Dear Great American Steamboat Company:

There is considerable difference between cruise lines. Just because one enjoys brand A does not mean they will feel the same about brand B. Carnival and NCL in my very humble opinion, and I've been on them both more than once, offer an entirely different experience that one would get on the AMERICAN QUEEN.

I would decide what is important for you when you cruise. If it's a party atmosphere with a young crowd, the AQ probably isn't for you. If being surrounded at the pool by fellow passengers with the hairy belly contest going on, I'd think twice about the AQ. There are no buckets full of beer bottles specials on the AQ, but I know from experience that at the Engineroom Bar you can get a wonderful Hendricks Gin martini. You can expect a laid back experience on the AQ, with good food, a front row seat to view America, and to learn a bit about this great country. You will also fall asleep in your stateroom on a bed that no other cruise line, and I've been on numerous lines, can match!

My suggestion is for you to make a list of what you expect during a cruise, and to post it here. Wait and see what comments your posting brings forth, and then decide.

...You will also fall asleep in your stateroom on a bed that no other cruise line, and I've been on numerous lines, can match!
The beds are almost as comfortable as those on Oceania, and that's really saying something. In fact, I would declare them equal, except that my AQ bed tended to come apart in the middle (like almost all cruise beds, they are two twins put together).

But, as I learned, the fact that they were like Oceania is not surprising, as Mr. Waggoner (the owner) told me Oceania is his favorite Ocean cruise line, and he was definitely trying to emulate much that they do. A number of their staff, including the Hotel Director and a senior Vice President, were formerly with Oceania.

Let me add to Calliope's comparison to say that if you like modern furniture, built in furniture, minimalist glass and steel, and glitzy colors, AQ is probably not for you. It is as close to an authentic Victorian river boat decorator theme as it's possible to get. I loved it.

In fact, I loved everything about it, after 18 days on it last Summer, and have booked another cruise this coming August. I have at least two more itineraries on AQ on my bucket list. I plan to do St. Paul to St. Louis in the Fall of 2014, and a Christmas season cruise from New Orleans, to see the bonfires on the levees and the decorated plantations, in 2015, God willing and the creek don't rise :cool:).

Thank you for the info. I always like to thoroughly research a cruise line before choosing a trip. We have done the Caribbean exhaustively, Alaska, Hawaii next year. I have no interest in seeing Europe before I see more of the US, so my next logical choice was a river cruise. Both my husband and I love the Old South and American History, so we ar every excited about the prospect.

• 1 month later...
We took the Hootenanny cruise from St.Paul to St. Louis. ... The entertainment was Judy Collins, Kingston Trio, Jug Band, a terrific house band, and 4 entertainers who put on two complete shows.

These were THE Judy Collins and Kingston Trio??? Was this entertainment only for this specific cruise, or are these typical of the entertainers on the boat all the time? Is there an entertainment schedule I can look at when making a reservation? thanks ...

These were THE Judy Collins and Kingston Trio??? Was this entertainment only for this specific cruise, or are these typical of the entertainers on the boat all the time? Is there an entertainment schedule I can look at when making a reservation? thanks ...

Sometimes the entertainers are not solidly booked until a realtively short time before a cruise, but I think you could always call the home office and ask.

As for the caliber of entertainers, the ship singers on both our previous voyages were fabulous, talented, hard-working youngsters from a Memphis talent agency. The best known of our outside entertainment was Bobby Horton, who has been responsible for most of the music in all of the Ken Burns history docudramas, including the recent Dust Bowl series.

• 2 months later...
While the responses to Texas Horse Lady are more positive, I am still somewhat concerned byt some of the reviews and comments. My final payment (a whopping one) is not due until March. I am still anxious and making up my mind. The response from management sounded hopeful. I would like to hear more from the paying customers.

I am the original poster of this thread, and since it's been a while I thought I might check in. How fun to see people are still talking about the American Queen Steamship cruises and addressing my original thoughts and questions!

We went on that Civil War cruise last year and my husband and I agree it was one of the best cruises we have ever done. And that is saying something...have done some really nice ones which I thought would be hard to beat, like the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti and a few luxurious Med cruises that were absolute dream trips.

The American Queen far surpassed our expectations in every catagory. The boat was more gorgeous than I thought it would be. The pictures online don't do it justice...you really do feel as if you are stepping back in time with the old world decor and attention to detail. Whoever decorated that boat deserves a big gold star! We booked a suite, which was beautiful, but we made a point to check out all the different cabin types and came to the conclusion that any of them would have been nice. Even the inside cabins were cute.

The food was excellent and so was the service at every meal. I asked for a few special requests (Mediterranean Diet) and they did a great job of meeting them. Our waiter at dinner was super attentive and funny...in fact she told us a different joke each night, remembered our preferences, and greeted us by name. We never waited for anything, and wine was refilled in glasses before they needed refilling. Everybody seemed genuinely happy and friendly, and the wait staff could not have been more pleasant.

The entertainment was delightful, from the lobby piano player who stopped in the middle of a song and announced "TEXAS!" every time we walked by to Bob in the Engine Room bar who was so entertaining and fun that we would have gladly paid money to see his show on land. On top of all that, the Civil War lecturers, PBS crew, authors, and story tellers they had onboard kept us on the edge of our seats every evening with personal stories behind the civil war.

Whatever growing pains and problems the American Queen went through seem to be well and truly over. I hope anybody researching this cruise line won't be influenced by the early bad reviews.

We have booked another trip and are looking forward to going from St Paul to St Louis in the Good Ol' Summertime :D

Texashorselady - What a great review. I'm glad your concerns were unfounded. My wife and I will be doing the July 12th St Paul to St Louis trip , in honor of our 30th anniversary. If that's the one you'll be on, I'm sure we'll run into each other.

Great to read about people's experiences on the American Queen - and thanks for starting this thread Texas Horse Lady! We're from UK and will be on the AQ for a week from 19 May going from Memphis to New Orleans - we can't wait! I'll do a little write up when we get back, and if anyone else is on the same trip as us do please leave a post! All good wishes.

Archived