Question on to how cancel cruise?

kgreene87

DH and I are scheduled on Carnival Valor for 10/16/05, unfortunately we will not be able to travel during this time and need to cancel our reservation. I have called (left a message) and emailed my TA and have not heard back from her or anyone in her office. It's been 3 days. I called Carnival and was told that since I booked through a TA that I would have to deal with her to cancel.

How long should I give her to get back with me before trying to go up the Carnival food chain to try and get my deposit back? Has anyone else had to deal with this issue? How was it resolved?

Thanks for any construcyive input.

DH and I are scheduled on Carnival Valor for 10/16/05, unfortunately we will not be able to travel during this time and need to cancel our reservation. I have called (left a message) and emailed my TA and have not heard back from her or anyone in her office. It's been 3 days. I called Carnival and was told that since I booked through a TA that I would have to deal with her to cancel.

How long should I give her to get back with me before trying to go up the Carnival food chain to try and get my deposit back? Has anyone else had to deal with this issue? How was it resolved?

Call and ask to speak with a supervisor at the travel agency.

I'd definitely call your TA one last time and ask her to kindly return your call, as you have an issue with a trip you booked through her. Say that you are confused as to why she has not called you back, and that if you do not hear from her by the end of the day, you are going to have to try her supervisor.

That is ridiculously poor service.

How long should I give her to get back with me before trying to go up the Carnival food chain to try and get my deposit back?

I could be wrong here (don't think so) but I don't even think Carnival has your money yet, seeing that you're booked for an October cruise. I think you better start up the chain of command at the Travel Agent's office instead.

I had a communication problem with a cruise TA (who shall remain anonymous). She responded when she felt like it. Not good enough. I pulled out and went with someone else.

Carnival definitely has your money! Once we paid our deposit and I looked at the Carnival website I was able to book excursions and we don't leave until two weeks after you were supposed to sail. Bug your agent....I dealt with someone similar...never again! :o

I cancelled a Cruise for this coming Dec.2005 on the new Carnival Liberty last Monday. I booked it in January on My credit Card and withing 48hrs. Carnival had my money. So I called My Travel Agent last Monday and He told me He would take care of the cancellation but just send him an E-mail stating I gave Him authorization to cancel the cruise. Put in booking Number, Ship, date of Saililng and how I wanted my deposit credited. I did all that and by Friday Carnival had credited my credit card. No problem at all. I would call and talk to the Supervisor or anyone that picks up the phone and tell them this is very important and why hasn't this person called you back. I would never use this TA again.

Carnival billed my credit card back in Nov 04. That is why I called them after I had not heard from my TA.

I could be wrong here (don't think so) but I don't even think Carnival has your money yet, seeing that you're booked for an October cruise. I think you better start up the chain of command at the Travel Agent's office instead.

I had a communication problem with a cruise TA (who shall remain anonymous). She responded when she felt like it. Not good enough. I pulled out and went with someone else.

I'm going to give the agency until the EOB tomorrow to give me a response. If I have not gotten an answer on my refund, I'm going to call Carnival back and have them try and reach the agency with me on the line. At that point I intend to deal directly with Carnival since they have my deposit.

Thanks again,

Generally Carnival will not be of any assistance to you to reach the TA. They will basically tell you you're on your own for that one! I wouldn't wait for EOB tomorrow... I would start first thing in the morning with a call to first line supervisor and then by noon head my way up the management ranks. Something sounds amiss..... but I fear you will not get any help from Carnival.

oh Carnival has the money. Deposits usually are charged within 24-48hrs.

We had booked for Oct on a CC group C, had to cancel. I was told it could take up to 2 mons to get our monies back we already pd. We booked another cruise ALSO on carnival with our local TA, Carnival won't transfer the money over from one booking to another ( which to me is stupid) so we had to pay at least the $500. to re-book, and wait for carnival to refund the cancelled booking monies ( over $1,000) I sure hope it doesn't take the 2 mons they said it could, their gaining interest on MY money:eek: :eek: I really just don't get why they can't transfer it over,kwim

Thanks for all your replies ~ There's a quebecois expression that (translated loosely) says: "I'll go to bed less stupid tonight", which I will! :o

I'll stay on the sidelines here, listen and learn.

Good luck with the refund!

Cheeky

I sure hope it doesn't take the 2 mons they said it could, their gaining interest on MY money:eek: :eek: I really just don't get why they can't transfer it over,kwim

I can tell ya it doesn't take up to 2 mons, lol I happened to be paying some bills this morning online and noticed that my 2nd deposit amt was refunded. When I had first cancelled with Kevin and he did the refund, he forgot/overlooked my 2nd deposit. So after contacting him back, he had to do another refund. ( one of the 29th when we cancelled for 500. then Monday morning May 2nd for the another amt I pd.) well the 2nd payment amt I made was refunded already, but the first initial deposit of 500 wasn't, lol go figure. It should have been first as it was done friday. Hey I"m not complaining it wasn't nearly as long as they said it "could" take :)

Another possibility - I am not defending your TA but, in some cases, TAs work alone (which is the case with my TA, she is a one woman operation) but, she was upfront about that in the very beginning and, she never made herself appear to be more than she was, so, when I can't reach her immediately, I know that she will get back to me, it's just a matter of when. I know this isn't much comfort in an emergency situation but, at least my travel agent does have an answering system and an emergency hotline for travel assistant when she is either vacationing or has taken ill. I really feel bad for you that you can't reach your TA - you might want to file a complaint with the CLIA organization if she doesn't touch base soon! Good luck!

You are wrong. If the TA has the deposit, that's wrong. The should give the cruiseline your credit card info for the deposit right away. The TA has no right to delay that.

I'm going to give the agency until the EOB tomorrow to give me a response. If I have not gotten an answer on my refund, I'm going to call Carnival back and have them try and reach the agency with me on the line. At that point I intend to deal directly with Carnival since they have my deposit.

Thanks again,

Any Updates??

You are wrong. If the TA has the deposit, that's wrong. The should give the cruiseline your credit card info for the deposit right away. The TA has no right to delay that.

A few posts above, Cheeky apologized and said he/she had learned something new...

Carnival has the deposit money, definitely.

Mark T.

• 2 weeks later...
Any Updates??

Liberty,

As of today 5/16/05, I still don't have a credit from Carnival. My TA has not called me back. She did email me on the 9th, asking for my reason for cancelling, so that she could let Carnival know, but I have not heard from her since. I have called and emailed her several times. I have called Carnvial as well, and they are telling me that since this is showing up as a group booking they can not help me. I just sent an email to group sales asking for my refund and they are supposed to respond w/in 48 hours.

I have always used TA's, but this experience has sourly me greatly. I think that I'll pay the difference in price and book w/Carnival directly from henceforth.

Sorry this is still happening. It's been a week since your TA has spoken with you about this. That's just not acceptable. You mentioned she was part of an agency. I would definitely be calling and asking for a supervisor. If she IS the supervisor, then I'd leave a message on her voicemail telling her that you are irritated that she has not called you back and that you are befuddled as to why she has not. You have lots of friends that were interested in cruises and you were going to recommend her to them, but now you feel like the service is not up to par.

Does anyone even bother to read all the replies anymore these days???? :p :D ;)

I didn't bother to read the replies. I have no time for that. Do you even think I have enuf time to read my own posts.

Cancellation charges for individual bookings will be assessed as listed below.

from

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

Sorry this is still happening. It's been a week since your TA has spoken with you about this. That's just not acceptable. You mentioned she was part of an agency. I would definitely be calling and asking for a supervisor. If she IS the supervisor, then I'd leave a message on her voicemail telling her that you are irritated that she has not called you back and that you are befuddled as to why she has not. You have lots of friends that were interested in cruises and you were going to recommend her to them, but now you feel like the service is not up to par.

Blackwing,

This is a family run business. So she is the agent, supervisor, owner, complaint department, etc.. Unfortuntately my calls to her are picked up my her voice mail. When I have called from my home phone, she does not answer, regardless of the time of day. However, the one time she did pick up in the past two weeks, I called from my cell phone. (Hmm.......I wonder if that's because my cell phone does not register on caller ID).

I only pray that Carnival will be of some assistance now that I have put it in writing. I'm not very hopeful though.

I checked my credit card online this morning and found that I had a credit from Carnival. The post to the account reads: Carnival/Manual Refund.

I think it had something to do with my letter to the Group Sales Supervisor that I sent on yesterday, because when I called my credit card company yesterday, they weren't even showing a credit as being pending.

Archived