Windsurf Cabin 133

Riverroad

We just booked the Windsurf for Aug. 3, Venice to Rome. This was the only cabin available other than the suites. Anyone have any experience with this cabin? We are waitlisted for an "A" cabin but I'm not optimistic.

We were in 154, so we can't comment on that specific stateroom. We will state, however, that there's no difference between A and B staterooms, and that 133 is midships, so it's probably pretty good. Have your TA check to make sure it's not right by the ice machine, since that would make th room noisy. You also may be directly beneath the gang plank - again, have the TA check that.

From the brochure picture, it doesn't look like it would be near an ice machine & I believe the gangplank is much further back. This is from my recollection of being on Windsurf last year in an "A" cabin. Any problems you experiencced from being in a "B" cabin? I know I worry too much.

Ice machines. You reply caused me to look up a review on Cruise Opinion by Howard French at http://www.cruiseopinion.com/windstar-windsurfkr.htm He indicates that: "You might want to avoid rooms 128/129/240/241 as they are across from ice machines." 133 is a bit further away. No, we didn't have a problem with a B room. In high seas they closed off the portholes, but other than that (and based on our discussions with fellow cruisers) there's almost no difference between A and B.

Don't put much stock in the diagrams, since they are not to scale. 154 looks on the chart as if it's way in the back (because it's the last cabin). Actually, there are many crew quarters rooms past it, so its not that far from midships.

In terms of actual size there is no difference between the A and B cabins. Only in terms of which deck you are on. When Carnival Corp took over Windstar cruises along with Holland America they decided to change the cabin price structure to the same as they do on the big ships, bottom cabins lower price and it gets more money as you go up and out. of course Suites are in a league of their own.

The only true difference in the A and the B cabins is about US$100.00.... thats it.

Have a great time on the Surf.

We were on the Surf in March AND in room 241. The now-famous ice-machine issue I can put to sleep. There IS indeed an ice-machine between the two hallways across from room 241. The crew uses it (we did too once or twice).

However, we never heard it, unless we opened the door. We never slept with the door open, so sleeping was never a problem.

Also, A and B rooms are the exact same rooms except the $100 AND the extra flight of stairs. My folks always used the forward elevator from Deck-2 and never it found it to be out of order. I understand others have.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from two weeks aboard Windsurf, Rome to Venice and had two cabins, 220 and 139. I can tell you from personal experience that there is indeed a difference in noise levels between the two floors!

The first week we were in 220, right next to the gangway that was used when tendering...and honestly, the noise was no problem whatsoever, and as for privacy, we just closed the portholes so no one could look in when boarding or leaving the ship. It would not be my first choice in a cabin, but we were not inconvenienced at all, even when the ship anchored at 7 AM a couple of days and the gangplank was lowered....we were up and about and ready to go ashore anyway.

However, room 139 was a different story. Located amidships, we had a terrible first night with an unknown noise that woke us from a sound sleep at 11:30 PM and again at 4:00 AM. It sounded as if we were in the middle of the wash cycle of an industrial sized washing machine! The next day, after quite a bit of hassle finding someone who could identify the noise, we found out that it was a macerater pump disposing of "grey water" (shower water, etc...not sewage), which had to be done while the ship was at least 12 miles offshore. We were assure that it would not happen again during the week when our sleep would be interrupted, and except for one other occasion, it wasn't. We also experienced hot water issues in the shower in this cabin, which was annoying.

This was our only negative cabin experience in nine cruised with WindStar, all of which were on second floor cabins previously. We will NOT book a first floor cabin again, if we can possibly avoid it!

Archived