise from St.Paul to St. Louis. We had taken 5 riverboat cruises previously with the old company. We were hesitant because of some of the reviews. So glad we did this, it was wonderful in every way.

The entertainment was Judy Collins, Kingston Trio, Jug Band, a terrific house band, and 4 entertainers who put on two complete shows. We encountered a Riverlorian from previous Mississippi Queen cruises and the entertainment director was also a friendly face from previous trips.

The food was spectacular and the servers friendly and competent! I had a walker and every courtesy was extended to me to make it easier to get around. In fact several people had walkers or wheelchairs and the staff helped when needed.

The boat was beautiful! Stained glass lamps all over the Mark Twain room and comfortable sofas and chairs.

The first night we spent in a luxury hotel in St. Paul as part of the trip. Photos and ID cards were all done in comfort at the hotel so when the bus came to take us to the boat, we just had to board, no fuss. All in all, a wonderful trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While the responses to Texas Horse Lady are more positive, I am still somewhat concerned byt some of the reviews and comments. My final payment (a whopping one) is not due until March. I am still anxious and making up my mind. The response from management sounded hopeful. I would like to hear more from the paying customers.

I have started to receive emails from the AQ Steamboat Company, and have looked thru all the literature, plus this thread. We've been on 10 Carnival cruises and a Norwegian. Next year we are booked with Norwegian to cruise the Hawaiian Islands, and I can't wait! Between the cost of NCL and AQ, it will mean a couple of years before we can do the river, but it is definitely on my list. As I said, I have looked thru all the online information, but I was a little confused about meals. Are they included in the price? I assumed yes but then saw something about 'free wine and desserts' so I wasn't sure. It's a silly question but I have to have all my ducks in a row to present to my hubby! LOL Also, did I read that shore excursions are included in the price as well? That would certainly make the cost a lot easier to swallow!

Thanks, and Happy Sails,

Tina

Tina, yes all meals are included in the price. Wine, choice of red or white, is included with dinner. Lastly, your price includes shore excursions in each port using a hop on - hop off steamcoach (bus) system. They will also offer you premium excursions at each port that are away from the port area. On the upper Mississippi river, we took just one premium excursion. Thoroughly enjoyed the included choices. If you have the time check out some of the reviews written this fall for some in-depth information and impressions.

While the responses to Texas Horse Lady are more positive, I am still somewhat concerned byt some of the reviews and comments. My final payment (a whopping one) is not due until March. I am still anxious and making up my mind. The response from management sounded hopeful. I would like to hear more from the paying customers.

I don't know if you read my on board posting .. my husband and I did a lower Mississippi cruise on AQ in December. We are also seasoned cruisers - actually - Crystal (you can't get much better than that)! We loved the AQ experience - the service was great, the food was good, accomodations were very nice. Everything was wonderful. We will go again. You won't be disappointed.

Archived